FZ6R Oil Change - How To

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

i used Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle oil, thats the right weight for our bikes'
Jay,

At what mileage did your ODO say when you switched to Amsoil?

I was thinking about doing it 1000 miles. I've changed the oil 2 times already at 89 and 587 miles and used Motul 10-40 regular parafin based oil.

arkkornkid

Jay,

I was thinking about doing it 1000 miles. I've changed the oil 2 times already at 89 and 587 miles and used Motul 10-40 regular parafin based oil.
I use Amsoil too... put it in at the first oil change: 602 miles.

jay

Jay,

I had about 4500 miles on the bike when i used Amsoil, which was soon after the third oil change at 4k using yama-trashy-lube :D

clifford_05

welp finally did my first oil change. def had a good metallic look to it so glad its done. wasnt to bad except for the oil filter but everyone ran into that im sure. the screwdriver method didnt work to well for me so i used channel locks and got it with next to no problem. the filter was crushed all the way around the top but oh well. i also got the k&n filter so wont have that problem next time. so done with that and now time to go ride some.

TOMIK

I just did mine @ 320 miles, and it looked nasty compare to my sons R6, I dont know why both are Yamaha and both ar 2009, it was a easy task for me since I have the Yamah filter wrench.:)

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Superfly

Does anyone know which oil would be better for the extreme heat of Arizona?? (10W40 or 20W50)

I used to use 20W50 in my old bike, but need advice on the FZ6R??

I welcome any and all opinion...

Thank you in advance.
you're prob ok with either as the engine is liquid cooled so its only going to get to around 100C water temp...I'm running the Rotella 15W40 and it seemed to be pretty good for hot weather.

I just spent a fortune on Amsoil 10W40 and thats what I'll be changing to very soon. The bike is over 5000km now so I feel OK going to the synthetics. I'll try the Amsoil and if I dont feel any difference in shifting then its prob back to Rotella since its literally 1/3 the cost of the Amsoil...

ME_with_a_B

I changed the oil for the first time myself today... and I have to say... I feel awesome having done it!! I've never ever worked on anything involving engines... so this is quite a big deal for me. :D

So of course, I had a friend photograph the entire process.

Including the part when I wanted to destroy that POS oil filter from the dealer... OMG I thought it would NEVER come off. Two trips to the auto parts store for a wrench, clamp, you name it, still didn't help -- finally got it loose with the screwdriver all the way through it... GRRRRRRR!!!!

Oh, and I installed my flush mount signals while I was doing the oil change.

Here's a slideshow of my photos if anyone wants to check 'em out. There's a lot of 'em. :p http://tinyurl.com/FZ6R1stOC

Oh -- and a HUGE thank you to cbzdel for the how-to with photos... I printed the post out and followed along perfectly!! :thumbup:

Heineken

Elite Member

Chaos

600 miles and runnin

Just got my 600 mile change done. Piece of cake. Thanks to all the help here cuz I sure could not get the dang filter off.

toastmaster

I changed my oil over the weekend at 3000 miles. Draining the oil was so easy, but damn that filter was on there tight. Was tempted to use a screwdriver, but ended up getting it off with a combo of a filter wrench and channelock, mutilating the filter in the process :p

I'd recommend using a breaker bar, if you have one, to remove the drain bolt. The longer moment arm was definitely useful in generating extra torque in removing it.

I put in the new Rotella T6 Synthetic (5W-40), as that's what seems to only be available (Rotella-wise). I did a bit of research, and apparently the new formulation now has the JASO MA rating, which is basically the Japanese org's seal of approval for bikes. I figured things can't be that bad if Shell went through all the trouble to get the thing certified for JASO MA, and for $20/gallon, why not.

I've only ridden maybe 30 miles since then (Seattle weather is sucking right now!), but shifts are a little smoother, as well as the engine vibration. No clutch slippage whatsoever, so overall, I'm pretty happy with the Rotella.

Props to the OP for the great writeup!

Last edited:

calltrex

im at 3000

was getting amsoil but they were out.

so i got motul 5100. ill see if its better then yamalube..

and i bought the special oil filter remove and install tool

Last edited:

Superfly

Well I just put 100km on the new Amsoil 10w40 synthetic. Coming from Rotella 15W40 dyno I was hoping I couldnt feel any difference in shift quality. But unfortunatly for me Amsoil does feel slightly better during shifting and thats kinda too bad since its 3 times the cost for an oil change. I`m going to try Rotella 5W40 synthetic next to see thats as good as the Amsoil and then I`ll have an idea of which I`ll continue to use...15 bucks a qt. for Amsoil actually causes me physical pain :eek:

KenS

Just got my 600 mile change done. Piece of cake. Thanks to all the help here cuz I sure could not get the dang filter off.
Just like everyone else, that filter was a PITA to get off, I resorted to the screwdriver techniqe. Put the new one on just a bit past hand tight, no leaks (two days ago did the change, have driven a few miles since).

Spunky99

Well I just put 100km on the new Amsoil 10w40 synthetic. Coming from Rotella 15W40 dyno I was hoping I couldnt feel any difference in shift quality. But unfortunatly for me Amsoil does feel slightly better during shifting and thats kinda too bad since its 3 times the cost for an oil change. I`m going to try Rotella 5W40 synthetic next to see thats as good as the Amsoil and then I`ll have an idea of which I`ll continue to use...15 bucks a qt. for Amsoil actually causes me physical pain :eek:
I bought a case of Amsoil delivered for $115.23 from Bobby Snyder of Team Trigger.
That is equal to $9.60 a quart.

I am not affiliated but willing to spread the good cheer.
[email protected]

I'll be changing the oil as soon as my K&N oil filters arrive from Amazon.
Buy 2 at $12.59 each and you get free shipping and no tax.

The oil change with filter cost is then $41.39

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Spunky99

Do you have a link or a vendor name for that oil filter deal at Amazon??

Please and Thank you!!
Standard deal at Amazon. Just buy 2 and the cost is $25.18..any order over $25.00 is free shipping and never any tax.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E2CVI8/ref=oss_product]Amazon.com: K&N KN-204 Oil Filter: Automotive[/ame]

I was in AZ last weekend fishing at Lake Rosevelt. Didn't see any FZ6Rs. Supporting my peeps even tho I'm from Cali.

Last edited:

Blue-Sun

Elite Member