FZ6R Oil Change - How To

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

First time changing my oil on anything and lets just say everything was a breeze except the oil filter of course. Took me an hour using the screw driver method.

Question though, when I did start it up and everything I checked my dipstick and it's not in the middle, it's a little bit over the top line...

I only poured in 3 bottles (1 qt each) though and I thought I needed 2.8 or 3 qts..?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

husker525

Is it possible that you did not drain all the old oil out? Having the oil a little of the top line should not hurt much. If you are concerned at all, you can drain a little oil out, or use a turkey baster and just suck some of the oil out until you reach the desired level. It takes something like 2.98 qts, so adding a full 3 quarts will not affect anything. If you do not let it run long enough before checking it, the oil may not have gotten fully circulated. JMO

MikeN02

Is it possible that you did not drain all the old oil out? Having the oil a little of the top line should not hurt much. If you are concerned at all, you can drain a little oil out, or use a turkey baster and just suck some of the oil out until you reach the desired level. It takes something like 2.98 qts, so adding a full 3 quarts will not affect anything. If you do not let it run long enough before checking it, the oil may not have gotten fully circulated. JMO
Was on the Swing Arm stand the whole time.

I did drain it out completely I think, I let it drain for a full 20 - 30 minutes while I was working on the oil filter and it wouldn't drip anymore.

My guess is that I didn't let it run long enough, I just turned it on for about 4 minutes, turned it off and checked it.

husker525

You did everything correctly, 20-30 minutes is plenty to let it drain, and 4-5 minutes is fine to let it run after adding new oil. Maybe your bottles were just a little more full than a quart. Do not lose any sleep over it, you should be fine....

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

So I rode around today for 80 miles and when I got off I noticed there was residue near the hole where I pour the oil in. All over the "yamaha" engine casing.

I don't think this is normal. I checked the dipstick again and unless I'm reading it wrong it's still a little bit over the top. My oil light hasn't come on either.

I wiped it clean and I'm going to ride it again today to see if it happens again, if it does I'll get a dropper and remove some oil.

jay

So I rode around today for 80 miles and when I got off I noticed there was residue near the hole where I pour the oil in. All over the "yamaha" engine casing.

I don't think this is normal. I checked the dipstick again and unless I'm reading it wrong it's still a little bit over the top. My oil light hasn't come on either.

I wiped it clean and I'm going to ride it again today to see if it happens again, if it does I'll get a dropper and remove some oil.
It would have been much better if yamaha would have given us a little window which shows the oil level instead of the dipstick, i poured in little less engine oil than what is said in the user maunal as adding more is much simple, but still got dipstick oil check over the XXXXXX but no light coming up .. it's funny...

MikeN02

Hasn't overflowned out since I've wiped it...

Here are some pictures of when I opened up a can of whoop :spank:

dtrey28

Completed this for the first time too. The oil filter is a PAIN IN THE ASS for sure - it was really torqued in there! I ended up getting a filter wrench that i had to modify with some duct tape to get a better grip but ended up working pretty well.

I fired it back up and there was no oil light at all and the level looked good. If the weather ever gets nice again here a wash and chain lube and then I ready to rock.

TOMIK

If you gnna do the oil change yourself, I would highly recommend to spend $10. and get a Yamaha oil filter wrench.:)

MikeN02

If you gnna do the oil change yourself, I would highly recommend to spend $10. and get a Yamaha oil filter wrench.:)
But that's another $10 that you can be spending else where. Plus, not all of my friends ride Yamaha's and so if they ever need help doing oil changes etc I can show them the universal screw driver method.

Spunky99

I used a pair of channel locks.
Every plumber has them and you can use them for lots of other jobs around the house.

arkkornkid

But that's another $10 that you can be spending else where.
I dunno man, I'm a bit of a tool geek.... I've never thrown one away or lost one due to someone borrowing it and me not getting it back: I'll track them down.

I like having the right tool for the job, so much so that I have quite a few tools that I'll probably never use again, but they're at hand if/when the time comes.

clifford_05

I need to change my oil as well and my big question is can
you use any oil? Cause I hate the price of the yamalube and plus I've used castrol forever and was wondering if you can use regular or syn or is there a
special lube just for bikes like the yamalube stuff?? Plus the oil filter number for a k&n was kn-204 right??

MikeN02

I need to change my oil as well and my big question is can
you use any oil? Cause I hate the price of the yamalube and plus I've used castrol forever and was wondering if you can use regular or syn or is there a
special lube just for bikes like the yamalube stuff?? Plus the oil filter number for a k&n was kn-204 right??
You can't use "any oil" you can't put car oil, has to be special motorcycle oil.
I used Castrol Semi Synthetic, there's been a whole debate on to use full synthetic or not until a certain amount of miles etc.

I say that you should use semi synthetic until about 8,000 miles.

KN-204 is correct, there is 2 different ones to fit your tastes, black or chrome.