FZ6R Oil Change - How To

Superfly

ummm i just looked at that filter compatibility list and I couldnt really find the FZ6R on it but I see that somewhere it seemed to say that [5] would work so looking at that I got a Fram 7317??? I thought I remembered seeing that number somewhere so I went to my garage and low and behold thats the filter I use for my 03 honda civic. Am I to believe I can use the same filter??? I have the cap-style wrench for it already...guess thats going to fit the stock bike one as well???...

KADO

I would not suggest using a Fram filter at all. I would either go with the Yamaha version, K&N or something along those lines.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I highly recommend the Purolator filter, as would others here. It has great performance and is uber cheap. What more could you ask for?

bmw675

one more step... but important for other maintenance as well...
if you lift it up from the rear with a stand, when you let it down, make sure your kickstand is down. i raised it to try and get to the oil filter for the first change (pita btw but this write up helped) and i forgot about the kickstand. atleast my shop has a carpet floor, the traction helped me save it.

Newmason

What weight oil would you all recommend for the 1st oil change. I am going to change mine earlier (415) miles rather than wait the 600. What weight yamaha lube is everyone using?

arkkornkid

I just did my 600 mile oil change yesterday, and I don't think it could have been simpler. As stated you don't need to remove the side fairing, just remove the closest bolts and loosen the top 3 so you can pull it out of your way.

It just so happened that thanks to my "never throw a tool away" mentality, I had a socket-type cap wrench to fit the filter, which I highly recommend if you don't have one already.

I used the longer Purolator filter, PL14610. I put 2 flat washers between the fairing and the mounting bracket and that's all that was needed to keep the fairing and filter from rubbing.

No one should feel intimidated by this. I could see it on other bikes, but really this was a piece of cake.

Superfly

I used the longer Purolator filter, L14610. I put 2 flat washers between the fairing and the mounting bracket and that's all that was needed to keep the fairing and filter from rubbing.
I just looked up this filter from the fram cross ref and came up with the same filter that my honda civic use to take.

FRAM - Competitor Cross Reference

PH7317

Part Details

I thought that the yamaha 5GH-13440-20 looked similar and with the 13psi relief valve I guess that means that the civic filters will work. I have 2 honda OEMs that I bought and didnt use so I suppose I could use them up (I crashed that civic last year). I'm paying 14 bucks plus tax for the yamaha filters...I'll have to see if the Frams are cheaper...I'm not able to buy anything besides Fram...thats all the stores around here will stock.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CGENGO

I followed the directions herein, replaced the filter with one that was slightly longer (as suggested elsewhere in this forum) and added the right oil. No leaks, no drips, smoother shifting. Now I get the oil light every once in a while....when the bike is cold...for about 3 minutes...then it is gone!!! What the @$%@#$ is this?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JnT4Life

I followed the directions herein, replaced the filter with one that was slightly longer (as suggested elsewhere in this forum) and added the right oil. No leaks, no drips, smoother shifting. Now I get the oil light every once in a while....when the bike is cold...for about 3 minutes...then it is gone!!! What the @$%@#$ is this?
The longer filter requires more oil. I used the Mobil 1 filter(longer) and added the entire 3 quarts.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

porky45

I don't know why I found that any different than hooking up the HID, or LED's or putting my whole bike back together after crashing it.
because if you ef it up you blow the motor...that's why i've been hesistant. When the time comes i'll have to do it myself, I don't feel like spending $80 on an oilchange.