FZ6R Oil Change - How To

butcher bird

oil change

you really should have removed the side fairing as manual states. also you should never drive a screwdriver thru filter to remove. man i am glad you are not on my bike working! also, i would not go back w/ full synthetic until at least a thousand miles. just make sure those rings are scrubed in real good.
i donot mean to sound so critical but i would invest in a oil filter removal tool of some sort. and you keep pulling the lower tab fairing out after a while it will break from heat fatigue. just my 2cts.

FZ6R-NE

its not that important to torque the oil filter....its just a precaution for people to not over tighten the filter and bunch up the gasket. hand tight is good enough. always look on the old filter to make sure the gasket came of with the filter and didnt stay on the motor otherwise when you put the new filter on the oil pressure can cause the gaskets to blow out (and there goes your motor....)

Verranth

its not that important to torque the oil filter....its just a precaution for people to not over tighten the filter and bunch up the gasket. hand tight is good enough. always look on the old filter to make sure the gasket came of with the filter and didnt stay on the motor otherwise when you put the new filter on the oil pressure can cause the gaskets to blow out (and there goes your motor....)
I was doing an oil change on my car and i didnt notice that the old gasket was still there. I put the new oil filter in, added oil, removed all the tools, took it off the jack, and cleaned my hands. Luckily, after every oil chain, I always turn the car on and let it run for a minute or two and look underneath to make sure nothing leaks. I tap the gas to create some pressure. I got out of the car, and sure enough, oil was leaking from underneath. Turned it off, and drainned the rest of the oil out. Took off the filter, and noticed that a gasket had fallen off. Looked at the filter, there was still a gasket there. Problem solved. Tightened everything back up, cleaned up the mess, added oil and voila!

Lesson learned: turn on the machine, check for leaks before you go out. =)

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
you really should have removed the side fairing as manual states. also you should never drive a screwdriver thru filter to remove. man i am glad you are not on my bike working! also, i would not go back w/ full synthetic until at least a thousand miles. just make sure those rings are scrubed in real good.
i donot mean to sound so critical but i would invest in a oil filter removal tool of some sort. and you keep pulling the lower tab fairing out after a while it will break from heat fatigue. just my 2cts.
Why? Why remove it if you don't have to? I just changed the oil on my wife's FZ6R. I did remove the entire panel though and it was a PITA! Next time, I am taking Chris's advice! :D You actually don't have to move it very far so there's not much stress on it at all. :p

As for synthetic vs dino... All those Corvettes, NASCAR engines, MotoGP fresh engines, BMWs and others cannot be wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing out the factory oil for synthetic. I've done it for years and never had an engine problem, never had an engine burn oil. It is all in how you break it in. I break them in like I'm going to drive them period. Hard acceleration/deceleration and no sustained RPM level. Change the oil at 75 miles and go at it again. :D

Verranth

OMFG!!! How the hell did you get that f****ing oil filter out?!!

That sucker is on there good and tight...now I dont have a running motorcycle cause I have a stuck oil filter with holes all over it....

I'm going back out there to cry and keep trying...this blows. :mad:

(edit: for clarity: I'm not yelling at you, I'm just pissed as hell cause I cant get the damn thing off...:( )

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
OMFG!!! How the hell did you get that f****ing oil filter out?!!

That sucker is on there good and tight...now I dont have a running motorcycle cause I have a stuck oil filter with holes all over it....

I'm going back out there to cry and keep trying...this blows. :mad:

(edit: for clarity: I'm not yelling at you, I'm just pissed as hell cause I cant get the damn thing off...:( )
:rof: Get in your car and head to Autozone for an oil filter wrench. It might make things a little easier. Or, use one of those rubber things for opening jars and bottles in the kitchen. :rolleyes:

Verranth

:rof: Get in your car and head to Autozone for an oil filter wrench. It might make things a little easier. Or, use one of those rubber things for opening jars and bottles in the kitchen. :rolleyes:
I went to Advanced and got an oil filter...cap? I'm heading out again and try the oil filter "wrench"...hope I find a smaller one. Otherwise, I'm going old shcool on this bitch....big ass channel locks!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Verranth

Yeah, the fairings werent the problem. That damn oil filter was! :( :mad:

I finally got it out though. On my way back from Advanced it came to me...needle nose pliers!

put 2 holes in the front, stuck the plier ends in and twisted until the metal gave way (as did the entire filter).

Longest oil change EVER! I have never taken so long. 3 hrs! PITA

sigh...

At least its done :thumbup:

cbzdel

K&N oil filter FTW because of the nut welded on the end :)

Its $15 a filter but you only change it every 6000 miles so its not that bad..

KADO

I would just use a oil filter band wrench. They always seem to work good. I also warm the motor up before I change the oil so that it will be easier to get off.

Yone

K&N oil filter FTW because of the nut welded on the end :)

Its $15 a filter but you only change it every 6000 miles so its not that bad..
Can you get motorcycle filters at any parts store? And can you only get Yamalube from dealerships?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Can you get motorcycle filters at any parts store? And can you only get Yamalube from dealerships?
I ran into the problem of trying to find a filter for the bike. Especially the K&N filter. None of the parts stores carried it, or even had a part number for it. So I just got a filter from walmart that is compatible. There is a thread about oil filters and which ones will work with our bikes.

Here is the link to the specific post about the oil filters.
http://www.600cc.org/forum/230250-post4.html

cbzdel

I got mine from Cycle Gear, I doubt you can get them anywhere else.

Yamalube comes only from the dealership.. But now I use Amsoil, shifting is 1000% smoother!

JonKerr

Elite Member

cbzdel

One of my co-workers is a "authorized reseller" of Amsoil, you have to pay a yearly fee to get the cheap rate, but he does it because he uses it in everything he owns.. So he was able to get me quarts at $8 each, which if i recall correctly, it was cheaper than the Yamalube :thumbup:

gearhead

Hey CBZDEL, in other posts you have mentioned that you are using the Harbor Freight m/c lifts. I checked out the local HF and they only have one style and it lifts the bike by the singarms. Is there a difference between the front and rear lifts- maybe an adaptor? The only reason I mention it in this thread is because I will do all the servicing required, not just the oil change. Thanks!

JonKerr

Elite Member

flyingminno

Just in the process of the first oil change. With the filter wrench, took no more than a little motivation with a hammer to get it seated and used a torque wrench to remove it with no problems.

Lonelyrider

just a quick question, what oil filter wrench size is it for OEM filter? number 2 or 3? or is it 65mm? because I will be doing all the oil changes myself, might as well get a filter wrench to make my life easier :)

can someone confirm this? thanks!

Last edited: