Change break-in oil a little early?

Cerebus

So I just hit 500 miles this morning. I am leaving Friday morning for a trip and would like to take the bike. I might get another 20 on it by then, but I won't be near the 600 mark. Is it too soon to just change the oil now and continue to the next phase of the break-in process?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Cerebus

$53 for a gallon of yamalube, filter, drain "gasket", and the filter wrench seem decent from the dealer? That was with my 15%.

mtheartist

JSP

Super Moderator
I just hit 200 miles on my new bike and was reading an old thread here and came across this.http://Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power . Do any of you recall or find truth in any of this? The guy seems like he knows his stuff. And according to him you have to change the oil super early and not use synthetic right away. I apologize if this is off-topic.
Yup. Lots use this method as well vs the book method. I like it.

mtheartist

Yup. Lots use this method as well vs the book method. I like it.
Yeah after reading this I decided to open the throttle a bit more of course not exceeding 8k rpms and going to change the oil today at 200 miles. Maybe this might help answer the original question.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Cerebus

So I did my oil this afternoon and I think I pulled a rookie mistake. I'm pretty sure I didn't put the "gasket" back on with the drain bolt. Unless it was stuck on the bolt, it's not there. I did check for leaks and didn't see anything. How bad is this?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Rich007

Did mine at 500 miles yesterday and paid $41 with 9.9% tax at the dealer for the Yamaha Lube (1 gal), oil filter and drain plug washer. The dealer wanted $260 for the 600 miles service and that would include throttle body sync. "if needed".

I figured I'd do it again at 1500 miles with synthetic, you never want to add synthetic to a engine until you know the rings are completely seated or they never will.