Yet another great MotoGP race for 2011 at Jerez...

Heineken

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

ajskillz13

True, but that's what made today so great... The riders had to depend on their skills, not just how the bike is performing. I'd rather see a race like this than see one manufacturer dominate all season.

Rookasaki

True, but that's what made today so great... The riders had to depend on their skills, not just how the bike is performing. I'd rather see a race like this than see one manufacturer dominate all season.
I agree. Maybe Lorenzo was slow, however he was able to take 1st. He was the smarter one out there and knew his limits in the rain. It was awesome to see rossi take out stoner :)

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Superzoom

Although wet races aren't that much fun to watch sometimes, they really separate the men from the boys. The smoothest, most skilled riders will really run away from the others on a wet track. I remember watching Michael Shumacher destroy the others in F1 whenever it rained. Nothing to do with the cars. Everything to do with incredible ability to ride on the very edge of traction in the wet.

Well, this race is the exact reason I hate rain races in any form of motorsport. Sorry, I'm a huge Yamaha fan and a big supporter of Spies. But Lorenzo was FAR from the fastest guy. In fact, he was pretty much a snail out there. He just was able to stay on the bike when everyone else was pushing too hard. He did do a great job of riding with his head, but I like to watch a race where the fastest riders can push themselves to the limit. That can't be done in the rain.

Rossi made a rookie mistake. I can't stand Stoner, but that really sucks for him. And I was really pulling for Simonchelli. But he made the same mistake of pushing too hard in the rain. Get them on a dry track and I think the fastest guys would have blown the doors off Lorenzo. Unfortunately I just don't think the Yamaha is the best bike this year.

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Superzoom

Good observations, John. All I know is that I suck in the rain (hence my self-admittance that I'm a mediocre rider)! But riding in the rain has taught me to be super smooth. Luckily the FZ6R is a smooth bike as well. My torquey Sportster used to get me in trouble on slippery surfaces.

I agree the better riders/driver sometimes run better in the rain. But but a lot of times it does have a lot to do with the bike or car. The slower vehicles are easier to ride/drive in the lower traction conditions. Sebastian Vettel even said that when he won in the Torro Rosso in the wet. The car was one of the slowest out there and it made it easier to drive for him. For me it doesn't make for good racing usually. Nothing but attrition. Plus you look at an incident like what happened with Rossi and Stoner. Stoner was running pretty well, not ballistic fast, but solid and smooth. Rossi who's in a huge rush to prove he can win on the Ducati and who doesn't get a log with Stoner to begin with, makes a dumb mistake and takes both of them out. Now I know that can and does happen in the dry too. But it seems to happen a lot more in the wet. But in the rain, the best bikes and the best riders don't always win. Those who are lucky enough to not get themselves in trouble or not get involved in other peoples mistakes are the ones who do well. Sorry, but you can't tell me Aoyama is a better smoother rider than the likes of Rossi, Spies, and Simoncelli. He was in the back of the pack, slow, and didn't get caught up in someone else mistake or make one of his own.

Heineken

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I need a @;$-@:$;3'amd schedule!!
Funny you say that...I actually set an alarm to get up early enough Sunday to watch the race. They are usually on in the afternoon, but when I was looking at the TV guide, I couldn't find it. So I back tracked it and it was on a 7 AM, so I set a reminder and an alarm. The Moto2 and 125cc races are on Tuesday around noon.

Anywho, I thought it was a good race. I was pretty PO'ed that the track officials swarmed Rossi to get his bike restarted, and Stoner had to urge the guys to give him a hand, but even then didn't get the bike restarted. I was shocked to see that nearly a third of the field crashed out. Dedication! Even in the rain, some of the guys are going to push hard. When Spies crashed out with 3 laps left, I nearly :rant: and woke my wife up.

Last edited:

Heineken

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I cant find any vids of the rossi crash :-/ anyone else able to find it?

Detrich

i don't have cable or a mgp membership... please explain. did rossi force stoner to crash?

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member