Woodcraft clip on handlebar mod

bro_paul

Did y'all have to tap/drill the Woodcraft bars to mimic these holes? I think they're there as a "stopper," which a plastic "tit" fits in to prevent rotation of the horn/blinker and killswitch/starter assemblies.

There is another thread about the FZ1 bar swap. Seems most just slice the "tit" us you put it off. Look at fz1 bar thread around post #47.

PudNut

I may be looking into this mod. For those who have this mod, is there a significant difference in riding position? I have seen pics of them, but I cannot determine if the riding position is the same as stocks or slightly aggressive.

I have ridden a couple SS like a zx6r's and gsxr's. I have a buddy who has an fz07 who has some woodcraft clip ons that had pretty similar riding positions as stated above SS. I do want more of an aggressive position. If anyone has some pictures of a before and after of riding positions that would awesome! :D

bro_paul

I may be looking into this mod. For those who have this mod, is there a significant difference in riding position? I have seen pics of them, but I cannot determine if the riding position is the same as stocks or slightly aggressive.

I have ridden a couple SS like a zx6r's and gsxr's. I have a buddy who has an fz07 who has some woodcraft clip ons that had pretty similar riding positions as stated above SS. I do want more of an aggressive position. If anyone has some pictures of a before and after of riding positions that would awesome! :D
Go to google and type in "fz6r woodcraft cilp ons" the very first result will be a thread on here where all your questions and more will be answered by Scott_Thomas.

Also google "Fz1 Handlebars=Agressive OEM Fit" heaps of good info on bar swaps in that one too.

The search on here sucks. But google fz6r anything and usually it's first result is a thread on here.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Timtootintiger

Hey guys, just gonna bump this thread, I just did this WC mod on my 2012 fz6r. Im currently clearing lock to lock, but my clutch and brake leavers are tilted way high up. Did I do something wrong on the install?

Midori

With the bike in pieces for radiator, spark plug, and fork maintenance I figured it's time to try this out & just ordered a set. Beyond the recommendation of getting a new left grip, any recommendations or advice you can give?

Thanks!

Half-Click Up

With the bike in pieces for radiator, spark plug, and fork maintenance I figured it's time to try this out & just ordered a set. Beyond the recommendation of getting a new left grip, any recommendations or advice you can give?

Thanks!
I can tell you I didn't get new grips... just measured and drilled the control holes to match what was on the factory bars and then swapped all the factory stuff over to the Woodcraft bars. Just be sure to take your time; measure twice and drill once.

Half-Click Up

Yeah the fairings in the pictures here
Could you post a pic of your entire cockpit from above? I'm curious as to your clip-on orientation with the wheel straightened.

**EDIT
Actually, n/m... looking at your pics again, I see what you have going on. You didn't do anything wrong. My levers hit at that same point on the fairings, but the bars are only like a half inch from achieving full lock, so I don't worry about it. It's fine to lower the levers back down to mimic the factory look. It doesn't even really affect tight parking space maneuvering that badly, but just be aware of tight left-hand maneuvers and understand that you may inadvertently brake when scooting around tight quarters. You get used to it. The only fix would be a 2'' riser kit.

Last edited:

Timtootintiger

It wont let me upload a full cockpit pic cause the file is too large, but yeah exactly as you said, my mechanic and i decided that the best solution would be to just buy the 2"/2.5" risers for better clutch/brake lever ergos.
Thanks for the reply though!

Half-Click Up

It wont let me upload a full cockpit pic cause the file is too large, but yeah exactly as you said, my mechanic and i decided that the best solution would be to just buy the 2"/2.5" risers for better clutch/brake lever ergos.
Thanks for the reply though!
Cool, I haven't seen a Fizzer running that riser height, be sure to post pics when you're done.

Midori

TL;DR - I'd recommend the 41MM 2.5 inch risers for the FZ6R instead of the 1.5 inch risers.

So I went ahead and did this mod using the 1.5 inch riser clip ons. I hated the fact I didn't have full range on the steering input and the fact the brake lever touched the fairing made me really unhappy... so what's a rider to do? After reading Tim's post (above) I changed the riser from a 1.5 to a 2.5. Thankfully this was a simple secondary purchase from the woodcraft site! After swapping out the risers my controls are now properly aligned (no more upward tilt on the brakes!!!), only slightly higher, full lock to lock range on the steering input, and now have full clearance on over the fairings (both high and low). The only negative that I've been able to see is there is a slight tension on the throttle/return cable since its being forced in a non optimal path but it still moves freely without any issues.

Just an FYI for others looking to do this same mod.

MillerJ16

I just put the 1.5 woodcraft bars on my 09 fz6r..so now when i turn the levers touch. And ways i can get around that?

Grimm56

Does anyone know what size the hole where the old handlebars mount is and if it's threaded, I'm trying to get everything before i start pulling stuff apart and having two holes there would annoy me so much

Half-Click Up

Does anyone know what size the hole where the old handlebars mount is and if it's threaded, I'm trying to get everything before i start pulling stuff apart and having two holes there would annoy me so much
The holes are not threaded, but Lowe's has little black plastic hole plugs with domed heads that fill the holes nicely.
It's been several years ago, so I don't remember which size, but they're so cheap that I bought a couple different sizes at the time, and just threw away the ones that didn't fit.

Here's a link to the search results; I *think* it is the 0.5'' plugs that you'll need. Mine have been installed nice and snug for 4 years now, and have never popped out.
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=black+plastic+hole+plug

Half-Click Up

@Half-Click Up
While having the clip on kit, can you manage to lock the bike on your FZ6R?
With my particular setup preference, I’m about a quarter inch from achieving full lock to allow for key locking the forks. I believe it is possible to adjust the configuration to allow for security locking, though. It may result in an aesthetically odd looking bar arrangement.. not sure.

anon88

Hey guys, first post here, question:

Is the lowering y'all refer to simply moving the forks up in the triple tree to give the clip ons something to fasten to? I just got a used fz6r that has the stock bars, but there is already about 1.5'' of fork sticking up past the triple tree. So my bike is already lowered in the front then, correct? All I have to do is fasten the clip ons, install the controls and I'm good to go?