Woodcraft clip on handlebar mod

BBZ813

First post figured I would make it a good one. I was over the dirt bike handle bars on my fz I was more interested in a R6 but the price on a brand new FZ was just too attractive to pass up and I do love the Bike just do not care for the upright position.

The questions were annoying as well, why does your R6 have handlebars?
Is that a 300? "no" then why does it have bars?

So for those of you who feel like me this was a super easy mod.

(THE BIKE MUST BE LOWERED 1.5" IN THE FRONT IN ORDER TO CLEAR NEW BARS)

Cost : $170 for woodcraft clip on (41mm 1.5 risers) purchased from revzilla.com

tools: most of everything can be done with the tools provided in the bikes tool kit. you will need an allen key set for the clip on's as well as for the bottom triple tree clamp bolts.

I removed the upper fairings carefully removing the push pins and 4 allen bolts that old the upper (in this case black) fairings on.

Then removed accessories from handlebars, then unbolt bars slowing accessories to slide off.

(you may want to purchase new grips at this time, the left one is adhered to the bar and is a real bugger to remove. If you're good it is re-useable.)

take one half of your clip on clamps and place it on the under side of the triple tree on the fork to give you your 1.5" measurement, mark with a sharpie.

Doing one side at a time, first loosen the bottom fork clamp 1 full turn.
then loosen the top fork about 3/4 of a turn, then grabbing the fork shaft with hand twist firmly back and forth, the fork will begin to slide up in the journal. Proceed to re-torque allen bolt clamps into appropriate position then move on to the other side, lowering in the same manner.
(be careful if loosened too much the fork my abruptly slide up pinching your hand. so mark your bolt heads if you're unsure of your workmenship)

***NOTE** be sure to unbolt horn and rotate counter clockwise about 1/4 turn to clear fairing during full turning.

install clip on's on top of fork shaft that is now exposed over the triple tree. install accessories onto new handlebars,

**TIP** do not completely tighten the new handlebars until you have turn forks 100% both ways being sure to clear fairing. windscreen and top of upper fairings.

Hope this was helpful

Attachments

Last edited:

Slick

How does lowering the bike affect the turn in? I like your mod, but don't really want to lower anything. I have to watch tire pressure to avoid grinding pegs! And I just go faster if someone asks if it is a 300!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

BBZ813

I've only got to ride it once since the mod I did it the night before I left on my honeymoon and just got back today haha (I married her for obvious reasons) I must say though it feels Really good going into corners much more graceful and the front being lowered makes this bike actually feel and perform like a sports bike here's another pic

Attachments

nhlkid1307

Woodcraft Clip ons

Hey guys, just installed my clip ons this morning and figured I'd share how they turned out! So far I've rode only like 10 miles with them on but don't get me wrong, they are unreal. The handling is alot better and it corners way easier with being lowered. Comparing them to my buddys R6, it feels almost the same. You get the more aggressive look and feel while still having some comfort. It might just be me, but I feel that since I've lowered the bike an inch and a half, it makes the exhaust/motor sound better. I dont know if it is because its echoing more than it used too, but it sounds almost as if it has a deeper growl too it. Anyways, the job took me about 4 hours or so, mainly because I wasn't looking at how to's or instructions on how to do it. The only speed bump I hit was when I was lowering the bike. It was very difficult to lower the front end without the forks just dropping all the way through the triple tree. I would suggest using a motorcycle life if you have one, it will make the job much easier. I ordered them from Revzilla.com for 170$ and they shipped right on time. I highly recommend getting these, it feels and looks like an entirely different bike. Well, Ill stop talking now and just show you the final product.
IMG_4836.jpg

IMG_4838.jpg

IMG_4837.jpg

IMG_4839.jpg

sunkist

Looking at doing either this or the FZ1 bar.

its really hard to judge by pictures of the comparisons as they aren't quite the same angles.

what I would like to know is would these clips ons angle down more so than the Fz1 bar (or equivalent)?

from what I can see is these angle down (which would be better in my opinion) and the FZ1 sits level. any one had first hand experience with the two?

ST3RL0

Looking at doing either this or the FZ1 bar.

its really hard to judge by pictures of the comparisons as they aren't quite the same angles.

what I would like to know is would these clips ons angle down more so than the Fz1 bar (or equivalent)?

from what I can see is these angle down (which would be better in my opinion) and the FZ1 sits level. any one had first hand experience with the two?
Just went from fz1 barsto no rise clipons. The fz1 bars are a great replacement for the stock bar and gives you a slightly more aggressive feel while still being comfortable for commuting and touring

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

sunkist

Just went from fz1 barsto no rise clipons. The fz1 bars are a great replacement for the stock bar and gives you a slightly more aggressive feel while still being comfortable for commuting and touring

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks man. so you would say that the clip ons are more aggressive than the FZ1 bar? or much the same. i managed to purchase a bar locally for $30 so will give it a shot nonetheless

sunkist

So I installed the FZ1 bar. cant say that ive noticed much of a difference in feel compared to lowering/tilting the standard bars. Definitely looks better.

So am going to pull the pin on some wood crafts. cant find anything cheaper than $310.00AUD for someone that has em in stock.

Revzilla are asking for approx. $280AUD shipped but none in stock so i'll have to be patient.

seems to come with bar ends.. but correct me if im wrong.

Wheelies

Turns into corners much better. I also have woodcrafts along with lots of other mods. No issues whatsoever at speed or with low speed maneuvering. Think I confuse people with my low speed clutch and rear brake skills without putting my feet down. 600 ss's don't do well in low revs.
I was just curious if you need the 1.5 inch risers for clearance or if you could do 0 rise.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

sunkist

i installed the woodcraft 1.5" rise. and the only negative thing i can say is that its upsetting i didnt do it earlier. i also got the wood craft weighted bar ends while i was there.

It is like a new bike, a lot more confident in the bike now and definitely more enjoyable to ride.

i also think i put the bars closer together than what others have done. i dont mind it like this but if there is a reason i shouldnt, let me know please.

PS, was my birthday 3 days ago, so these were a gift from the missus. and i have also bought a set of matte black fairings. i think im hooked.

Attachments

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

sunkist

yeh i ended up getting plugs for the holes from local hardware.. i had a phone mount on their before but never ended up using it, so ill probably go without for now..