Want to set up as Sport Tourer

frankdevans

I just bought a 2009 FZ6R and got rid of my Honda VTX1300, and of course promptly sought out this forum to learn from the pros. Basically, I want to set my bike up like a super light FJR1300. I am a member of the Iron Butt Association, and plan on doing many more rides to pile up the mileage on my new FZ.

Windscreen: based mostly on rave reviews here, I just bought a Puig Tour windscreen (clear).

Throttle: bought a Go Cruise (the aluminum one with the thumb screw--the one that looks like they ripped off the OmniCruise), it was pretty cheap so I decided to give it a shot. I thought about getting a BrakeAway if I can find enough good review to justify the cost.

Grips: have heard myths about replacing the grips with BMW grips to make them super comfortable. Have also heard of using snowmobile bar gauntlets for cold weather. If anyone has experience with either case, I would very much appreciate the wisdom. Also, if anyone has good experience with hand-guards I have toyed with that idea as well.

Sprocket: have toyed with the idea of a +1 front, but if it only changes the highway RPM by ~400 in 6th, I'm not sure it's really worth the trouble. Thoughts?

Bar Risers: I have seen a riser on twistedthrottle.com that brings the bars up 1" and back 1". Anybody have good feedback on how to bring the bars into a more Sport-Tour mode?

Thanks much in advance for all of your help.

Bags: may start with a bungee-ed rigid duffle bag--I pack pretty light. Look at getting saddle bags later on. Not sure about a tank bag, mixed feelings on whether I really want one or not. If so, likely a small one to serve like a glove box.

Seat: very likely yes, but have considered gel riding pants like bicyclists use. I had a Mustang seat on my VTX and it was very nice. I'm always in for recommendations.

USB charger: not really interested at the moment, I don't like playing with the electrical system so I would have it professionally done. But I have found that my iPod and phone both hold charges way longer than I can stay on the bike in one day anyway.

Here go go Mate, my FJ6R! LOL I'm a proud IBA member too. Did a Bun Burner 1500 is this beast. 1550 miles in 23:36!

ypybeby8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Love the setup, the bags are great and I really like the way you did the aux lights. I have done a SaddleSore 1000 (19:18) and a Bun Burner 1500 (33:50). Started another SS1000, but a Harley in our pack broke down 200 miles in and we had to help him limp home. What do you use as a seat?

I just did the +1 on the front and I'm able to cruise better with it. However, the take off on 1st is a little bit slower (nothing a little time for adapting wouldn't fix). After seeing a few other 6r's (that sounds cool to say, like the GSXR's but with a 6) I am pointing toward the Double bubble windscreen. The sport touring windscreen looks a hair taller than the double bubble, but looks way better (like the Queen alien head from the movie Aliens). Not sure about the other stuff though, maybe someone else will speak on their behalf. :D

Here go go Mate, my FJ6R! LOL I'm a proud IBA member too. Did a Bun Burner 1500 is this beast. 1550 miles in 23:36!

ypybeby8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Holy Crap, that windscreen is HUGE!!! Where did you get that?!?!? Looks like I could tear it off and use it as a riot shield.

What kind of screen is that? How good is it at keeping the buffeting under control?

What I would love to be the case is to keep the noise down as low as possible so I can just glide through the countryside enjoying the world around me instead of the engine under me. The one thing I want more than anything else in a shield (or a bike in general for that matter) is one that I can move through the air as smooth as possible like it's not even there, and I can spend that attention on the adventure of exploration.

Marthy: have you ever considered trying for one of the 50CC coast-to-coast rides--see if you can make it to San Diego in 50 hours on the 6R? That's one of my dream trips is to get things set up perfect, a few more IBA rides under my belt, and go for the literal "cross country" ride.

I went the expandable soft bag route, added foam to the seat, Sheep's wool on top (probably the best thing ever) (Tandy leather near here had a sheep shearling hide on sale and I made one for mine and my wife's ride), Renthal bar 757, grips with soft rubber center, and of course the Puig Touring screen (was one of the first few people in America to get one, had to wait 6 months for delivery from Spain) (had laminar lip but took it off).
Love the soft bags because you can over stuff them rather than being stuck with a hard case that is what it is. Am looking into another top case that is a lot larger than that is on there now.
Found a old Harley seat at Goodwill for $8 and am going to use some more of the foam from it to do a slightly more rise in the cushion.
Don't believe in throttle locks, dangerous things to have. $.02
Just found some Deerskin gloves at Sutherland's yesterday for $15 bucks, nice, I use Isotoner with the finger tips for cellphone use most of the time, nice gloves too, both/either of the gloves make a huge difference in grip comfort, I like thin comfortable gloves when riding, have to be able to feel the grip, both the Isotoner and the Deerskin fit the bill.
Went down one (-1) on the front sprocket, with added load you need more torque for better fuel mileage not less torque (+1).

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn that windscreen is huge lol. Gotta be sturdy as hell in order for it to hold up against 80mph wind haha...

Anyway, I have seen some good hard saddlebags on http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/motorcycle-luggage.htm , check them out. They should have some decent sportbiking touring luggage options. I went with them when I was looking for luggage. How much stuff are you gonna be carrying? I would try to stick with just a top box if you don't need saddlebags. It's a lot more convenient..

Last edited:

i have 2 inch pivot risers and it helped with my comfort a lot my wrists were killing me but im short. it did stretch the cables to the max i had to actually have the front brake one replaced so i could pivot the bars back a bit.

you must do something about the seat. its sucks for 3 hours never mind 3000 miles. i just got mine done by eddie at dirt road and from what i can see its going to make a big difference and he will custom do anything you want. i will have them on wed. and post picts and review, cant wait.

Back