Need Help What needs to be done on this bike?

Intrepidflow

Hey there,

I own a 2012 FZ6R with about 180 miles on it

It’s been sitting at my folks place since 2012 basically and hasn’t been run or turned on.

I’m looking to bring it back home and begin riding it regularly and I wanted to know what things I need to do to ensure that it’s safe to ride.

I assume I’ll have to get all fluids changed out, and get it inspected to be sure everything is right. I’ve recently read that tires actually need to be changed out after a certain amount of years. The tires were brand new and only have the 180 miles on them. The bike has sat outside for the last several years under a tarp.

let me know your thoughts and how much all this might end up costing me. Thank you!

Edit: I should add that I am the first and only owner, I put the miles on it, and it’s been stored in a garage for about 9 years and outside under a tarp for about 3. No accidents in it - it’s essentially hasn’t been ridden.

Last edited:
Probably a good idea to replace the brake lines too, preferably with steel lined, something like Galfer, Check fuel line, replace tires, clean and lube cables, clean chain and make sure all links move freely, and re-lube. Make certain brake pads move freely, and rotors are clean. Tires should be replaced.... kind of old. I did that on my 2009 when I got it.. lol Probably a good idea to check and lube bearings...

Probably a good idea to replace the brake lines too, preferably with steel lined, something like Galfer, Check fuel line, replace tires, clean and lube cables, clean chain and make sure all links move freely, and re-lube. Make certain brake pads move freely, and rotors are clean. Tires should be replaced.... kind of old. I did that on my 2009 when I got it.. lol Probably a good idea to check and lube bearings...
Is there a way to tell if my tires are okay? Or can a shop identify their usability? Or would I just be risking my life on the tires just from pure age, even if they look pristine? Lol

thanks for the advise on the rest of it! I’ll look into it!

Talk with a shop, but keep in mind they have a vested interest in selling tires. :) Tires, have a 'lifespan', you can do google searches on this. Your life is worth having good, safe tires though, no matter how wonderful the original tires look. If you look at the shop manual, they may also say something about tire life. The definitely do talk about brake lines and fluid. :)) Best of luck with your 'new to you' bike!

My opinion is that tires that old just aren't worth it. My FZ6r came with a worn front tire and a "barely ridden" rear tire, checked the date codes and both were 2008. I decided to replace both rather than try to find a front that matched the fully treaded but old rear. Not sure how much influence was from going from old to new tire, or maybe old to new technology, or just going to a different tire, but man the new tires feel so much more confident than the old. Real old tires harden up and can break down internally.

Back