Should I stay or should I go...

MrsFZRblack

Damn. I hate reading this, mostly because I could have almost written it myself, and it makes me sad and angry that anyone else is having to go through it.

Before I say anything else, I want to let you know, I am not going to tell you what your ultimate choice should be. Mostly because it won't do any good. And really, no one should make life altering decisions just because someone on the internet said to.

*IF* you decide to end things, it will be because you are at the point that you absolutely cannot take another second of living like that.

There is also the possibility that you're not ready to do anything one way or the other, and for now, will just leave things continue the way they are. Maybe trying some things to hopefully make it better, maybe not.

These are your choices to make, and no one here can make them for you.

That said, here are my thoughts based on my experience with a sadly similar situation:

Yes, people CAN change, but most are creatures of habit. With my ex-husband he offered many promises of change, and willingness to work on things, and yes, even counseling (which we did). Unfortunately, it was lip service to make the argument go away. *HE* did not have a problem with his behavior, so for him really no reason to change. The cycle we ended up in was he would get better at covering things up, and I would get better at snooping. Then we'd fight, he'd promise to change and we'd start it over again. He'd find different tricks to hide his behavior, or excuses for why it wasn't so bad, and I'd find more ways to figure out what was going on.

I was experiencing a lot of different emotions regarding the situation, as I am sure you are too (not saying they are the same, just saying I know it can be confusing). When we got married I told him I was not someone who took those vows lightly, that when I said "till Death do us part" I wanted to uphold that. The idea of divorce made me feel guilty. I felt like I had to make it work. But one person cannot make it work by themselves. I also felt angry and betrayed. I was angry at all the different girls, and even confronted some, which afterwards didn't make me feel better. Sometimes I would delude myself into thinking it wasn't that bad, after all, I hadn't walked in on him in bed with someone, so maybe nothing had gotten that far. And part of me felt like I deserved the all the pain I was living with, because I chose him, I made the conscious choice to marry him and felt like maybe I just needed to live with it.

I did the same thing as you are now. I got online and posted on a forum that I was comfortable with. And I got a mixed bag of responses, some saying go, some saying stay and try harder. And I used those responses to allow myself permission to stay miserable. What I mean is, all the people saying leave let me feel justified in my anger, and made me feel like it was ok to be thinking he was an <insert favorite expletive here> and then all the people saying stay made me feel like it was ok to not want to leave, and even have hope that it would get better.

After one argument he agreed to counseling, so we tried that. What I didn't consider at the time was that someone willing to lie to their wife, is probably not going to have any qualms lying to a 3rd party. And someone that doesn't want to change what they're doing, isn't going to do the work necessary to change.

But, to be perfectly honest...I'm not sure it would have mattered. My trust was so far gone at that point that I don't know if he would have ever gotten it back.

IMO at this point you have to look at what you have and what you want out of life:

• Is she giving you any reason to think that things are going to change? And by reason I don't mean just words, are her actions backing it up?
• If nothing changes, are you willing to let life continue this way?
• If it appears to have changed, will you be able to give her 100% trust?
• What is your happiness level? (We cannot rely on others to make us happy, because we have no control on what another person will or won't do) So regardless of her, what do you need to be happy?

For me, I finally got tired of our cycle. I got tired of being lied to. I got tired of being miserable. It wasn't easy. I was leaving the man I'd loved, even with all the crap, at one point I'd loved him, and it was the life I knew how to live. Leaving was hard, and it hurt. A LOT.

But now? I thank God I got tired of all that and that He gave me the strength to get through it. Being on the other side now, I'm with someone who I love and who loves me back, and I'm living a life happier than I'd ever thought possible.

On a side note, you may not really even get to make the decision to stay or go. She's already moved out, she may be deciding to end it herself. If that ends up being the case, you may have grounds to claim abandonment in your divorce case. But you need to be careful, and not do anything in the interim that she would be able to use against you.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

MRSFZRBLACK gets a super high five on that one!

fltdriver

• If it appears to have changed, will you be able to give her 100% trust?
This would be the hardest part in my book, I trust everyone until they do me harm. I have forgiven quite a few people in life that have wronged me, but I don't trust a damn one of them

CrazyCawi

This would be the hardest part in my book, I trust everyone until they do me harm. I have forgiven quite a few people in life that have wronged me, but I don't trust a damn one of them
than you truly havent forgiven them and become at peace with the wrong they did to you. You say your okay with it and you forgave them but you really havent. Sorry I dont mean to come across harsh

6R Blackout

IMO F* Facebook, I don't have one, dont like it, to me that's all its good for is starting shit or old flames between two people! I know that doesn't help with your decision but to me FACEBOOK starts all kinds of bad things, well atleast far more harm than good!!! Sorry about your situation cause I am a single parent of a little girl and my situation started with Facebook, problem was I tried and tried and tried to keep my family together for my daughters sake but I couldn't keep it together. One thing I realized is that my ex-wife had made up her mind and she would stop at nothing. So she kicked me out of the home I bought, stopped paying for a brand new car I signed for and wouldn't let me see my little girl for weeks not to mention I barely got to talk to her on the phone. Money is one thing but not seeing your child is a pain i never want to feel again and really wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy, yeah i cried many of nights wondering about my child and if and when i was going to see her, not knowing how she was. That hurt more than any and all money issue i ever had. So I paid off a car she let get repossed, got my name off of the house I used to live in (by paying money) and am still paying on 2 credit cards she ran up to about 4K each. Which I am fighting that still to try and clear my name cause I have proof I didn't open those cards and she forged my name. Oh yeah and she also got my last years tax return of $4200. Cause she came back just at the right time and said this BS sob story I fell for and took her back moved in to the home I bought and cared for, for the past 5 years and had me believing we were good and had to file "OUR" taxes! Huh yeah I was a jacka$$ dummy! Anyways drained just about every drop of savings and other investments I had to pay a lawyer to get my daughter and visitation and to pay all this sh*t to try and clear my name and bring her to justice for forgery and some other things I won't mention for the sake of my child. Not looking for any sympathy just telling you how things can go bad and maybe will go bad, for you and for your child I hope things go completely opposite and go great and I wish you the best of luck and happiness especially for your child. So before you, or your wife makes any move talk about, get counseling, think long and hard about the BIG PICTURE! not just the little events unfolding right in front of you. I hope the best for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

Last edited by a moderator:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

6R Blackout

You make a point that hasn't been said: Nearly everywhere, the wife always wins out in a divorce. Unless the dad can prove abuse, or abandonment, or something equally nasty, the woman usually wins in a divorce.

I've got some legal background, and drafted a separation agreement that gave me custody of my child. My child's mother signed it, because she got some stuff she wanted. She really didn't give a rip about "our" son.
Yeah your right my EX-wife really doesn't care about "our" daughter either she cares more about MONEY!

BoneJj

You make a point that hasn't been said: Nearly everywhere, the wife always wins out in a divorce. Unless the dad can prove abuse, or abandonment, or something equally nasty, the woman usually wins in a divorce.

I've got some legal background, and drafted a separation agreement that gave me custody of my child. My child's mother signed it, because she got some stuff she wanted. She really didn't give a rip about "our" son.
Yeah your right my EX-wife really doesn't care about "our" daughter either she cares more about MONEY!

people like that disturb me, how can you not care about your own child??????????

CrazyCawi

people like that disturb me, how can you not care about your own child??????????
because to go to the lengths they have in divorce usually means they have done some deviant acts....they have seperated themselves from the normal of life, and selfishness takes over.

BoneJj

because to go to the lengths they have in divorce usually means they have done some deviant acts....they have seperated themselves from the normal of life, and selfishness takes over.
more like their true selves take over....

MustGoFaster

Sorry to come out of left field on this, but I have to disagree with you here Josh. If someone steals from me, I can forgive him, but I'm not leaving him alone near an open safe. That's just common sense. If you trust someone who has proven they aren't trustworthy, then you won't get any sympathy from me when they betray you again.

How's that saying go? Fool me once shame on you...
That's a big 10-4 there, Rubber Ducky. Took the words right of my mouth.

Forgiving does NOT equate to a restoration of trust after a vicious betrayal. It merely means I won't destroy you.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

See red

It usually comes down to women being bitter...... My ex-wife slept with another man, I walked in and after the divorce she uses my daughter as a pawn to get (even??) with me for leaving her? lol!

The only thing you can do is do right by your children and hope they see the truth through actions and not the b.s. that gets told to them. I don't say anything bad about my ex, I don't lie either. When my daughter now 13 asked me why we divorced, I told her that we were incompatible... She touts off how her mom told her my wife STOLE me??? So I told her the truth, I travel for work, I came home a week and a half early, she was in bed with another man. I left her.... She went back and confronted her mom.. Her mom yelled at her that if I was a better husband she wouldn't have had another guy lol!!!! My daughter called her a liar, walked out called me and apologized.

You can f-up all day if you want, but by doing right you don't need to use that whole day focused on the next move.

CrazyCawi

Id like to hear your feelings after all of this being said....

buzzbomb

Elite Member