Should I or shouldn't I?

lothodon

Current ride, 2003 R1, bought new in 2004. Current issue...I'm getting OLD, as in 39.2 today.

I've got the opportunity to pick up a new 09 FZ6R in white (yes, I know it's got pink graphics) for $4500. I've got the cash, took the bike for a ride (was VERY impressed) and all I need to do is pull the trigger.

Question for the long time riders is this...How's the 200+ mile ride comfort for the stock setup? I'm sick of my shoulders and butt cheeks hurtin' after 75 miles as I'd much rather ride farther than faster.

Just looking for some input, pros/cons, opinions. How's the price?

The FZ6R is VERY comfy for long rides. At least for me it was. I know many others that go on long rides and feel the same way. I could hit 8+ hours on it and be fine. The seat position, leg position and bars all make for a very comfy ride.

For new, that is a very good price.

thanks for the input everyone. i took the white out for a 20 mile ride the other day and was blown away by the performance. and this was coming off my r1 too. rode to the dealership, about 50 miles, then rode the 6r about 20. the second i got back on my r1 to go home the pain returned.

i can live with the pink for the rest of the year and get it painted this winter (friends in the right profession ROCK). i'm just trying to NOT be impulsive an think this one through. don't want another bike purchase for many years after this one.

Hey, I rode an 03 R1 until about a month ago when I got my FZ6R. I could ride the R1 for about an hour until My back was on fire. I bought the 6R and could only ride for about 30 mins until My back hurt. I got some bar risers and they helped, but a seat upgrade seems like a must for long rides. For me I just had to get used to the bike, I rode the R1 for 2 years and I guess I just got used to it. The thing with the 6R is You can move around a lot more, like different postitions for long rides.

P.S. My R1 is for sale on here in case you wanted 2 of em.:D

i can live with the pink for the rest of the year and get it painted this winter (friends in the right profession ROCK).
The decals on the fairings can be rmoved pretty easily. I think the tank decals are under clearcoat.

i'm just trying to NOT be impulsive an think this one through. don't want another bike purchase for many years after this one.
At least based on this forum, it seems that riders who leave the FZ6R do so because they think they've "outgrown" its performance. If you've been to the R1 and back, it sounds like you have a good idea what you want out of the bike, and I bet it'll be a keeper.

No way I could ride an R1 any length of time, I'm 48 with recent back surgery (May 24th full lumbar fusion of L4-L5). Sunday went on about 5 hr ride, 150+miles with 3 brief stops (once for gas and twice for smoke/stretch) and no problems on 6R. Didn't really need to make extra stops comfort wise really, just being liesurely, could have made just the gas stop and would have been fine. I find this bike more comfortable than the cruisers I've owned.

Here's the most simple answer to your question, "Should I or shouldn't I?"

You should. :D

HA!!! That made me spit soda out I laughed so hard. Guess that seals it then, I SHOULD!

Seriously, thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Means more coming from existing riders than a dealership salesperson or review site.

HA!!! That made me spit soda out I laughed so hard. Guess that seals it then, I SHOULD!

Seriously, thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Means more coming from existing riders than a dealership salesperson or review site.

I really think you will be happy with it. You have felt the power of it and the riding position. If that is what you want in a bike, this is a great one to have. :cool:

Chimming in a little late, but have been sick and haven't been on for a while. I'd say with confidence DO IT. I'm 54, have owned nearly 30 bikes from supersports to cruisers. This bike has an amazing blend of performance, comfort, and handling. It's not going to get through the twisties like the R1, but you'll be able to ride in those twisties all day. For me, the FZ6 was a little more comfortable on the really long days 500+ miles, but I've done 300+ on the 6R with no problems. Went on one long ride to Reno and then up into Lake Tahoe and averaged 57 MPG with a best tank at 60 MPG. Insurance isn't too bad either since it's only 600cc.

Enjoy

Chimming in a little late, but have been sick and haven't been on for a while. I'd say with confidence DO IT. I'm 54, have owned nearly 30 bikes from supersports to cruisers. This bike has an amazing blend of performance, comfort, and handling. It's not going to get through the twisties like the R1, but you'll be able to ride in those twisties all day. For me, the FZ6 was a little more comfortable on the really long days 500+ miles, but I've done 300+ on the 6R with no problems. Went on one long ride to Reno and then up into Lake Tahoe and averaged 57 MPG with a best tank at 60 MPG. Insurance isn't too bad either since it's only 600cc.

Enjoy

Why did you sell the FZ6, Mart Man? I heard the FZ6 was gutless at low RPM's, but I hear people spouting off about how the FZ6R is inferior to the FZ6 in every other way (of course none of them have ridden both).

unfortunately, i discovered some VERY shady business practices from the dealer I was working with. they refused to sell me the bike for $100 MORE so that I could then get the $750 rebate Yamaha is offering.

they claimed they already figured the rebate in, so that this way i didn't have to be 'bothered' to deal with Yamaha. it was enough that i didn't trust the dealer and i walked away.

not to mention the release of the 2011 in orange but a serious doubt in my mind in regards to the white. i think i'll wait out this winter, sell my r1 outright and grab the 2011 orange.

How about a nice used FZ1 instead? R1 power, good suspension, very comfortable.

Why did you sell the FZ6, Mart Man? I heard the FZ6 was gutless at low RPM's, but I hear people spouting off about how the FZ6R is inferior to the FZ6 in every other way (of course none of them have ridden both).

I actually had two of them at one time. Both '07's one of each color for that year.

P4060002.jpg

I sold them because I was getting ready to buy a new house. Went about a year with no bike at all and got the bug back. I really liked the FZ6 which was made it hard to buy the 6R, because I didn't know if I'd like it as much. I like the looks of the 6R much better. The FZ6 had way more power, but you did have to get into the higher rev range to enjoy it. Once you got there though, hold on. Thing would get front wheel happy after 10K RPM. I really like the 6R as well, but if I had to choose which was more comfy for the long rides I'd have to give the nod to the FZ6. Seating position was just a little more upright and my legs weren't bent quite as much and the seat seemed much better. Now I'm talking rides over 300 miles in a day. I do like the exhaust position on the 6R better. The back portion of the seat on the FZ got really hot from the rear exit. I'd have to say that you really can't go wrong with either FZ.

Back