Helmet Review/Comparison (Scorpion EXO-1k, Icon Alliance, Bell Star Carbon)

iSpoolin

Alright guys, so in my time riding i've had a few helmets, and I know it's frustrating when you can't really find any comparisons/reviews of some of the "lower" end helmets to the more "upper" class helmets. So I figured I would right a little about these.

I'll start off with the Scorpion EXO 1000:

• AIRFIT CONCEPT: HelmetPump permits a rider to personalize helmet fit through air adjustable cheek pads with additional noise reduction. Only by SCORPION EXO!
  • Fiberglass/Kevlar Matrix Shell: Quiet, aero-tuned design for wind-tunnel tested comfort. EPS-lined chin bar for additional protection.
  • SpeedShift quick-change retractable shield system (patent pending): Easy, secure tool-less fog free Everclear faceshield changes in ten seconds or less. No adjustement needed: the shield retracts while closing.
  • KwikWick moisture-wicking helmet liner and cheek pads: Breathable, easily removable and washable.
  • Ventilation system:Adjustable, indexed front and rear vents with aero-tuned rear spoiler reduce lift, create vacuum and maximize airflow through helmet.
  • Breath-deflector: Enhanced fog-free performance.
  • Chin-cover: contributes to noise reduction.
  • Everclear Shield: The most effective fog free shield on the market.
  • Certification: Snell/DOT Certified

This was my first helmet. I rode about 8000 miles in it, then I dropped it from the backseat of the Daytona at the end of the riding season last year. So I replaced it (we'll get to that later).

This helmet was GREAT, Price when I bought it was $399, and with some of the awesome features it has it was well worth it. It had MANY pros and they well outweighed the Cons. To stary with the list:

Pros:
  • WELL vented, you could feel the air rushing through the helmet when you had all the vents open
  • NO FOGGING, in all my miles with this helmet it NEVER fogged. Not even on morning's when it was below freezing.
  • Drop Down Visor. I commute to work at 5:30AM and couldn't stand switching visors all the time, so I purchased a dark smoke drop down shield. Clear visor stayed on my helmet all the time and when the sun came out I could just flip down the dark shield :thumbup:
  • "Pump Up Cheeks", this feature was one that I thought I would never use, and was just one of those "for the hell of it" features Scorpion had threw in. However I found my self using it all the time. By using the pump, that was easily accesible while riding, I could pump the cheek pads a little tighter on my face and it elminated a lot of wind noise.
  • Comfort, this is something that can be different for everybody, but for me the round headshape of the EXO 1000 was outstanding.

Cons:

• Weight, the thing weighed almost four pounds. Which for the first little bit I had the helmet really caused a tired neck after a day of riding. You get used to it, but it sucks at first.
  • View, the view is alot smaller in this helmet then in the others I have worn. Seems like the top of the helmet is ALWAYS in view.

So pretty much, nothing really bad I can say about the EXO 1000. If somebody asked me if they should buy one I would tell them yes!

The next helmet in the line up is the Icon Alliance.

• All world standard, meets or exceeds the following: DOT FMVSS 218 (US), ECE 22-05 (Europe), SAI AS1698 (Australia) & SG (Japan) safety and testing standards. Does not ship with SAI or SG certification stickers unless purchased in that country.
  • Injection molded Polycarbonate shell
  • Wind tunnel tested and refined
  • Molded twin channel supervent for increased cooling
  • Rear exhaust ports prevent heat buildup
  • Internal on/off cheek exhaust switches
  • Removable molded breath deflector
  • Chin venting system reduces shield fogging
  • Fully removable/washable HydraDryTM interior
  • Quick-change fog-free eye ProshieldTM
  • ProLockTM secure shield locking system

I bought this helmet to replace my EXO 1000 back in December. My brother has one, and he loves it, so I decided to give it a shot. I wasn't very happy with my purchase.

I got it for a great deal from RD so I won't disclose the price I paid, but it MSRP's for $225. This one is the exact Opposite of the EXO 1000, the Cons outweigh the Pro's by far.

Pros:

• Vent's well, this thing will move some air!

Cons:

• It is a BITCH to change the shield. Takes 5 minutes every time considering you have to pull the side plates off of the shield you had on and everything else. It is just a complete hassle.
  • Shield Locking Mechanism. This thing is just stupid. All the locking mechanism is is a hole in the shield and pin coming from the helmets frame. Once locked down it takes a good amount of force to open it back. I've locked and unlocked it probably 10000 times trying to loosen it up a bit and still nothing. You still pretty much have to pull the helmet of your head to unlock it.
  • LOUD! Earplugs are a requirement with this thing. Below 50 MPH it is not that bad, but once you get up to freeway speeds it is just horrendous.
  • Fogs, I usually have to ride with my shield up in the morning's if it is below 45 degrees. Which is just ridiculous.
  • Shields are jittery, it's not a smooth action when you put the shield up. It clicks about 50 times :laugh:

So, pretty much all I have to say about the Alliance is bad things I know, but it is what it is. It's a budget helmet, that will protect you if you crash, but it's not going to make you very comfortable riding.

Next up on the list for this thread is the Bell Star Matte Carbon, my most recent purchase. It MSRP's for $680.

• Velocity Flow Ventilation system with FlowAdjust for maximum ventilation and temperature control
  • Super stable aerodynamic signature resists buffeting and lift
  • Lightweight Carbon Fiber Shell (Kevlar/Carbon/Fiberglass blend for the normal Bell Star)
  • Contour Cut Cheekpads for superior fit and comfort
  • 3Mode Shield for instant on-bike shield adjustments, and
  • ClickRelease for the fastest, easiest, toolfree shield swaps ever
  • NutraFog II superior anti-fog, anti-scratch and UV protected shield
  • Removable and washable, antibacterial/antimicrobial interior comfort liner
  • Exclusive Magnafusion magnetic strap keeper (Patent Pending) - NEW FOR 2010!
  • Padded chin strap with D-ring closure
  • Five-year warranty
  • Certification: Snell M2010, DOT

After my horrible experience with the Icon Alliance I bought the Bell Star to replace it. I don't think I could have made a better choice. After riding this helmet for about 800 miles now I will never buy a "Budget" helmet again. The Pro's outweigh the cons on this helmet obviously LOL

Pro's:
  • LIGHT! Haven't gotten to actually put it on a scale yet, but from what i've read the Matte Carbon weighs 50 grams less then the original star! That's only about one eighth of a pound, but still.
  • Airflow, this thing vents more air then anything i've ever seen! I'm a guy that just shears my hair with the clippers, and I can tell you what, you can feel that air rushing through with all the vents open!
  • Shields, I can't stand to ride with a clear shield in the daytime, so I didn't opt for the transitions shield, but I did get the Dark Smoke, and I can tell you what, that thing is DARK on the outside, but you can see through it clear as day. Got stuck out in at night and could still see just fine!
  • Liner Material, the liner in this helmet is amazing. The material grips your skin, however you never feel it! Never lets a drop of sweat escape either! Even though sweating is pretty rare in this helmet.
  • Shield Changes, takes literally 3 seconds maybe. Lift shield, push in two tabs, shields off. Line up the new one and snap in place. That simple

Cons:
  • Kind of noisy. This is kind of expected though with the amount of venting this thing has though. With earplugs or headphones though it's nothing to complain about.
  • Use of glasses is a little complicated. Being so tight it is kind of hard to fit glasses in, but they do work just fine once you get them in there. Also in the colder mornings the breath deflector puts your breath right on your glasses and will fog them.

That's it for now, I'll write up some highly detailed reviews one day when I have time. If you have any questions just let me know!

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Spunky99

Nice review.

Bell's website says that it weighs 1500 grams which equates to 3.3 pounds..super nice!

The EXO Scorpion 1000 weighs 1821 grams and is about 4 pounds, 1/4 ounce, like wearing a old skool hydroshock football helmet....yikes.

The Akuma Phantom II MFR weighs 1367 grams or 3 pounds even and that is maybe the lightest helmet on the market. Bell has the optional Transitions shield for the Star for about $120.00 and Akuma has it as a standard feature.
The Bell has DOT and SNELL 2010...big plus as you need this for racing.

I was really thinking about getting the Bell but it was almost $300.00 more than the Akuma ($363.72) and I really didn't like the graphics or the matte finish they offer. None of them go well with a red bike.
Now I have to think about the noise factor on these new superlight helmets.
I don't like to wear earplugs but I will if needed. With the Exo 400 or 700, the bike noise isn't too bad. How was the noise factor on the Exo 1000 as compared to the Bell?
Also I have a pair of glasses with a narrower frame that fits better in a tight helmet that I use for riding only. I ordered them from Zinni Optical for about $50.00 with progressive lenses.