Shifting the FZ6R

Yasmar

I've owned the bike since the beginning of summer. I drive it everyday back and forth to work (rain or shine).

One of the complaints I've had is with how the bike shifts. Sometimes it's a smooth ratchet like shift and sometimes it's a vague double click feeling (and not just between 1 and 2 obviously as there should be)

I'm sure using synth oil might smooth things out a bit, but I prefer to just use regular oil and change it very frequently.

Anyways, to get to the point, the method I use for smooth consistent shifting (just upshifts, downshifts requires a different method) is to slightly (and I mean slightly, as in 1 pound of force) preload the shifter (ie pulling it up with very little force) and making sure your revs are above 5500ish. It seems that the bike shifts poorly below this RPM <but not consistently poor which is the strange part> (note: I use my clutch too :)

Before this I was typically shifting the bike around 4800 or so but noticed that with higher revs came smoother performance.

Hope this is helpful to someone. Let me know if you've experienced the same thing with the transmission in this bike, or maybe there's a better method for smooth consistent shifts.

Yasmar

ps. I blip the throttle when down shifting the bike. Smooths everything out nicely. Plus it's good practice for keeping consistent brake pressure and changing the engine speed all with the same hand! <very difficult actually> <you can use the back brake to practice the concept of blipping the throttle at first then switch to your right hand>

<warning you'll be bobbing up and down a bit till you get good at it :) >

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

06330i

I clutchless shift often, and typically between 5-7k it shifts smoother than even using the clutch, just left of the throttle lightly, shift, back on throttle.

wtnotch

I clutchless shift often, and typically between 5-7k it shifts smoother than even using the clutch, just left of the throttle lightly, shift, back on throttle.
To me, it seems like the more aggressively you ride the FZ6R, the smoother clutchless shifts are. Just a little preload on the shifter, a quick blip of the throttle and thats about it for both up and down shifts.

Russ

Wooster

I've owned the bike since the beginning of summer. I drive it everyday back and forth to work (rain or shine).

One of the complaints I've had is with how the bike shifts. Sometimes it's a smooth ratchet like shift and sometimes it's a vague double click feeling (and not just between 1 and 2 obviously as there should be)

I'm sure using synth oil might smooth things out a bit, but I prefer to just use regular oil and change it very frequently.

Anyways, to get to the point, the method I use for smooth consistent shifting (just upshifts, downshifts requires a different method) is to slightly (and I mean slightly, as in 1 pound of force) preload the shifter (ie pulling it up with very little force) and making sure your revs are above 5500ish. It seems that the bike shifts poorly below this RPM <but not consistently poor which is the strange part> (note: I use my clutch too :)

Before this I was typically shifting the bike around 4800 or so but noticed that with higher revs came smoother performance.

Hope this is helpful to someone. Let me know if you've experienced the same thing with the transmission in this bike, or maybe there's a better method for smooth consistent shifts.

Yasmar

ps. I blip the throttle when down shifting the bike. Smooths everything out nicely. Plus it's good practice for keeping consistent brake pressure and changing the engine speed all with the same hand! <very difficult actually> <you can use the back brake to practice the concept of blipping the throttle at first then switch to your right hand>

<warning you'll be bobbing up and down a bit till you get good at it :) >

Yes sir....Pre Load and shift in higher RPMs works best with this bike. I suck at blipping the throttle though. I seriously need help and practice with that.

Fenixgoon

i got much better shifting over time...now it's just buttery smooth. mmmmmmmm. i love just clicking through the gears and hitting them perfectly <3

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Yasmar

THE FZ series.. all of them, have clunky transmissions. It's the way they are.

That's too bad.

Anyone with personal experience know how trannies in the supersport bikes (ie. r6 or r1) compare to the fz6r?

Night and day perhaps? :)

surfphotochris

Clunky shifting on fz6r

That's too bad.

Anyone with personal experience know how trannies in the supersport bikes (ie. r6 or r1) compare to the fz6r?

Night and day perhaps? :)

I have had these bikes in the past: Honda CBR F2, CBR f4, GSX-R600, GSX-R750, and an assortment of cafe racers as well. I just recently picked up a 2012 fz6r for my daily commute and I am pretty pissed at how clunky the transmission is on this bike. The only way I have found to get this bike to shift smoothly is the high rpm clutchless shifting or to ride the heck out of the clutch! I am not a beginner rider and have many years racing track so it is not NOOB error or anything like that. After researching it... FZ6 series are just a cheap tranny!

To answer your question? Yes night and day! Although my brother has the R6 and his tranny is better but still sucks. perhaps it is just the cheap jap parts that Yamaha uses :(

buzzbomb

Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Chevyfazer

I have had these bikes in the past: Honda CBR F2, CBR f4, GSX-R600, GSX-R750, and an assortment of cafe racers as well. I just recently picked up a 2012 fz6r for my daily commute and I am pretty pissed at how clunky the transmission is on this bike. The only way I have found to get this bike to shift smoothly is the high rpm clutchless shifting or to ride the heck out of the clutch! I am not a beginner rider and have many years racing track so it is not NOOB error or anything like that. After researching it... FZ6 series are just a cheap tranny!

To answer your question? Yes night and day! Although my brother has the R6 and his tranny is better but still sucks. perhaps it is just the cheap jap parts that Yamaha uses :(
Looking at your past bikes it doesn't look like you have ever owned a 4cyl Yamaha from 2000+ or period. Almost every Yamaha 4cyl I've ever been on minus a the R1 ( might have had something to do with the slipper clutch) had the same feel of the tranny. I could feel a difference in the clutches but they all have that "clunk" it's not a sign of cheepness it's how rock solid they are built. Ever drove a big rig? Or a 60-70's muscle car with a 4spd Muncie? Far from being cheep trannys but very "clunky"

I know that's comparing apples to oranges but I'm sure you get the idea. Also the way Yamaha's clutches engage vs the Hondas are night and day difference which effects it greatly. Obviously your not a noob but you bike is new as well, have you ever owned a new bike? It also needs some time to get broke in.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Chevyfazer

What is a slipper clutch?
I'm not 100% on how it works but basically it's a clutch they put in R1's and other bikes that "slips" when your slowing down using engine braking to help to keep the rear tire from locking up. They are mainly for engine breaking but I imagine it could also effect the take off as well.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

BKP

I have to agree with Buzz...

The CBR I had prior to the 6R shifted very similarly, except might have been just the slightest bit smoother between 1 and 2. Otherwise, I *always* shift >5k, usually 5.5 or 6k, and you often wouldn't even know it upshifted (or downshifted for that matter), other than the change in speed/revs.

I don't believe it's a matter of a cheap tranny (I did a little back-research on any transmission complaints/issues/feedback, since the bike's been out a few years), and found a few common issues on Victory, a couple of Hondas, a Triumph model, Suzi, and a few Harleys, but nothing on the FZ6R.

This isn't a defense of the FZ6R, merely an observation. It *can* feel clunky in 1st to 2nd (or vice versa), and you can't be lightfooted going into 2nd from 1st, for sure. However, otherwise, it shifts smoothly (unless you follow Yamaha's Owner Manual's ridiculous shifting points).

Deathdiesel

Hmm and I thought maybe it was just me. Anyone had the issue of when shifting to 2nd to neutral you get sort of a grinding feeling?