Shifting from 1st to 2nd at high rpms

J

justBlue

My FZ6R shifts through gears pretty smoothly. But, when I'm trying to come quick off the line and rev up the rpm's (like racing) above 8,000 in first gear it pops into neutral instead of into second gear when shifting up... I'm just sitting there in neutral winding out rpms. Embarrassing. I broke the engine in at shifting always around 4-6,000 rpm. I'm asking if you think my engine is broke-in to shift at lower RPMs (5,000 miles on bike)? - freaks out at upper red line rpms or, just a skillset issue on my part.... :(

I mean do you have to really shift it HARD up to second so it passes Neural ? my other gears at high revs roll in like a feather....

Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:

jasper909

I had the same issue, and still do occasionally. I took the bike into the dealer and they said they could not recreate the problem and blamed it on my inexperience (which I am).

I took it home, adjusted the shift lever lower, and raised the seat. It seems better now with a lower shift lever, but it still happens occasionally.

Might be something to just get used too unfortunately.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
J

justBlue

Yes!!! The "False Neutral" I believe that's what has happened to me also (only like twice)... but, it was weird - I was in higher gears matter of fact (on FZ6R) - playing around with this Mustang GT. Thought I lost my trannie. You jarred my memory - but that would explain it!!
Houston, we have a problem!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bert-Aus

Dont worry I stalled my ride at an intersection yesterday morning!
Whats worse is that it happened after a beautiful balance stop (no feet down) at a Stop sign.:thumbup:

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

latony007

Dont worry I stalled my ride at an intersection yesterday morning!
Whats worse is that it happened after a beautiful balance stop (no feet down) at a Stop sign.:thumbup:

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
You guys stop at stop signs? :D
We have the California Roll here lol
i dont believe i have noticed that shifting problem but to be honest when i hit it i usually dont rev 1st as much as the other gears, but im curious ill try it.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Pvee

I had a funny experience.

I have ridden motorcycles for over 50 years, but last summer I bought a new pair of riding boots.

The first time I took off down the road with them on, I couldn't get past 2nd gear, turned around and went home. Started around the block, same symptom.

Turns out these boots were probably 1/2 inch thicker than my old riding boots so after I shifted up, I wasn't letting the shifter drop back down far enough so it would shift up again.
So I came home and adjusted the shift lever so that it could ratchet properly..

You get acclimated and doesn't seem right when you have to do something different...lol

blkbrd

Elite Member