New member needing advise about 1st bike

NAFz6rJr

Hey all!!! new to the forum and new to the riding game....I am in the market for my first bike and it has been narrowed down to the 2012 kawasaki 650r and 2012 fz6r.... i joined this forum cause i am leaning towards the yamaha...I am 6'0 195lbs and relatively new to riding....My biggest question is simply, Are there any reasons at all that i should not buy the new fz6r?

Hey all!!! new to the forum and new to the riding game....I am in the market for my first bike and it has been narrowed down to the 2012 kawasaki 650r and 2012 fz6r.... i joined this forum cause i am leaning towards the yamaha...I am 6'0 195lbs and relatively new to riding....My biggest question is simply, Are there any reasons at all that i should not buy the new fz6r?

Are you a zombie? :zombie:

If not, no... you should definitely buy this bike!

First off Welcome :thumbup:
Trying not to be Biased here... The FZ6R is a great bike. It won best bike in it's class 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650 vs. 2009 Suzuki GSX650F vs. 2010 Yamaha FZ6R - Motorcycle.com The 6R is a good bike to learn on, and it's a lot more forgiving if you make a mistake... But don't kid yourself... The bike can tear it up too. Read the Article it will explain further. I know it's not all about the numbers but this bike will do 12.2 1/4 mile and hit around 130MPH! not bad for a 600 sportbike ;)

zombie, lol, maybe...

Very helpfull article rook!

Glad you like it... Basically, our bike is perfect for the newbie rider etc... But it's also a bike for the Veteran as well. It's a great all around sportbike. I assume you know the difference between a supersport and a sportbike?

yeah i know the difference....i'm smart enough to know i cant manage a supersport yet....in the article they were talking about scraping the footpegs on the yamaha. and on the vid you can actually see and hear the scrape. Is that an issue or am i just a worry wart?

yeah i know the difference....i'm smart enough to know i cant manage a supersport yet....in the article they were talking about scraping the footpegs on the yamaha. and on the vid you can actually see and hear the scrape. Is that an issue or am i just a worry wart?

Scraping the pegs is normal... On our bike the pegs sit lower to the ground so they scrap a lot easier then a supersport. I have a link below to my youtube channel check it out... Also Jonkerr (member here) has some good videos tearing it up... He's the guy in our banner up top!

Scraping the pegs is normal... On our bike the pegs sit lower to the ground so they scrap a lot easier then a supersport. I have a link below to my youtube channel check it out... Also Jonkerr (member here) has some good videos tearing it up... He's the guy in our banner up top!

Thanks man, yeah i figured i was being a bit overdramatic...It hasn't really swayed my decision much and this forum is really helpfull

From the same article posted by TheRook:
"We consider the GSX650F, Ninja 650R and FZ6R – any of which can beat a Corvette to 100 mph – to be entry level sportbikes, and not necessarily ideal for first-time riders."

I am 6'1",201 Lbs and Riding Yamaha's for about 12 years...they always have been a well built easy to maintain, and a very depedible fun bike.....In my Opinion I would reccomend it.

Welcome to the forum. One reason I chose the 6r over the ninja was this forum and after almost 800 miles of riding it since it was delivered on March 13 I am very happy with my choice. An awesome machine that has loads of power but is manageable for a newbie like myself. It would help to know what experience you have with motorcycles. What bikes have you ridden. If you have no experience at all on motorcycles then this would be a challenging bike to learn on becasue of the weight and power. I spent 4 years on a 200cc duel sport and stepping up to this bike has been an eye opening challenge. As the saying goes anyone can twist the throttle and go fast but can you really ride the bike. I am lucky that I live in a remote area with lots of quiet open roads and parking lots for practice. Learning to maneuver at slow speeds, getting smooth with the clutch and throttle, being able to feather the clutch to control the power this bike is capable of delivering, and learning the brakes, are just a few things that are critical for being as safe in traffic as possible. This is not the bike to have a first throttle mistake on. I don't want to throw cold water on your enthusiasm, but riding a motorcycle, especially this motorcycle is not a game. It is serious business that takes a lot of skill and concentration to avoid pilot error that could be costly in life and limb. I am a long way away from worrying about scraping a peg, but I am proud to say my chicken strips are getting narrower and narrower with each practice session, and although challenging, I find this bike a lot of fun to practice skills on. Good luck with whatever bike you decide on and I hope you have as great a first experience as I have been having.

Welcome to the forum. One reason I chose the 6r over the ninja was this forum and after almost 800 miles of riding it since it was delivered on March 13 I am very happy with my choice. An awesome machine that has loads of power but is manageable for a newbie like myself. It would help to know what experience you have with motorcycles. What bikes have you ridden. If you have no experience at all on motorcycles then this would be a challenging bike to learn on becasue of the weight and power. I spent 4 years on a 200cc duel sport and stepping up to this bike has been an eye opening challenge. As the saying goes anyone can twist the throttle and go fast but can you really ride the bike. I am lucky that I live in a remote area with lots of quiet open roads and parking lots for practice. Learning to maneuver at slow speeds, getting smooth with the clutch and throttle, being able to feather the clutch to control the power this bike is capable of delivering, and learning the brakes, are just a few things that are critical for being as safe in traffic as possible. This is not the bike to have a first throttle mistake on. I don't want to throw cold water on your enthusiasm, but riding a motorcycle, especially this motorcycle is not a game. It is serious business that takes a lot of skill and concentration to avoid pilot error that could be costly in life and limb. I am a long way away from worrying about scraping a peg, but I am proud to say my chicken strips are getting narrower and narrower with each practice session, and although challenging, I find this bike a lot of fun to practice skills on. Good luck with whatever bike you decide on and I hope you have as great a first experience as I have been having.

well said. i'm always torn when i sell a bike and it's the buyers first. aside from me talking them out of it, i at least suggest they find a friend with any kind of dirt bike first and get some seat time, mentioning specifically that going down that way is gonna be A LOT less expensive and prob painless to the body also

well said. i'm always torn when i sell a bike and it's the buyers first. aside from me talking them out of it, i at least suggest they find a friend with any kind of dirt bike first and get some seat time, mentioning specifically that going down that way is gonna be A LOT less expensive and prob painless to the body also

When I bought this bike at Approval Powersports, which deals in mostly super sports, what struck me the most was how the sales staff, who all ride, size you up trying to decide if you are going to survive your purchase. LOL

By the way the reason I am sitting here posting and not riding is because it won't stop raining. :(

When I bought this bike at Approval Powersports, which deals in mostly super sports, what struck me the most was how the sales staff, who all ride, size you up trying to decide if you are going to survive your purchase. LOL

By the way the reason I am sitting here posting and not riding is because it won't stop raining. :(

i dig their name - congrats, your credit is approved for $8000., but sorry your riding ability only approves you to a ninja 250-500:mad:

Thanks....its good to have people that are willing to speak the truth even if its not exactly what you wanna hear....My experiences with riding are pretty limited, I took the safety course and my father has an old ass kawasaki vulcan classic 800 that i have been pushing around for about 4 months. I am not interested in a cruiser style bike and i want to buy a good reliable bike that i will want to have for a long time... Everything that I read about this class of bike fits all of my generals wants

im not sure of any local shops near you in laurel but not too far away is ellicott city motorsports thats where i picked up my fz6r new. i recommend them because they have a great staff working there on floor and in service. check them out.. Yamaha 2012 FZ6R Motorcycles
they also have the gzxr if you decide the fzer isnt right for you.

Thanks....its good to have people that are willing to speak the truth even if its not exactly what you wanna hear....My experiences with riding are pretty limited, I took the safety course and my father has an old ass kawasaki vulcan classic 800 that i have been pushing around for about 4 months. I am not interested in a cruiser style bike and i want to buy a good reliable bike that i will want to have for a long time... Everything that I read about this class of bike fits all of my generals wants

I am very happy I went with the 6r and it will be a bike I will be satisfied with for years to come, and it will be years of riding to begin to realize the capabilities of this bike. Just realize your limits and stay within them and let the fun begin.

im not sure of any local shops near you in laurel but not too far away is ellicott city motorsports thats where i picked up my fz6r new. i recommend them because they have a great staff working there on floor and in service. check them out.. Yamaha 2012 FZ6R Motorcycles
they also have the gzxr if you decide the fzer isnt right for you.

Yeah Ellicott City is nice, I went there last Friday. I am on a waiting list or something for the first "Raven" 2012 to come in...

Back