Laid the bike down for the first time....

Last edited:
So, I'm having a hard time riding because of the crash. I really don't know how far I can lean before it just "tips over". I still ride, but I can't corner at all.

Can someone please tell me how fast can any of you riders take the turn I low sided on? I want to gauge what the bike is capable of.

I was doing roughly 35. Could anyone here take it faster and make it?

Reason being, even when I'm on the highway in like NY or NYC, the highways sometimes have a sharp curve in them and I basically slow down to about 35 when all the other cars are still doing 55ish.

You should be able to take it at the signposted limit.

A bike slides out due to anything from poor road surface to uneven weight distribution, poor throttle control, greasy tyres, braking mid turn or just jerky handlebar use.

As you get to the corner look through it, get that head right over and look right through the corner to where you want to be.

Keep a tiny bit of positive throttle on to settle the bike, weight will shift to the rear slightly and stop the rear washing out.

Keep your toes on the foot pegs, not the ball of your foot, but toes as the last thing you want is a boot scrape distracting you.

Push the handle bar on the side you want to turn away from you and lean with the bike.

You've seen jon kerrs photos of him taking corners, knee down so don't panic, you know the bike is capable of it.

Squeeze the tank hard between your knees, which will keep your upper body relaxed, lean over with the bike, don't fight it, keep looking around that corner while attempting to kiss your handlebar and you'll be through it.

Alternatively if this stuff is really bothering you, do some advanced rider training, in the UK we have bikesafe run by the police or we can just pay for a days riding tuition or do IAM or ROSPA training there must be an american equivalent out there, consider just doing a half day riding with an instructor and talk to him about your needs.

You just need your biker mojo back and there is no shame in getting a bit of extra help. It's smart.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

So, I'm having a hard time riding because of the crash. I really don't know how far I can lean before it just "tips over". I still ride, but I can't corner at all.

Can someone please tell me how fast can any of you riders take the turn I low sided on? I want to gauge what the bike is capable of.

I was doing roughly 35. Could anyone here take it faster and make it?

Reason being, even when I'm on the highway in like NY or NYC, the highways sometimes have a sharp curve in them and I basically slow down to about 35 when all the other cars are still doing 55ish.
You have to realize that the speed limit is posted for all vehicles including school buses, oil trucks and Buicks with 88 year old grandmas. Your bike can handle double the posted speed limit, can you? - is another question. Driving on a highway at half the speed of the traffic is as dangerous as speeding out of control. You must take a Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced classes to learn the proper skills to be safe and enjoy your ride.
I can't imagine you are having fun now when slowing down to stay upright.
People travel to the Deals Gap to ride in twisties, you seem to try to avoid them at all possible cost.

I know exactly how this feels because I was on a long run with alot of guys that like to dip out and roll pretty hard. We were going about 90mph...everyone knew this turn was coming up but I didnt....I had never been on this road before....I quick decide shit I need to slow down so I apply brake pressure front and rear and realise we are going down hill in an S curve....Not prepared for it so I downshifted and I panicked a bit as I was rolling faster into this Hairpin S than anticipated and clicked 1 gear down to far, Rpm's blasted up and my rear tire kicked out....Now I saved it....But it scared the shit out of me....the rest of that ride I couldnt hit a corner hard for the life of me, no matter how hard I tried to lean I just wasnt leaning....my mind was fighting what I thought I was telling my mind to do.

It will take a few more rides, just focus on that turn and follow your line.....if it helps, before you go riding, replay these memories through your head but instead of leading into the accident lead into a corrected outcome and drive right through that turn

I really want to lean, but I don't know how far I can pull the lean until it's too much and I just tip over... I mean that's exactly how my crash happened. I leaned too far and I was going too fast in a corner, and I tapped the front break (most likely) while letting the throttle off too sharply and the bike just tipped over...

I want to learn how to take these corners harder and faster, but I can't afford another fall $$$$. I feel like you either make the turn, or you fall and have to try again. One problem, every fall costs a lot of money in repairs :(.

To be honest, I would have NO PROBLEM buying a 250 beater and falling all day (given that I'm wearing 100% armor on the body, I just want to learn hands on how to take corners without worrying about damaging my newly repaired bike.

Practice makes perfect. Find a parking lot, empty, and practice turns there.

Use the lines for spots as turns "entrances" and "exits"

I was told that a small amount of rear brake in a turn can help slow you down enough, if you are going into a turn. I never tested it, I try to get my entrance spied in check before the turn.

SampsonNation, sorry I'm too lazy to read the whole thread to see if it's mentioned what your riding experience is. I always say, get a cheap dirtbike and learn how to brake, slide etc safely - it really does transfer over to street riding. an entry level track day either on your bike or a class one also will take your street riding to a new level

every corner is different, just like rider vs. rider, so saying "how fast can I take that corner" will vary depending on who is doing it. just because rider A can take it 60mph certainly doesn't mean rider B will be able to.

one thing that is a fact is these bikes are very capable of performing well over what most of us are able

I feel like if I knew the speed at which I can take a corner safely at, but still fast, I can push myself to inch my way up to that speed while knowing I'm making progress.

I don't really have any space for a dirt bike in New Jersey, but maybe I can get a track day.

I feel like if I knew the speed at which I can take a corner safely at, but still fast, I can push myself to inch my way up to that speed while knowing I'm making progress.

I don't really have any space for a dirt bike in New Jersey, but maybe I can get a track day.

a track day will do exactly that. you can safely go over the same turns and see what feels better/best for you. you can also follow someone that is faster than you and see what their line is through the corner and try to figure out why you can't maintain the same speed - is it your approach, your braking, your acceleration through, or just don't feel comfortable

my 1st track day I was lapping around 1:50's, and by end of day, I shaved off 30 seconds a lap (which is HUGE!) down to 1:20's. = then I went back to the street and actually slowed down because I felt so nervous about traffic, trees, guard rails etc.

Hellz yeah! Another NJ rider!

Did you track with your own bike or theirs? I feel like if I do mine, I won't want to push the limits because I could end up downing it... But at the same time, I don't want to damage a rental either :D

Back