I am in love with the fz6r, but...

grizzanator

i dont agree with some of these guys i just sold my HD and i bought the 2012 fz6r yamaha make great products but nothing compares to and HD and the people say other wise never owned one that a fact....HD have a soul and they are just as reliable as any other bike its all proper maint i sold mine do to over $300 month payment but i do love the fz6r as well so buy what you feel good about just keep in mind HD come with a lot better warranty and a maint plan so for three year not a dime comes out of your pocket unless you buy upgrades..

anson650

I think the 2010 Raven FZ6R is a beautiful bike. I think the 1200R Sportster is a classic that defines "motorcycle". If I could afford to do it I would have one in my living room just to look at, and polish. But I wouldn't ride it. I don't like the feel of the a V twin. I like a vertical twin and I like a four, inline and V4. What I don't like about the FZ6R is how high they have to rev to make power and how busy that sounds. Take your time, try them out. There are several good choices on the Hudson valley CL. There's a 2009 1200C up river, and 2010 raven FZ6R out on Long Island. If I could only have one bike... ??
Anson
Good Luck
After sleeping on it, if my choice were just these two, I'd pick the FZ6R.

Last edited:

va_bank

I've been riding cruiser my whole riding career. If you want *a* HArley, you won't be happy with anything else until you get it. But don't kid yourself that if you get a Sportster it will be your last upgrade. It 's never anyone's last bike, unless you just quit riding altogether. Once you'll want to get rid of it, you will find it difficult to sell, it's the most commonly available bike there is. Lastly, the whole thing about age - in my riding club we have 60 year olds on Ninjas and Hyabusas and we have 22 year olds on Harleys. The age thing is a myth - a motorcycle is a motorcycle.

6R Blackout

IMO Research, research, research!! Do listen to what your wife said, about 10-15 more riding years. Also IMO, buy brand new and something that will give you exactly what you are looking for maybe even look into "I believe someone stated, Aprilla" or a Ducati or Triumph! Whatever you choose really really give it thought, so you will never second guess yourself, remember buy new and buy big, just so 6mos to a year down the road you don't say shoulda bought a bigger bike! Good luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

24KMACH

2. She added, if you are going to upgrade, upgrade once and that's it... again the age factor came into the discussion. "You have approx. 10-12 years of riding left".

Lets see now. I'm 68. Does that mean I should have a walker instead of my 6R? :(

Doncan

I just want to say that today I was riding my '10 FZ6R alongside a friend on his brand spanking new raven '11 GSXR 750. At a given moment we stopped to talk and stretch and he was complaining about his back and neck so I told him to switch bikes for a while to compare. After about 30 mins later we stopped again and my buddy was almost begging me to let him continue riding on my bike. He was praising it for how easy and relax was to ride it. After riding his gixxer and getting back on my FZ6R, it really made me grow my love for my baby...

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Superzoom

Hey Ngengs,

Currently own an FZ6R, and used to own a 1200 Sportster Roadster.

Here are my thoughts, some objective, some very personal and subjective:

- I like my FZ6R a lot
- I loved my Sportster
- FZ6R has almost no character
- Sportster had lots of character
- FZ6R is an amazingly well balanced bike with very few flaws
- the Sportster is very well balanced for a cruiser with a few annoying flaws (very poor cornering clearance, lousy stock suspension and seat)
- I really like the power curve of the FZ6R for a 600, but the engine itself is pretty dull
- the torquey Sportster engine is really wonderful and has way more character than the FZ6R while still being real world practical
- in Canada, at least, Sportsters retain their value just fine. There are no bargains to be found here for used Sportsters (or any other Harley for that matter)
- the Sportster is a farkeler's dream. The aftermarket is astounding, and allows you to transform it into whatever type of bike you want
- both the FZ6R and the Sportster are extremely reliable
- the Sportster is extremely simple to work on
- the FZ6R handles WAY better than the Sportster

Having said all that, I'm going to keep my FZ6R. The FZ6R fits my needs extremely well. There is very little wrong with the FZ6R.

BUT the Sportster was easily my favourite motorcycle that I've ever owned. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who:

a) wants a bike with lots of character
b) doesn't need a bike that handles really well
c) enjoys cruising at close to legal speeds as much as burning up a back road

The Sportster is really the epitome of the "slow" bike that's fun to ride. They say it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow, and I agree completely.

Only you can answer which bike is "best" for you. Do you want handling, or do you want character? They're both great bikes.

Flipflash

Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

ngengs

Hi all,

I am relatively new in this forum and I have been gathering as much info as I can about this beautiful bike before I buy it. I was also considering a ninja 650, but I became convinced that the fz6r was the sportsbike for me.

As my title says there is a BUT... yesterday a friend and I test rode a bmw f650 gs and a Harley 883 Iron Horse. I was not too crazy about the beemer, BUT the HD was not what I expected. One word WOW! and the sound, like Pavarotti singing Nessum Dorma - live!!!! (sorry for going operatic on you all!)

So for those of you who have the FZ6R and an HD or another non-sports bike, please HELP!!!! If you had to give up one, which would it be?

I realize that these 2 are very different, distinct animals, both beautiful. A couple of points that the wife made:

1. Considering how late I joined the riding game (52 years old), upgrading from a 250cc, she said go for the HD! The sportsbike is for "Youngens" not for the "youngens at heart".

2. She added, if you are going to upgrade, upgrade once and that's it... again the age factor came into the discussion. "You have approx. 10-12 years of riding left".

3. It's a HARLEY.

Very important to note, that I can't have both! It's one or the other.
I have made up my mind... after reading everyone's comments and researching further, I have decided on the FZ6R!!! Having the all important GREEN LIGHT from the wife (for financial reason & as well as others), it is now entirely up to me when to pull the trigger. The dealer near me has it for $7199+500 reg & doc fees + 7% tax = $8203.
Lastly, even though this is for the 2009 model, and it was a middleweight sportsbike shootout, I felt compelled to share, even though it may have been posted previously:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2009AugShootout.pdf

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU!!! Hopefully, my next post will be after my first rid on my FZ6r! Cheers...

CrazyCawi

So glad to hear it!!!! cant wait post up pictures

danieljardim

I have made up my mind... after reading everyone's comments and researching further, I have decided on the FZ6R!!! Having the all important GREEN LIGHT from the wife (for financial reason & as well as others), it is now entirely up to me when to pull the trigger. The dealer near me has it for $7199+500 reg & doc fees + 7% tax = $8203.
Lastly, even though this is for the 2009 model, and it was a middleweight sportsbike shootout, I felt compelled to share, even though it may have been posted previously:

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU!!! Hopefully, my next post will be after my first rid on my FZ6r! Cheers...
Come down to jersey. I got the same deal for a 2011. You may wanna check it out.

Bargain a little, you may be able to get it down as low as $6499.00 for the bike. Mine I paid $6999.00

JSP

Super Moderator

Thats WAY high for a 3 year old bike... Just think, once you drive it off the lot, you now have a 3 year old USED bike. Your value just tanked down to about $5k. That price should be for a brand new '12.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Spunky99

When I went to the motorcycle shop to look at bikes, I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C and a moderately cirrhosed liver. It was May 5, 2010 and I was experiencing my first day of permanent sobriety and was buying myself a present. Cinco De Mayo...and I was sober....WTF?

I looked at these three bikes.....

The Harley

The Suzuki

The Yamaha

So I pondered the technology....
The Harley was an air cooled, heavy, carburetor equipped bike that requires you wear a 1/2 helmet and assless chaps......leaks oil and all your fellow riders drink a lot.

The Suzuki was heavy, only 500cc and carburetor equipped. Old technology and no spark.....

The Yamaha was 600CC, water cooled, fuel injected with potential FUNNNNNNN.....

I'm old so the Harley made sense but I knew I would try to run The Snake in Mulholland on it and crash. Just because you own a cruiser doesn't change how you think or ride and I'm a sport bike kind of rider.
So if you want to grow facial hair, get some tattoos with skulls and wear a useless 1/2 helmet with sunglasses while wearing assless chaps and work boots, a Harley is for you.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member