I am in love with the fz6r, but...

ngengs

Hi all,

I am relatively new in this forum and I have been gathering as much info as I can about this beautiful bike before I buy it. I was also considering a ninja 650, but I became convinced that the fz6r was the sportsbike for me.

As my title says there is a BUT... yesterday a friend and I test rode a bmw f650 gs and a Harley 883 Iron Horse. I was not too crazy about the beemer, BUT the HD was not what I expected. One word WOW! and the sound, like Pavarotti singing Nessum Dorma - live!!!! (sorry for going operatic on you all!)

So for those of you who have the FZ6R and an HD or another non-sports bike, please HELP!!!! If you had to give up one, which would it be?

I realize that these 2 are very different, distinct animals, both beautiful. A couple of points that the wife made:

1. Considering how late I joined the riding game (52 years old), upgrading from a 250cc, she said go for the HD! The sportsbike is for "Youngens" not for the "youngens at heart".

2. She added, if you are going to upgrade, upgrade once and that's it... again the age factor came into the discussion. "You have approx. 10-12 years of riding left".

3. It's a HARLEY.

Very important to note, that I can't have both! It's one or the other.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I think that at your age you should go with the FZ6R because if your young at heart thats what matters, stay young at heart. Thats just like presuming your in your 50's so you need a gold wing trike.

You need to do what excites you and keeps you happy. I think you would be very comfortable and happy on our bike as it mixes the sexy sportyness of a full faired bike, with the comfort and luxury of a touring bike. Im not saying this because I am biased, I am saying this because of the bikes I have ridden and then coming to this bike. Its bulletproof, dead sexy, a head turner, comfortable, your best friend in corners, your best friend in the straights, good gas mileage....I can go on for hours.....

But ultimately just close your eyes and picture yourself on a bike...if its a sport bike stay with the fz6r. If you picture yourself in a half helmet cruising down the road with some goggles...go for the harley

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I wouldn't view a HD 883 as an "upgrade" as you are losing a smooth predicable sport tourer to a rattle & hum thumper. The WOW factor you experienced is the torque, something most inline EFI bikes lack in the low end. The longevity of the Yamaha will far exceed the HD. Last, the 883 is the "entry" HD and doesn't retain value. Look at the resale of used HD 883's compared to the FZ6R.

If you like the torque WOW factor but the feel and stance of a sportbike, look into any of the V-twin Japanese bikes. The Suzuki SV650 is a machine that has withstood the test of time. It's not a top-end bike but the low grunt and torque of the V-twin is a sure WOW. If you really want wow and power to spare (say for touring fully loaded) look at the SV1000. ;)

CrazyCawi

Or he can stick with the fz6r and change the sprockets to give him the low end zip?

Fizzer6R

I wouldn't view a HD 883 as an "upgrade" as you are losing a smooth predicable sport tourer to a rattle & hum thumper. The WOW factor you experienced is the torque, something most inline EFI bikes lack in the low end. The longevity of the Yamaha will far exceed the HD. Last, the 883 is the "entry" HD and doesn't retain value. Look at the resale of used HD 883's compared to the FZ6R.

If you like the torque WOW factor but the feel and stance of a sportbike, look into any of the V-twin Japanese bikes. The Suzuki SV650 is a machine that has withstood the test of time. It's not a top-end bike but the low grunt and torque of the V-twin is a sure WOW. If you really want wow and power to spare (say for touring fully loaded) look at the SV1000. ;)
this, but I'd look at an aprilia or ducati so you get a bike with passion and soul, like he seems to feel from a HD.

"change the sprockets to give him the low end zip" - doing this on an inline 4 doesn't come close to the feel of a v-twin/four, it's a completely different animal you can sense riding from the engine, bars, seat etc.

yfz6r

What king of 250 are you riding? What are your likes and dislikes about it?

Also look at the FZ1. That will have some bottom-end torque, good looks, and very comfortable. The gen2 is a slightly more sporty seating position than the gen1. They are both amazing.

Don't be intimidated by big motor bikes. Just be sure to respect it.

CrazyCawi

this, but I'd look at an aprilia or ducati so you get a bike with passion and soul, like he seems to feel from a HD.

"change the sprockets to give him the low end zip" - doing this on an inline 4 doesn't come close to the feel of a v-twin/four, it's a completely different animal you can sense riding from the engine, bars, seat etc.
Thank you. Everyone has a little different feel of things, and the more I think of it I agree with you.

wtnotch

A bit long, but FWIW ... LOL ...

On my way to the FZ6R, I've owned Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, BMW, Ducati and Harley motorcycles - from supersports to cruisers. The last Harley I had was a FatBoy custom.

I bought the Harley because I rode a friends, and it just made me smile. At the time, I also had a BMW RT1100 that I bought based completely on logic. It was great for commuting but felt pretty much like an appliance. I put over 30K miles on it but it never really did anything for me.

Then, a couple years later, I rode a Ducati Monster and freaking loved it. So ... I bought one of those and sold the Harley.

After around 4K miles on the Ducati, I sold it to build a race car. I missed the bike, but I missed having ANY bike more than I missed the Ducati.

Another year later, the race car was finished, I felt the 'need' to have another bike and bought the FZ6R, primarily for commuting - with no test rides. On the ride home from the dealer, I cracked a big smile under my helmet. A year and a half later, I still have the FZ6R and still love it.

I'm sure some other bike will come along that I just 'have to have', but that hasn't happened yet. Would I buy another Harley? Yep. A Ducati? Sure, but just not right now.

Unless you completely mismatch the bike to it's primary use (like maybe a supermoto for commuting 200 miles daily all on freeways :) ), just about any bike will work.

Longevity on modern bikes shouldn't really be an issue. They have all come a long way.

My call, don't over analyze it and buy what makes you smile. The Harley and the FZ6R are completely different bikes, but they're both fun.

And 52 is still young :)

Russ

Last edited:

ngengs

Thank you. Everyone has a little different feel of things, and the more I think of it I agree with you.
Thank all of you!!! I will take all your input into consideration when I make my decision. I failed to mention that with regards to the FZ6r, all I have done is read and research about it along with other sportsbikes that I liked. I have yet to test ride it. My problem is that most of the dealers around me do not allow test ride.

I will continue to look for a dealer that does allow test rides. then I should be able to make up my mind.

Lastly, from the comments received, FZ6r still is tops for me, hopefully, the test ride will seal the deal.

THANKS AGAIN ALL!!! ... LOVE THIS FORUM.

Fizzer6R

Thank all of you!!! I will take all your input into consideration when I make my decision. I failed to mention that with regards to the FZ6r, all I have done is read and research about it along with other sportsbikes that I liked. I have yet to test ride it. My problem is that most of the dealers around me do not allow test ride.

I will continue to look for a dealer that does allow test rides. then I should be able to make up my mind.

Lastly, from the comments received, FZ6r still is tops for me, hopefully, the test ride will seal the deal.

THANKS AGAIN ALL!!! ... LOVE THIS FORUM.
search craigslist and find a used one to test. i'm also in favor of saving $ buying used instead of new

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

jocampo

Hi all,

I am relatively new in this forum and I have been gathering as much info as I can about this beautiful bike before I buy it. I was also considering a ninja 650, but I became convinced that the fz6r was the sportsbike for me.

As my title says there is a BUT... yesterday a friend and I test rode a bmw f650 gs and a Harley 883 Iron Horse. I was not too crazy about the beemer, BUT the HD was not what I expected. One word WOW! and the sound, like Pavarotti singing Nessum Dorma - live!!!! (sorry for going operatic on you all!)

So for those of you who have the FZ6R and an HD or another non-sports bike, please HELP!!!! If you had to give up one, which would it be?

I realize that these 2 are very different, distinct animals, both beautiful. A couple of points that the wife made:

1. Considering how late I joined the riding game (52 years old), upgrading from a 250cc, she said go for the HD! The sportsbike is for "Youngens" not for the "youngens at heart".

2. She added, if you are going to upgrade, upgrade once and that's it... again the age factor came into the discussion. "You have approx. 10-12 years of riding left".

3. It's a HARLEY.

Lot of nice comments here. Let me give you my opinion.

I believe that in terms if bike's behavior, reliability, fuel economy, etc, people here can give you a true and honest advice. But in terms of personal preferences or what you should sell or get, is just like that, a personal preference; we should not decide for you.

I've had the fz6r for about 6 months , maybe more, and like you I am also thinking on selling or getting a new bike. On my case, is about the look and the low end torque or power. I saw the Ducati Monster and the Street Triple and it was love at 1st eye. But I am still thinking about that, because riding position, gas consumption and even insurance; all those factors are very important to me.

If your bike is more a hobby than anything else, not a commute bike, you should get whatever makes you happy. But think about your riding style as well and physical conditions too, for example

-Do you ride alone
-Do you have back problems
-How often your ride
-You care about mpg
-You care about Insurance
-Do you like high vibration engines or smooth ones
-Is the look and brand important for you

Think about all those factors. And if you believe a different bike would make you happier and you can afford it, ride it, test it, and get a different one.

:)

Last edited:

DaveMK

Tough choice. The Harley's pretty sweet. If ya can't get both I'd say go for the fz6r since like a cruiser bike the Yamaha is very comfortable for long trips and you get a bit more sportiness over the Harley.

Not a biased opinion since I didn't buy the bike for aesthetics but rather the entry level they market it on and after purchasing it 9 days ago I'm completely in love with it. Just going crazy ordering aftermarket parts to change the appearance a bit.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

ngengs

My dad had an 883 a few years back. It was a cool bike, but felt very top heavy to me. I was never comfortable riding it. The few times I rode it, I felt like it was always on the verge of falling over. I've never had that feeling with any other bike I've ridden. He sold it and got a Honda Spirit 750 Custom, which turned out to be an awesome ride. Just my $0.02.
Oddly enough, I did not find the 883 heavy at all. This was my thought before swing a leg over, especially that I only have a 250cc. Physically, I am 5'10" about 200 lbs.

KeysRider3

Hi all,

3. It's a HARLEY.

Go to any dealer, or check CycleTrader and see how many used Sportsters with less than 3000 miles on the odometer are available. Lots. The 883 is their entry-level bike, and "most" riders want something larger (Dyna or Softail) within a couple of months of buying their Sportster. With fluids it's about 100 lbs heavier than the FZ6R, requires premium fuel, and bone stock has only about 65% of the hp as the FZ6R. No doubt it sounds great with Screamin' Eagle pipes, or another after-market brand (plus the required Stage 1 high performance air filter), but it won't run like or with the FZ6R, and because of how H-D changed the road-to-frame clearance and side-stand mount a few years ago you'll have to be careful about leaning too much into a left corner. It will also cost you more to purchase by at least $1000 (HD=MSRP), and then service. My first Harley was a 1200R, followed by a Heritage Softail Classic, and currently a Road Glide. I like both bikes, but if I had to give one up it would be the Road Glide. 52's plenty young. I'm 62, and enjoying riding more than ever. Whatever you decide, I hope you'll stay with The Forum.