GoPro Hero 3

Looking great for those wanting a cheaper camera! Between the Contour Roam 2 and now the GoPro 3 white, great cameras below $200.

3 versions of the GoPro 3.

HERO3 Cameras | More Powerful in Every Way | Most Advanced GoPro

White edition is like an upgraded HD Hero 1 for only $199!

Silver is like an upgraded HD Hero 2 for $299

and Black is balls to the walls kick ass for $399.

Great options and awesome to have a choice. The HD hero 1 is a great camera so the White edition being upgraded version of that is a killer deal. But that Black edition is amazing features, if you want that much of a camera. I would be super happy with the White, especially for that price.

Last edited:
Been thinking the same thoughts.

I've been looking at them heavily now as well. If you end up getting it really soon let me know how it is.

I'm currently setting aside for my TBR so GoPro will have to wait a little longer.

How's the sound quality?

It looks to be better.

I've got an original HERO POS, and a Contour HD. For ease of use the Contour is great. I'd like to have actual stereo sound however.

How's the sound quality?

It looks to be better.

I've got an original HERO POS, and a Contour HD. For ease of use the Contour is great. I'd like to have actual stereo sound however.

They claim the sound quality has been much improved.

They claim the sound quality has been much improved.

that footage is absolutely incredible. Im baffled at the advancement in such little time....

Looks like they are scimping on the mounts... No suction cup mount and only 1 flat and 1 curved? Weak sauce. $30 for suction cup.

Last edited:
I've got the original Hero, and the newer Drift HD... However, the Hero 3 black is *compelling*!
I video *every* ride (including the 10-minute "errands"), and mount mainly on the handlebar... However, with that lower profile, I might go for the multiple cam views on the longer rides...

Might have to bite the bullet for that... (the mortgage can wait).

Thinking harder about it, the black may be more than any of us need or can actually USE... NONE of us have a display that could even remotely come close to 4k resolution. There are some tv's out there that can, but they are $20k sets. Plus, when we upload to Youtube to actually SHARE our vids, the quality gets compressed pretty good anyways. There is the 2.X Resolution on it as well, but even that is more than we can use. Plus, try and actually edit that kind of video and it will take days :eek:.

So you are pretty much getting the Silver Camera anyways, just with the wifi remote and the 1 extra photo pixel and 30 fps camera shot.

I think the Silver package would be the best bang for the buck for what we want. Its an upgraded HD Hero 2, smaller, lighter, supposed better quality with the upgraded lens, etc. Think that is the one I would go for.

Or, you can now get the HD Hero 2 for $199 in a few places right now and have almost the same camera PLUS get the good mounts, suction cups, etc.

Hmm....

Well, if 4k was the only difference, I might agree with you. However, starting with 4k (Ultra HD):
  • 4k is becoming (quickly) the new standard in large screen TV (especially 3D), so if you show your videos at home, the 4k will be relevant, and spectacular, on a big screen.
  • The Hero 3 Black also has a 120 frame per second rate at 720p resolution, and 1080p at 60fps, so if you like to capture high-speed moving activity, and then slow it down, and maintain the resolution, that's important.
  • If you like to take multiple photos in succession, at a high resolution, the black will do up to 30 shots per second at 12MP, the Silver only 10 shots at 11MP.
  • This for me, is a biggie: Low light capture. One of the reasons I bought the Drift HD, in addition to the GoPro HD, was the low-light quality. GoPro falls flat here. I understand, however, the Black (only) has improved that.
  • And, of course, the WiFi remote is included (which practically evens out the price between silver, and black, if you feel you need it (which I do).

Perhaps none of these are important. However, with the pace these things come out, I hate to obsolete myself sooner, rather than later...

EDIT: Thanks, Dart. I was replying to Jay same time as you, I guess...

The advantage is not the resolution (which some pc lcd can display)... it's the 1080P 60FPS or super slow mo ability at 720P 120fps and on.

So if you're using it for court purposes (able to stop and do frame by frame with really good detail), or really cool slow mo videos, then you would want it for that.

And $100 more is not that bad.... considering I paid about $600 for my Sony HD handy cam just a few years back, this little guy is amazing.

just makes the decision process harder... so many choices...

Decisions, decisions! :D Just for me personally for what I want the cam for and what I can actually use, the Silver is the clear choice for me. 60 fps is more than enough for good slow mo shots from what I have seen with my HD1.

Although, the Black does come WITH the wifi remote which is sweet.

Yes... for only $100 extra, I guess you all are right haha. That is quite a bit for only that little amount. You do realize I am trying to talk myself out of the black no? :D Either way, I WOULD be happy with either.

Back