FZ6R Spark Plug replacement

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Jay S.

Thanks!

Roaddawg,

I just wanted to say thanks for this great write-up. Changing plugs on an I-4 can be a bit "painful" but your post sure made it easier on this bike. I appreciate you taking the time to share that with everyone.

:thumbup:

Thanks again bro!

Roaddawg

Roaddawg,

I just wanted to say thanks for this great write-up. Changing plugs on an I-4 can be a bit "painful" but your post sure made it easier on this bike. I appreciate you taking the time to share that with everyone.

:thumbup:

Thanks again bro!
No problem man. That's why this forum is great...helping each other out. I can't believe its been over two years since I posted this thread!!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Hey Martin,
I helped a older gentlemen change to those in his car (Buick), he thought they would make it run better, he said after a few weeks of driving they made it worse and asked me to remove them and go back to standard plugs. Only experience I have had with them, and not a favorable one.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

That's what I tough... I ordered a set of NGK, they're in sale at MSStore. -10% coupon too.
Thanks!
Yeah I just did the NGK too. I set them to the lower scale of gap (28). The IX aren't bad (iridium).

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

chewmieser

Just did this, took about 2.5 hours. The biggest pain was putting all the hose clamps back on, my fingers are pretty numb after that (pliers work somewhat, but I had to use my fingers quite a bit). And, yeah, the rubber cover took a bit to get back in place as well.

Thanks for the write-up!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

2416ryan

Thanks so much for posting this!! :)

Once we switch to the iridium plugs, anyone know how long we can wait between changing plugs? 12k, 16k miles maybe?

WeatherB

I'm due for my spark plug change... This is the perfect thread to help, thanks for posting it OP!

Anyone know what the torque spec are for the plugs? Also, what's the gap range?

A screenshot of the service manual would be much appreciate. :D

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

WeatherB

Everything I have ever read for spark plugs is that you just turn until they are nice and Finger tight. You never want to make them super tight.
When I did mine I just kept turning the included (tool kit) spark plug wrench until it stopped and with light pressure would not turn anymore.
Okay thanks. I've done plugs on cars before and they actually have a torque spec, although it's barely anything, something like 7 ft/lbs.