Considering a new car

mdgreene2001

mdgreene2001

Interesting, my wife and cousin have a few hyundai's in their past, and I know a couple of friends with them over the past few years and have heard pleasant things about them, no real issues to speak of.
I was a Hyundai tech for 2 years. I will say that in 2005 they hired the Mercedes quality control chief and in 2006 Hyundai became a completely different car. A Hyundai today (2006-present) is as mechanically sound as any other import car the only difference I have seen is the luxury of the vehicle is not as good as a Nissan, Honda, etc... Still great cars, dad has a 06 sonata with 100,000+ miles and hasn't done anything but maint on it.

Brock Kickass

You should be a able to find a pretty clean Mitsubishi Lancer at around $14k. My wife and I have one we bought new, looking at trading it for something bigger so I'm pretty in tune with the value of it used. Ours has 65,000km on it, bumper to bumper warranty is 100,000km and powertrain is 160,000km, 7 years and 10 years respectively. I'm looking to get $15,500CAD for it. It's a nicely featured car with Bluetooth phone, satellite radio, heated seats, heated power mirrors, power doors and windows, cruise, A/C, etc etc...

We have had literally no problems with the car. It is well built, economical, and reliable. The biggest factor that made me consider it over other Japanese 4-cyl cars is that Mitsubishis are actually built in Japan. The build quality is excellent. I really like mine, but with a huge dog and a new baby and a lot of family and friends a few hours away we just need a bigger car. Food for thought.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

it sounds like you want cheap and used but I would recommend spending a little bit of time liking at the new scion FRS amazingly fun great mileage and 200HP for a 4 banger 2 door 4 seater just a well designed vehicle under 25 new
Dude! that's 10 grand more than he wanted to spend!!! :spank:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

mdgreene2001

This. :D Lol But seriously, id say 15k OTD is max, and that price Id want GPS/Navigation screen w/ low miles and a good audio system.

Example:
Cars for Sale: 2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2-Door in Dallas, TX 75240: Hatchback Details - 334708389 - AutoTrader.com

Advert is for 16,900 but could probably talk him down.

Think about maint cost of a vw and the price of parts, and the special tools required to work on them. I'm a tech as a profession and I hate German cars, parts are expensive, special tools are expensive, and they are a pia to fix. Just saying...

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Pinarello Rider

Think about maint cost of a vw and the price of parts, and the special tools required to work on them. I'm a tech as a profession and I hate German cars, parts are expensive, special tools are expensive, and they are a pia to fix. Just saying...
Vw are cheap but not in the way you want. Why waste money on integrated nav?

Brock Kickass

I have a friend who is a VW expert, and he gave me some advice recently when I was looking at a Touareg TDI. Unless you are driving 160km (100mi) most of the times you turn the key and at least 60,000km (almost 40,00mi) per year, the diesel powertrain is a waste of money. They turn amazing mileage and have unreal longevity, but they hate short trips. If it is an "around town" car for you the TDI will die way before it pays off. I was just dying to buy a TDI Touareg and he told me in plain English to save some $$ and buy a V6 because I don't do enough miles daily/annually to get the proper potential out of a turbodiesel. If you're using it right it's worth every penny, but don't waste money on a TDI if you are just going to kill it prematurely without getting the value out of it.

mdgreene2001

I would just stay away from all German and American cars, and only buy American trucks and Japanese cars... That's my opinion from being a professional auto tech for 8 years and being a car guy since I was 14.

Deathdiesel

I have a friend who is a VW expert, and he gave me some advice recently when I was looking at a Touareg TDI. Unless you are driving 160km (100mi) most of the times you turn the key and at least 60,000km (almost 40,00mi) per year, the diesel powertrain is a waste of money. They turn amazing mileage and have unreal longevity, but they hate short trips. If it is an "around town" car for you the TDI will die way before it pays off. I was just dying to buy a TDI Touareg and he told me in plain English to save some $$ and buy a V6 because I don't do enough miles daily/annually to get the proper potential out of a turbodiesel. If you're using it right it's worth every penny, but don't waste money on a TDI if you are just going to kill it prematurely without getting the value out of it.
Hmm true never considered this. I will be driving to and from work every day, which round trip is 60miles. And 2 times a week to school, which is around 80miles or so. So it looks like I may be better off with the Mazda or a Nissan maybe. Having a bit of a hard time finding a good mazda for a fair price atm though. Maybe just a non TDI golf?
Thanks for all the help so far guys. :D:D

Deathdiesel

So guys, Im getting ready in the next month or two to put a sale sign on the car, looking at a Hyundai Veloster, Mazda 3, something fun and sporty to drive yet can actually sip gas rather than chug. Id really prefer 35+mpg on the highway. Ideas? Going to end up buying slightly used/new year cars with like 10-25k miles on them.