Need help with car audio, Subwoofer recommendations

Deathdiesel

Come to a motorcycle forum for car audio talk? Wtf i know i know, but idk much about subs so I need all the help I can get.
Flame on yeah I know. Im looking at a subwoofer for my car, and no I dont want dem killer bass. Just want something to give dubstep and electro some real power or thump. 2000 Ford Mustang Convertible, Stock Mach 460+Kenwood headunit atm.

Im looking at multiple options, one to go under the seat, or an option to put it in the trunk. MY main concern for putting one in the trunk is its a convertible, and im not sure how that will affect the bass in general. I do not have much experience with subs, thats why im here asking. And all my friends around here are like, oh bro get 2 12s in this massive ****ing box; itll sound totally awesome. **** that. I dont need rattling the **** out of my car bass.

Looking to at its highest setting getting some serious slam, but odds are ill have it set to a mild setting for rounding out the sound range.

My current options im looking atm are:

Under the seat
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PT.html?tp=114

In the trunk options, maybe maybe the back seat or in the spot where the convertible top rests when down.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136110WXV2/JL-Audio-CS110-WXv2.html?tp=112

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R1L1X10/Rockford-Fosgate-Prime-R1L-1X10.html?tp=112

and amp for the two above
http://www.amazon.com/R1100M-Monoblock-Amplifier-Subwoofer-Control/product-reviews/B004S4XNEO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Thoughts opinions? I dont want some shitty subs that will just blow out or rip around the flex zones in a year.

RoadTrip

I did a fancy car set up one time; I tried a powered sub, it sucked; so, I went full enclosure in the trunk with a separate Amp, sounded great. I believe it was a single 12inch Punch with dual coil (better than single coil), and a dedicated Alpine Amp. It was really clean and fast.

Since you already have a dialed OEM upgraded set up, you are prolly getting pretty good bass, just not the deep end. So, I think you would have to go the full 12inch single + Amp route to improve your stock sound. You can't simply borrow power from your existing unit, that would weaken the power to the speakers. Also, the trunk is the best location, it acts like a secondary enclosure, low end bass will permeate right through it and it will sound great, and be more secure in that location.

If your head unit won't support the controls for new sub, then a separate control knob should be available, paying someone to install really is the way to go, they will make sure the power from the battery has a separate line run with protection implemented. Unfortunately, you are looking at around $1000 fully installed to make this happen, but it should blow you away when complete. The other option is just to see if Ford has an OEM powered sub option and that would prolly be $500 or so, it will improve your sound, but won't blow you away, but at least you would still have a trunk (the custom set up will pretty much make your trunk useless.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Deathdiesel

so would the amp i listed wouldnt work? I was thinking a 10 over 12 simply because of space saving. How does that add up to 1000$ though? Even a sundown audio 12" sub + enclosure is 240$ or so. Then amp? I dont mind the amp being cheap as long as it works properly.

RoadTrip

Sub = $200
Enclosure = $200
Amp = $400
Install = $200

I am sure you can get it cheaper than a grand, but yeah ran my Alpine in a closed trunk for several years in Texas heat and still never had a problem, whereas I have heard other peeps having overheating issues with cheaper amps. Sounds like you should hit up an audio forum to get better info, but in general you get what you pay for.

Good bass is like half the cost of a good system, just depends on how picky you are about sound. Bass is a lot more than just boom boom, it has speed, extension, and depth. The difference between my inital attempt at a powered sub and the full set up was huge, the powered sub was not even close.

Oh, yeah, and a 10in sub can be tight and fast and can hit pretty hard, but doesn't have the depth and extension of a 12in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9794

Make sure that the Ohms "Ω" of the subwoofers match (or can be re-wired to match) the amplifier. 2Ω impedance is gonna be the most flexible if I remember correctly.

Deathdiesel

Interesting. Would the boss one I linked be too sketchy? Reviews seem to do very well for the price. And honestly at that price you could go through 4 of them for the price of a normal amp.

Even here, sundown audio which has been reviewed as an awesome sub company overall.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/SA-12-D2-Sundown-Series-Subwoofer/dp/B003ZW80TS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: SA-12 D2 - Sundown Audio 12" 600W Dual 2-Ohm SA Series Subwoofer: Car Electronics[/ame] -200$

Ported Box
Sound Ordnance™ Bass Bunker Ported single 12" subwoofer enclosure (Model BB12-200V) at Crutchfield.com -70$ sealed is cheaper by 10$

Amp
same as above, and if need be there are multiple major name brand amps for 200$ or so at about 500-700 amps @ 2ohms. Mono Amplifiers at Crutchfield.com

RoadTrip

I may have over estimated prices a bit, yeah looks like you can get a pretty good set up for well less than $1000 - install still gonna cost ya, though

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

This is what I have:
WoofersEtc.com - ZX7180 - Volfenhag 2 Ch. 1600 Watt Amplifier

and these (but they don't make them anymore):
Coustic Europe - BP12x2A

...both 4ohms, box takes 800W RMS, amp pushes 880W RMS when output channels are bridged.

At the time, the subwoofers were $200 and the amp was $180. If you don't want as much thump I'd still recommend that amp, it takes up a bunch of space but it gets the job done. You can always turn down the gain so you don't overload whatever subs you go with, for $130 it's a good deal.

So total:

$130 - amp
$200 - subs
$100~$150 - install plus wiring kit and low pass filter (if you know somebody that can install for you OR if you're electrically/mechanically inclined, use how-to vids from YouTube....it's actually not too hard)

$430~$480 total (if you want subs that big)

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
+1 on the kicker sub. Best value for money in my opinion, I had a12 inch in a small hatchback and that thing was awesome.. amazing bass but clear too, loved it!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

EsrTek

I haven't seen anyone say it, but sub magnet size is more important to know.. then you can figure out what AMP you need.
A 12" sub w a 40oz magnet is way different than a 12" w 200oz mag, they produce different bass tones and need different power.

For under seat(s) I would go w/ 8" or 10's...a set under seat and one mounted into back of the seat (facing windshield). This will give you a nice punchy bass, you can feel.
The deeper bass of 12"s in a trunk unless you DynoMat the trunk will just cause crap like your plates to vibrate and sound like crap from outside. Might try a isoberic 10" in the trunk would be about right for size of a mustang, plus when top down it will change trunk dynamics of a open air box.

As for brands.. I was sponsored to do competitions by Cadence back in the 90's.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

I've got 2 600 watt 12" JL Audio W3's in the trunk of my car(damn box takes up 3/4 of my trunk). Then my fiance has a 12" Pioneer in his Jeep. My JL's are really loud when I have them turned up to the point of blowing fuses. So I think the JL's would be a bit too much for what you're wanting to do. If you wanna piss your neighbors off(like I like to do), then I would recommend JL's.