Buddy dropped my bike over the weekend

So, I knew it would happen sooner or later. Just didn't think my buddy would be the one to lay my 6'er down. 1st off he's completely ok, besides a bruised ego. He finally took my bike for a spin while I was teaching my GF to change the oil and front stabilizer on the Wrangler. When I heard him panting, I asked how it went and he told me he dropped it. I told him its not a big deal, as long as it didn't deter him from riding. He was practicing his turns and when he was coming out of a U-turn, hit the accelerator and got a wobble. Luckily, he really didn't do any damage other than a scuffed right fairing. He said he layed it down on dirt rather than the street which is great. I'll post pictures later, the bike was due for a 14/16k service anyways. He at least wants to buy me a set of frame sliders to make up for it.

So, what's your take on lending your bike to (Good) friends? Do you still lend them, or are you all "hell no, not my baby!". My buddy was practicing because he's interested in the Honda 500.

Last edited:

Cerebus

I've let a couple people take mine for a spin, but they were all more experienced than myself. I wouldn't let anyone ride it who doesn't have their motorcycle endorsement.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member
I've let a couple people take mine for a spin, but they were all more experienced than myself. I wouldn't let anyone ride it who doesn't have their motorcycle endorsement.
He is fully endorsed, in fact, he waited to renew his class A license so he can get the M1 endorsement added. I'm also not worried since he's a Substation Electrician who makes twice the amount I make.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

I decide on a case by case basis, but the answer is usually no. I let my Grandfather who has been riding 50+ years try my 6R. I also let a buddy try it because he was interested in buying it, but he wrote me a cheque for the bike before he got on it in case he wadded it up. I have not let anyone try my FZ1. The mechanic didn't even ride it before delivery; I did it for him.

I decide on a case by case basis, but the answer is usually no. I let my Grandfather who has been riding 50+ years try my 6R. I also let a buddy try it because he was interested in buying it, but he wrote me a cheque for the bike before he got on it in case he wadded it up. I have not let anyone try my FZ1. The mechanic didn't even ride it before delivery; I did it for him.
After checking the extent of the damage, I would say the FZ6R sticker on the fairing only needs to be replaced. However, there is a small (nickel sized) bump on the fairing where I assume a solid part on the bike pushed out but not through the fairing. No need to be upset about it, I consider it a warriors scar. He was more than happy to replace the entire fairing if need be.

Brock Kickass

After checking the extent of the damage, I would say the FZ6R sticker on the fairing only needs to be replaced. However, there is a small (nickel sized) bump on the fairing where I assume a solid part on the bike pushed out but not through the fairing. No need to be upset about it, I consider it a warriors scar. He was more than happy to replace the entire fairing if need be.

Friendship certainly is more important than a motorcycle. Your friend sounds like a stand up guy, which is awesome. I think I would be ok with someone like that riding my bike (if I knew they had ability; learning to ride and trying a different bike are 2 different things. My bike isn't a beginner bike)
I'm really fussy about lending my bike because I know I would be as mad at myself as anyone else if I dropped my own bike; it can be fixed but I would always know it had been dropped. That would bother me, no matter if it was me who dropped it or anyone else. Some people aren't as fussy about their bikes, but hey, some guys are ok with their wives screwing other guys too. It's all in what is acceptable to you. It may be an impossible dream but I really want to keep my bike as close to perfect as I can manage. I avoid letting friends ride my bike because I want to avoid being that mad at a friend.

latony007

I swap with my brother and nephew all the time, its fun to ride different bikes. I let my neighbor ride it when his POS Harley broke down, I have two bikes so I let him ride my cruiser and then switched with him halfway, I thought if he rode the 6R we might steal one from the Harley crowd, but they are too dense :)

abyss1406

i dont think ive let anyone ride my bike, mainly because of inexperience. but I would for the right person.

danieljardim

Several people rode my bike already, experienced riders and my level riders. Wouldn't teach anybody on my bike due to the fact that is not the right bike to learn.

I would be upset if somebody dropped my bike, but at the end of the day, as long as everybody is fine, bikes can always be replaced. People not.

Murals

Duckman! Bummer about the 6er meeting pavement. I'm very hesitant who I let ride my bike I have to know they know what their doing at least. But either way you can never predict what will happen!

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

stuna

NOW THE 6R IS ONE THING . BUT MY NEW FZ09 ANIMAL :zombie: THAT'S A DIFF STORY .OR THE STAGE III RD400 . THE PIPES WERE A GRAND ALONE :rolleyes:

dnielson45

Elite Member

Grumpy

I let a couple of people who I have ridden with ride my CBR. These folks weren't strangers but people I knew and trusted there maturity and riding skill.

One time, I was in work and some lady comes out of the restaurant i work at and let her kid sit on my bike... My coworker told me immediately and i went out there to tell her to get off my bike. Sadly, as soon as she saw me walking out the door, she ran for her car and locked herself in before i could give her a piece of my mind... That same night, i bought a motion sensitive disc lock. That and haven't seen her around anymore.

My belief is don't even let people sit on your bike unless they are good and know what they are doing.