Your favorite location to tap switched power

FJRGuy

OK, I've done some searches and have come up empty so far...

I'm looking to see what others have done for tapping switched power as a signal for a fuse block or isolation relay. As I don't have the need for several circuits, I've picked up a 2 circuit fuse block complete with main relay. I dont have wiring diagrams for this bike (anyone know where I can find some?) so I figured I'd just come to you guys for help. While I'm not adverse to just tapping a taillight wire (positaps are awesome) I much prefer to find a suitable connector, spend a couple dollars and build a plug-n-play sub-harness. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. So... What have you done?

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Taillight. That way it is only ON if the bike has the key in and switched. I am pretty forgetful ;). Dont want to end up with a drained battery far from home.. or anywhere for that matter. Think I used those not cut splices as well. Just easier that way.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

FJRGuy

Thanks guys! All very typical tap sources as I expected. I was curious if the bike had any 'special' sources that might be popular. My bike, for example, has several great locations that don't require a tap into a main harness wire like the Aux power socket, glove box solenoid and windshield auto-retract circuit. Although, for a signal voltage to a relay, the current draw is so small that it, and using a [properly installed] Posi-Tap, will not effect the integrity of the wire and circuit, so brake or plate light is an either or.

I guess the real question, other than the blue wire by the flush mounts, is where did you physically install the tap? Can you enlighten me on the wire colors and what location you accessed them?

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

FJRGuy

And on the side discussion, I always leave my keys in the bikes in the garage. Most often when touring, I leave my keys in the bike at fuel/meal/rest stops as well. It's a bit of a PITA to remove it from under all the dash farkles. This has lead me to look into proximity sensors and the like to prevent unauthorized starting of the bike (the pranksters at rallies are more of a concern than bike thieves.) As a result of this investigation, I'm looking at building a BlueTooth device that will allow me to power up the bike with a button when my Cell Phone is (i.e. - I am) within range. The circuit would run parallel to the key circuit so it could still be used by other riders, service people and as a fail safe backup.

FJRGuy

I have wiring diagrams but they are in no way easy to track down physicaly
Any chance you could share a snippit (or photo) of the drawing that shows the wires to the taillight assembly? Once I have the wire colour legend and an idea of the connector(s) i'm looking for, I'm pretty good to trace them down.

FJRGuy

Seems a bit late, but I always tap off of the rear brake light switch. The wire is under the tank, so it is in a good central location.
Never too late! ;)
I'm tearing apart the tail of the bike now so I can see whats going on back there. Shoulda done that while installing the Givi Side Bag Rack, but that was done in a rush at the side of the road where I picked up the bags.

FJRGuy

Well ain't that pretty! A couple bolts and 3 plastic rivets and all is shown under the Right Rear panel. And the licence plate light is connected with bullet connectors! Mega easy plug-n-play, no wire tap, signal voltage source!
I'll post photos up soon!

So... IMHO, the best location to tap switched power on the FZ6R is the Licence Plate Light bullet connector under the Right Rear Panel.

To access the connector (as well as the taillight and signal light connectors):
1. Remove Rear Seat
2. Remove the Grab Rail (4 bolts. You can get away with just removing the right 2 bolts and flexing the grab rail out of the way when removing the panel.)
3. Remove the Right Rear Side Panel (3 plastic rivets)
4. Roll the rain boot forward out of the way (or pop out the wire clip and slide the rain boot forward.)
5. You now have full access to the tail lighting connectors:
A 3 Position 090 HM Connector (Wires: Yellow = Brake Light, Blue = Tail Light, Black = Ground)
A Black Nippon -Tanshi’s 3P Turn Signal Connector (Wires: Brown = Left Signal Light, Black = Ground)
A Grey Nippon -Tanshi’s 3P Turn Signal Connector (Wires: Green= Right Signal Light, Black = Ground)
2 Bullet connectors, 1 with Blue wire in and black wire out (positive), the other with Black Ground wires.
6. Disconnect Bullet Connector with Blue wire.
7. Connect split lead (photo coming) between male and female bullets.
8. Route the switched power wire to the location/device required.
9. Replace Rain Boot, Side Panel and Grab Rail and all fasteners.

:D

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member