thinking about upgrading.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

latony007

Probably an R6? I spent some seat time on an R6 and a 636. Even between those 2 bikes the 636 is way more comfortable, but the CBR and GSXR are supposed to be even better. And I will say when you think about starting to lean, the SS are already halfway there. I want a little more of that in the FZ6R but I here tires are the key. Anyway, back on topic....

We all want more speed, I think that is always true. I've found myself lusting over SS bikes too, but what else do you need from the bike? Clearly comfort. FZ8, FZ9, FZ1, Ninja 1000, Street Triple, Speed Triple all come to mind very quickly. The new upright half-faired GSXF 750 and 1000 are going to be amazing. Only slightly detuned with more comfy seat, pegs, suspension, and bars. Those things are going to be CRAZY and I want one already! But will the GSXF 1000 be better than the S1000r?
Ok first off i didnt even say which i bike i rode, what an IDIOT, sorry about that. It was the R6. If i want more speed, which im not going to argue is nice to have, its fz1 or ninja 1k. However i have heard nothing about this upright GSX you speak of? That sounds pretty cool, GSXR are great bikes no doubt about it if you can handle the ergos. I have always wondered why Suzuki had no upright bikes, well they brought the gladius back but its naked. Any links?

ch33zecake

Well i test rode my first super sport the other day and all my issues were confirmed and even one added. First The bike was great fun, very fast, and seemed like it just wanted to lean a lot more than our bike. Im not sure if its more easy to go from side to side than ours but definitely felt like it wanted to lean farther. The red line is 16.5 so you can rev the crap out of it, the one thing i noticed is that at 16.5 redline the gauge stopped at like 18. After that i guess it just explodes? :)

Now for the bad. Its so uncomfortable for me it was ridiculous. On a 30 minute test ride i was actually anxious for it to be over after 20 which is unheard of for me. The riding position is just horid, laying on the tank hurts my back but doesnt get rid of butt pains and what was worse was that my neck was hurting because in your natural position your going to be staring at the gauges so you have to crane your neck up all the time to see the road. I was not expecting that part. Maybe thats just for us short people but i dont think so. I see why they are great track bikes and not so good for regular riding. IMO.

I also saw actually in stock the new FJ09 which is a nice looking bike but taller and bulkier than i was anticipating. i think im keeping my FZ6R for a while and still trying to trade up my cruiser to a spyder.

Im Stupid I DID NOT MENTION THE BIKE It was the 2014 R6
That's funny because I test rode the R6 last month too and thought the same thing. It was my very first SS bike I've ever ridden too. Originally I wanted to upgrade to an R6 because of the killer looks until the day I actually rode one. I have a short inseam and can barely touch the ground with both my toes. The only bikes that give me seat height issues are the R6 and Daytona 675. All the other SS bikes I'm able to somewhat place both my feet on the ground. But yeah the R6 felt so extreme at first especially the first 10 minutes. I remember I had to make this slow u-turn and almost lost my balance. It's just so different. It wasn't really my back that was killing me from the extreme posture. It was mostly my neck and my wrists. Like you said, it was like I had to look forward the whole time and just felt it on my neck. I fixed the wrists problem by having to focus on squeezing my legs against the tank pad more.

So yeah that being said, if I ever get a SS bike in the future (in which I will) then it definitely will not be an R6. Even the 2015 R1 felt very extreme compared to the other SS bikes. Both my toes could barely touch the ground on both those bikes. I like how the GSXR feels for an SS bike. It still felt like a SS but didn't feel like I was sitting on top of the bike. The CBR felt the same way. The ZX6R/10R felt in-between. I could plant both my feet on the ground on them but didn't feel as comfy as the GSXR or CBR.

Last edited:

pkoko

Honestly, you can't beat the GSXR 750 as an upgrade. It has the lightness and maneuverability of a 600 SS but with 20+ ftlbs of torque. It is also very comfortable for SS. And there are tons of aftermarket parts to make ride more comfortable. You can get bar risers etc.

VRIIClubby

I finally said good bye to my FZ last month :(, after a long time tossing up between bikes and lots of test rides it came down to two bikes;

The Ninja was a surprise and due to the type of riding I do it nearly got across the line, but passion always wins :D:D:D and I became a Suzuki fan boy. The GSXS-1000F is pretty much the bigger cousin of the FZ6R IMHO, its got the detuned supersport/superbike bike motor in it, upright position with bars, mid ship exhaust etc etc, the choice was always going to be the GSXS in hindsight!!!

wow is all i can say, the torque and speed that is available with just the slightest twist of the wrist is mind bending! More than 100km/h in first and then just pulls like a train! and I still haven't taken it over 5k revs.

have modded it so far with a Ventura rack system, led indicators (pilfered from the FZ0 heated grips, 12V supply up front and out back, full t-rex sliders kit.
Will be getting a bigger screen, PCV, short shifter and tail tidy soon enough, im in two minds about upgrading the exhaust as it is pretty bloody loud stock and sounds very sweet.
I was also getting the shits with the attention the old TBR was getting me on my work commutes, was good fun when you were flogging it and sounded nice but sneaking out of the house at 2am was impossible! lol.

couldn't help but match the bike to a new helmet

Last edited: