Strobes and Power Crystal

vkamnev

So I have an idea to put white strobes into power crystal and use dummy button for on/off. All for visibility purposes only :D

By regulations it's prohibited. Well, of course...

Wonder, how would cops react on that? Will it be too bad?

They will react by giving you a ticket if its prohibited.....:confused:

They will react by giving you a ticket if its prohibited.....:confused:

well, they don't usually give ticket for fender eliminator and such... so I wonder how bad this offence is in eyes of cops. I once got ticket for tinted front windows (lightest tint, only to reduce UV, very transparent even at night). But that police officer was clearly in a bad mood. I didn't remove it, just paid a ticket. No more fines since then. So, if they'd see that will they pull me over or just let it go.

curious, if flashing headlights are not illegal on motorcycles (safety add on) would this be considered illegal? i can see telling the officer its for safety reasons. heck i may do this honestly.

What has flashing lights? Emergency Vehicles and tow trucks ... Asking for a ticket point blank. I wish this was allowed but all its going to do is cost you money.

curious, if flashing headlights are not illegal on motorcycles (safety add on) would this be considered illegal? i can see telling the officer its for safety reasons. heck i may do this honestly.

what you are referring to is a headlight modulator. It never goes completely out. Brightness intensity changes usually from 100% to 40%. Legal in all 50 states. On/off flashing and wig-wag flashing is reserved for law enforcement and emergency vehicles only.

Don't know about AB, but in ON it's illegal to display a red or blue light on the front of any vehicle. It is also illegal to display a red or blue flashing light anywhere on a vehicle. I'm pretty sure any sort of headlight modulation is also illegal. These are all reserved for EMS/Law Enforcement/Fire.
Things like a fender eliminator aren't technically illegal in ON. Although Transport Canada requires a fender for a bike to be sold as new in Canada, there is nothing in the Ontario HTA regarding fenders on a bike. The only regulation pertains to visibility of the plate. There is no Transport Canada compliance reg in the HTA.
Where police often overlook minor transgressions with regards to equipment, illegal flashers and such are usually a big no-no. They consider it impersonation, and tend to take a very dim view of it.
If you do install a strobe, I would very carefully read the AB HTA, specifically regarding lighting and prohibited flashers.

Last edited:
Don't know about AB, but in ON it's illegal to display a red or blue light on the front of any vehicle. It is also illegal to display a red or blue flashing light anywhere on a vehicle. I'm pretty sure any sort of headlight modulation is also illegal. These are all reserved for EMS/Law Enforcement/Fire.
Things like a fender eliminator aren't technically illegal in ON. Although Transport Canada requires a fender for a bike to be sold as new in Canada, there is nothing in the Ontario HTA regarding fenders on a bike. The only regulation pertains to visibility of the plate. There is no Transport Canada compliance reg in the HTA.
Where police often overlook minor transgressions with regards to equipment, illegal flashers and such are usually a big no-no. They consider it impersonation, and tend to take a very dim view of it.
If you do install a strobe, I would very carefully read the AB HTA, specifically regarding lighting and prohibited flashers.

Yup, I've read it, anything but amber and only for special temporary purposes is illegal. That's quite clear. I am more curious how cops react on that, another example is warning flashes of aftermarket stop-light, which blinks three times and is okay. I won't put red or blue strobes, I was thinking about plain white and mostly for passing-like situations, to add some visibility.

I ordered an LED taillight for my bike with the flash function optional. I am lucky enough to know a few police officers who are happy to answer questions honestly, so I asked one about the taillight. After I explained the function, he told me to leave the flash portion unwired. He told me that, as a motorcyclist, he would have little to no issue with it, but most of the guys he works with would ticket a bike with that immediately. He said he would probably go so far as to pull me over and give me a friendly warning, one motorcyclist to another, that a red flashing light on a civillian vehicle is not cool.

Funny that response. In general the light is made to flash a set number of times (three times seems to be the mean). I ride in heavy traffic and automatically tape my brakes three times to warn the guy behind me that that I am here and braking. How would the office know if I was using my foot (perfectly legal everywhere) or a mechanical/electrical flash.

The police officer would have to be a real douche to ticket someone for three quick flashes. It is about not being hit by a texting, distracted, tired, and otherwise impaired cage driver that has forgotten you're there. I'd risk the ticket.

Of the half dozen folks I know that have had these aftermarket items on their bikes none have ever been stopped or ticketed for using them. But then we are in western Maryland and folks still carry rifles in their trucks.

When I commute it sometimes is to the Baltimore beltway or the D.C. mess. I want to be seen as much as possible.

But it is horses for courses and jurisdiction by jurisdiction and intelligent officer versus douche bag your mileage may vary.

Unfortunately, it seems like there is less room for common sense in the law. As society becomes more litigious, police officers are less inclined to use discretion, because going by the book is the most sure-fire way to ensure a previous interaction will not come back on you.
I also have the habit of tapping my rear brake lightly a couple times before I apply my brakes if I can to make myself more visible. Same effect as the feature I don't use on my taillight, and perfectly legal. Problem solved.

headlight modulation is ok in Canada now.
Motorcycle headlamp modulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unscientific survey of law enforcement officers, Western MD. Note I work for the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (Regional Chief of Service - Western Region) and talk to the uniform officers of the three western counties and several of the cities on a regular basis (if nothing else over coffee in the early AM at the 7-11).

in the past week I have spoken to 9 different, uniform, law enforcement officers (only two are good friends, the rest are pretty much strangers).

Three Maryland State Trooper said that they would not even notice an automatic triple flash of brakes. The only way they would notice the flash is if it was a continuous flashing red light and clearly a flashing device (continous red flashing a general no-no but the emergency blinkers on trucks going up hill or cars warning of an emergency are allowed). If the bike was pulled over for another infraction (say speeding) that they would not add to the ticket. Opinion of the three. No law is broken and the public is not in danger.

Two Cumberland City police (partners) both said the same thing and looked at me as if I had grown a second head. One actually laughed and asked if I was really worried about an intermittent flashing brake light. Opinion WTF!!

Two Hagerstown City police (one admitted to riding and having fender eliminator and integrated rear light). Not an offense and not citable (one thought hard (the non biker) and said "if is is intermittent and not flashing continually like an emergency blinker then what's the problem?"

One Washington County Sheriff Deputy (trafic) saw no problem and wondered if I was putting her on.

One Alleghany County Sheriff Deputy (bike rider) had the integrated lights and didn't know for sure (none of them actually did) what the law said but stated that it would be something unnoticed and uncited.

In general the intermittent flashing of the brake light is OK, the continuous flashing of the brake light in clearly an emergency situation is OK, but the driving with the brake light flashing continuously would be considered annoying and maybe faulty equipment and IF the driver was being pulled over for something else or appeared to be endangering others MIGHT be cited.

Had dinner last night with the local traffic Judge (a former bike rider but too dignified now I guess - close friend). In 25 years on the bench hearing traffic cases he can't remember a case of this nature.

So locally (three western counties in Maryland) is is a non issue. I suspect that it is more an issue in our heads than in law enforcement. But remember I could be wrong and opinions are like ear lobes - everyone has at least two.

I'd say don't worry about it. Worry more about failing the new sound abatement laws given the officers are being trained to use the DB meters. But that's a discussion for another day.

Certainly different from place to place, and even officer to officer. The Ontario Provincial Police tend to run a pretty tight ship when it comes to highways.

Yeah mileage does vary. I notice that most of the younger police officer's around here (local, county, and state) don't worry about fender eliminators, HID lamps, integrated taillights but really get bent with unsafe driving and super high speeds. You know things that might kill someone else. They tend not to cut speed demons any slack at all (I was clocked at 105 in my car and got a warning - that wouldn't have happened if I was on my bike. Damn Vis-calc).

Toward the city the focus is on erratic, unsafe driving and excess speed. Here in the rural areas noise gets the attention (along with erratic, unsafe driving and excess speed). The noise abatement push is going to effect us much more than integrated tail lights that flash three times when applying the brakes. The police are being issued decibel measuring devices.

Back