riding Skills: Using the Rear Brake (Sport Rider)

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

jocampo

From the MSF course, I always use both brakes on straight line and panic situations. I even locked rear tire twice on an "almost accident" but the training I had made me keep pressing the rear brake avoiding a fall.

On tight curves if I'm too fast, I apply rear brake instead of front (before the curve) As a matter of fact, I think that front brakes should never be applied on a curve; it's better put the bike on straight line and beak hard. Alll this come to physics and weight transfer

Fulkon

I'll have to practice with using my rear brake more. I just get nervous about losing too much traction.

Chevyfazer

I'll have to practice with using my rear brake more. I just get nervous about losing too much traction.
I think the best way to cure that nervousness is to find a parking lot and start slow, like maybe 10mph and lock up the rear to learn how your bike reacts to it. Keep working your way up and also see how much pressure it takes to lock it up. I've never really had that fear I guess mainly from riding dirt and locking it up on purpose sliding it around. It's just as fun to me to do on the street bike too, as long as no one is behind you and gets freaked out.

ksanbon

Practice!

I was on the "too much rear brake" side of the discussion because I was intimidated by the high rate of deceleration provided by the front brake. Being a slow learner, I had to slide past a couple of stop signs before I decided that it would be wise to change.
It didn't take long to find the right balance. During rides, I'd pick targets to stop at and gradually increase my use of the front brake until I was comfortable with quick stops. I still do it evey so often to just to keep the feel. I figure it's like Kevin Durant practicing jump shots all year long, except to me it's a matter of life or death.

Much better to do it now than to trying to get it right in a panic situation.

Ride safe.

raven6r

Well 9 times out of 10 I only use the front brake. All things being equal if you are only going to use 1 the front is the way to go. That being said we will all eventually have a situation which requires a sudden stop so its better to be prepared then sorry. Any skill needs to be practiced and nothing is more true then that of riding a motorcycle. Most cagers don't think twice about the guy riding next to them, or behind them and the only defense we have is a good offense.

Crocop43

i remember when i took the MSRC sportbike rider course they teach some techniques using the rear brake but specifically trail braking.... If you get the chance and want to learn a little more technique thats proper i definetly suggest trying to get enrolled in one of these courses

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

pfcreed

I got into an accident before I took the safety course a few years ago, basicly I hit my front brakes hard then engaged my rear brake equally as hard. I started to fishtail and got scarred so I released everything to come out of the fish tail. I was still coming in to fast so i did the same thing again, this time I fishtailed even more but I had gotten so close to the stopped vehicle I figured it was all or nothing at this point so I just stayed with the bike until I collided. If I remember correctly which I might not because were talking really close to the moment of impact, the bike endoed and I splattered the back of a vibe like an insect. After that I took the safety course took a month or so off to get over my fear and got back at it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Michael Wilson

I had a riding teacher at the track that would take your front brake lever off if he noticed you never use the rear brake. Just like the article said, find your balance!

redprodigy35

From what I gather -- this is a pretty advanced combo of skill.

To enter a corner hot, lean the bike over, scrub off speed with the rear brake while still maintaining or re-assessing your line... Takes quite a bit of skill. It can get real shady, real quick if you don't have a good solid relationship with your rear brake.

We can all engage the rear, but to use it to this effect requires finesse. Thankfully I think that our rear brake (like the rest of the bike) is pretty forgiving.

Enjarin

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

felix77

I've always used the rear brake, just enough not to lock it up. On wet I've used it a lot more, guess it was just the way my grandfather taught me on dirt bikes.

I didn't know you could use it to get a tighter turn. There is one nasty turn that caught me by surprise both time I took the Ortega Highway. Going west, it starts out moderate, then tightens up really fast. I had to really lean, got really close to oncoming traffic.

So according to this article, keeping steady on the gas, applying a little bit of rear brake will really let you lean in to the curve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member