riding Skills: Using the Rear Brake (Sport Rider)

txjames

Elite Member

txjames

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member
Last edited:

txjames

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

txjames

Elite Member
Last edited:

BoneJj

Well buzz we're going to cross disagree here. Rear then front is not advised by any expert, MSF, riding school, or elsewhere. You're just wasting time getting to the front brake which is where all the stopping power is. When you slow down, the weight shifts forward. Where the weight goes is where the stopping power is. Don't grab, start with a little front brake to load the front and then you can brake up to the locking point. Practice tells you where that is.

There is a reason why is MSF they tell you that if you lock the rear, to keep it locked. That is to avoid a high side.
That statement is quite wrong indeed. I can name at least 5 MSF course instructors that recommend it and I have to agree with them. I think you need to consider some of the dynamics and physics involved in the process. It's been proven multiple times and I believe you can even find the videos on youtube world there that show the results.

Not saying I trust youtube content but I've also seen the affects personally from friends that ride pro. You have 2 brakes for a reason and they are meant to be used together. Although you may not be using the same amount of pressure on each they both benefit you greatly.

Chucker

You guys should keep this going. Sooner or later someone's opinion is going to win.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Chevyfazer

I was talking with someone on here about this same stuff, and basically what it boils down too is Keith Code is a "It's my way or the highway" type person thinking that his way is the only way around the track (albeit fast but not the fastest) the fastest riders in motogp use the rear brake ALOT in setting their turns up "backing it in". Are any of us here gp riders... No, even though we might think we are at times but everyone will find what works for them. I my self use the hell out of my rear brake, it helps the front end not dive as much when you come flying up to a corner. But what works for me might not work for the next guy, but that doesn't mean that no one should use the rear brake just because Keith code said so.

Find what works for YOU!

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Detrich

Keith codes videos are so incredibly boring. I watched 30 min and fell asleep. All blabbing and no teaching. Lame

FastFreddy

I like to lightly drag the rear brake if the corner drops away, tightens up or if I go into a corner to hot. Sometimes I drag the front brakes to tighten up a line as well.

Sometimes I drag both brakes if I need to settle.

If I use front brake only, it feels like the bike really tips over forwards too much. It feels horrible too me and makes turn in slower.

You feel the rear of the bike want to squat a bit when you drag the rear brake whilst also using the front brakes hard.