riding Skills: Using the Rear Brake (Sport Rider)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Roaddawg

Good article.

"In a basic stopping situation on the street, you want to use mostly the front brake with some rear. Using the rear brake, even slightly, will help to lower the center of gravity, adding stability to the situation and letting you brake harder in a panic stop."

This is what I do.

streetmaster

Must admit, I'm one that rarely uses the rear brake.
After reading this, I must review this riding style of mine!!
There are quite a few good tips in the series (of riding tips)

Halon

i mostly use the rear brake. When I use the front brake by itself it feels weak like it isn't doing anything at all hardly, it isn't until I get some good rear brake in there that I can really feel the bike squat down and come to a stop. Although in most situations I just use the rear brake, and on the freeway I just use less/close the throttle up and let the engine compression slow me down as needed. I learned a few things I've been testing out from the article though, good read for a novice. :)

Roaddawg

i mostly use the rear brake. When I use the front brake by itself it feels weak like it isn't doing anything at all hardly, it isn't until I get some good rear brake in there that I can really feel the bike squat down and come to a stop. Although in most situations I just use the rear brake, and on the freeway I just use less/close the throttle up and let the engine compression slow me down as needed. I learned a few things I've been testing out from the article though, good read for a novice. :)
Is your front brake cable connected? How do you not feel anything with the front brake?

joloy133

If you can't feel your front brake something is wrong and you've been compensating. Get to a parking lot and do some stops with front brake only, then rear brake, from about 25 mph. They don't have to be lock ups but firm stops. Our bikes are heavy and the quickest stops are from the front brakes w/o question, its physics. Maybe you just need to adjust the handlebar lever for the front brake. Push it away from the bar, dial a number, lower and check grip feel.

ME_with_a_B

I use my rear brake all the time... that article almost makes me feel like I'm over using it. I just really like that the bike squats when I do - and I feel like I have better control.

joloy133

I use my rear brake all the time... that article almost makes me feel like I'm over using it. I just really like that the bike squats when I do - and I feel like I have better control.
A lot of motocross riders who slide well feel that way. The road has its differences though and front brakes give the best stops (like stoppies!!), so you have to learn/feel that lever. Our bikes front brakes have good feel, some riders have even put on grippier pads.

ME_with_a_B

Oh don't get me wrong, I use my front brake plenty... it's very strong - especially as the weight transfers from the rear of the bike to the front as the stop progresses.

I guess I'm just extra paranoid about accidentally lifting my rear tire by over-braking with the front wheel :don'tknow:

Halon

Is your front brake cable connected? How do you not feel anything with the front brake?
I shouldn't say I don't feel anything, but the difference in braking with the fronts only and the front + the rear is extremely noticeable for me. The bike stops alot more easily with both brakes is what I meant, I suppose.

Roaddawg

I shouldn't say I don't feel anything, but the difference in braking with the fronts only and the front + the rear is extremely noticeable for me. The bike stops alot more easily with both brakes is what I meant, I suppose.
Gotcha. Together is definitely better than using only one alone, for sure. Now everyone think about this....Have you ever wondered why there is two discs/brakes on the front and only one on the back? 80% front/20% rear...that's how I roll! (and stop rolling) :)

Brock Kickass

I use my rear brake all the time. If I didn't need it, why would it be on the bike? I find that even just touching the rear while using the front for most of the work gives me added confidence, and we all know how important it is to feel confidfent and relaxed. On aq sidebar, thank you for posting all of these articles. I have been reading them with keen interest and applying them in my riding, and my confidence and ability have increased noticably. I hope I never become too cocky to learn.

columbus2382

i use both brakes same time i try to be even as i can with them

Spunky99

I always hit the rear brake first. If there is anything squirrely going on, it straightens it out real fast. Dipping into a corner and you decide you might have gone in with a little too much speed, hit the rear brake before doing anything else. Don't chop throttle and don't touch the front brakes.

When coming to a hard stop, hit the rear brake lightly first and then the front brake hard. I use the rear brake to straighten out the bike before I hit the front clampers hard. It is useful in turns while leaving the throttle alone, it is useful as a noise maker when cagers pull out from a parking spot....the eeeeeeerrrrrrrrrtttttt...before you hit the front brake is fun.

porky45

I hope I never become too cocky to learn.
Too cocky to learn is one thing - Too cocky to ride within your limits... that's how you go down.

Detrich

i'm in the habbit of using the rear and fronts together as well... this was something they drilled into us at MSF. the article is a good refresher tho- esp the bit about how applying the front without applying the back can possibly lead to loss of control during over aggressive cornering... i also almost forgot about the rear brake lock too- since that hardly ever happens to us on relatively new bikes. :p

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member