Removing passenger footpegs..

oldtouring b

I decided after receiving Marthy's saddlebag rack, it would be a good idea to remove the footpegs. I never have a passenger and it makes installing and removing the rack a very easy proposition. So off they came. After a few days with that small empty bracket staring at me, I started to formulate a plan B.

Well good old pine wood was the way to go. My neighbor Tony is a wizard at home projects. If fact he built has own home!! Well with Tony doing the hard work and me assisting(watching) the 2 inserts were created.

I know that many of you will find this unnecessary because you will never remove the pegs. But it shows that if you are not happy with the appearance, just a little planning and work with the right tools will solve the problem.

pic #4 is of the RKA tail trunk-- one of my favorite items. Later

Attachments

Last edited:

iSpoolin

No offense, but that looks bad IMO. I'd get some aluminum block and machine it down. Wood should not be on a bike!

raybob

No offense, but that looks bad IMO. I'd get some aluminum block and machine it down. Wood should not be on a bike!
Agree with this, but I have used pressure treated wood on a bike before as a base plate for a fuel cell mounted on a givi rack. But, the wood plate and fuel cell were only needed for one little trip to Alaska and back.

Just to cloud the issue, I use my rear pegs all the time just as another place to put my feet when I'm droning on the interstate.

Bob

Kdubb223

What weighs more: small block of wood or small block of aluminum? Clearly this was done for weight savings. I prefer adamantium over wood or aluminum, lasts longer.

JSP

Super Moderator
Aluminum could actually weigh less or the same as the block of wood. You can get very light aluminum. Very easy to work with as well.

Roaddawg

I disagree....anytime I go on a spirited ride in the twisties, I get wood!! :eek:

--Thanks, I'll be here all night :iconbeer:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
The thing with wood is will soak up water and moisture. You should get yourself a Chia pet and spread the seeds on it... LOL

Good point. It can trap moisture between the wood and the metal causing eventual rust possibly...

oldtouring b

I defer to the forum

I think my wooden inserts will be the prototype for the aluminum final product. So here is the question--Who would like to make a set for me??I can send you the wooden pieces as a mold or?? I don't have a problem paying for your time as long as you are fair with your fees.:)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

cavcuz05

IM debating on cutting my wings off and powdercoating thing or polishing them seeing as i dont ride with my wife anymore...i have my rizoma peg on order for the front cant wait it get them in

Y

yellowfz

Is this a new H-D. They're still using this type of fork...
Maybe Harley is going back to it's roots .
Or maybe branching off in a new direction .
Going to be the trunk of their new line of bikes .
Harley is headed in a new direction after barking up the wrong tree for years .
Sorry couldn't resist . :iconbeer:

CrazyCawi

Maybe Harley is going back to it's roots .
Or maybe branching off in a new direction .
Going to be the trunk of their new line of bikes .
Harley is headed in a new direction after barking up the wrong tree for years .
Sorry couldn't resist . :iconbeer:
they felt leafed out :rof: