Potential Riders MUST READ!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lonesoldier84

started on the fz6. was a bit too big to start on tbh. got a great price and when i saw it in person for the first time i got "excited" and jumped all over it.

took it wasy in the early going, and learned a lot....but a lot of what i learned i learned after going through VERY risky situations and could have seriously injured myself.

to learn you need to push urself a little. to push urself on a bike like the fz6 is to be doing 120 kph in a corner.

Could have learned the same lessons at lower speeds on a weaker bike. I REALLY wanted a kawi 650R and would have jumped on it but didnt find one for a price i could afford.

when i saw the fz6 i jumped on it. when i got home after paying the guy and he dropped it off....i researched and found out it had an R6 engine....kind of had a lump in my throat that day like oh no what have i done?!?! haha

in the end it worked out and im alive (fortunately) but i had quite a few close calls in the opening 5,000km. now the fz6 fits like a glove, but it didnt always....

P

pwcwheels

I started on a 78 GL1000 of all things! Because it was free. I've had five bikes since, and now a FZ6. I bought it because it's practical and it fits all my needs. I sold bikes for seven years and have seen and heard it all in terms of excuses for which bike to buy. I'm 6'3" and weigh 222lbs and people used to ask me "isn't that bike too small for you?" I always have had a strong sense for self-preservation that will not let me buy bikes that I do not need. Most people will not take good advice about a bike to purchase, and it is a fact that people over-estimate their abuility to do anything, just like riding a bike. I used to ask people,with no experience and looking at a liter bike, if you were buying a helicopter and had never flown one, how quick would you want jump inside and take off without any idea of how to operate it. Too bad we don't have a graduated license system to keep dummies from biting off more than they can chew. But, this is America, and we should be able to buy things that could kill ourselves if we want, right?

G

gabeschine

FZ6 is my first bike. I've put maybe 1000+ miles on it so far. If I were to go back and do it again, I think a 250 or 500 would be better. Yesterday, I was getting on the highway and had an open area and figured I would unwind in 2nd gear for the first time (I generally keep it under 8k "cruising").

My thought process was: "HOOOOOOOOOLLLYY CRAAAPP this is FAST" and then "WOW how did that truck a mile off appear in front of me so quickly!".

It was fun, and it was scary as hell. This bike is stupid fast, and I can say that I'm not ready for it. I think I'll stick with under 8k for a while longer. I'm just not used to something (and yes, I used to drive a "fast" car) getting me from here to there quite this quickly - my brain hasn't learned how to keep up yet.

I also know, however, that no amount of convincing before buying the FZ would have convinced me NOT to get it. I couldn't explain the logic even now.

S

s4mt3k

I just read the article for the first time. My FZ6 is my first bike and I'm @ a little over 2K miles and still have a lot to learn for sure. I do have to say that the part that draws any kid/adult to a bike is seeing/hearing a nasty sportbike go by... and when you picture yourself on a bike for years and years, you don't ever think of this:

When I was a kid I saw myself on this instead:

Also, riders are of many kinds, and yeah sure, there's a ton of them that are very mellow and wise :thumbup: but then there's a ton of us that are adrenaline junkies. Also, I think that anyone that rides a bike has to have a measure of self-confidence cause riding a bike isn't for the faint of heart.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter how logical your article is, I think it's very hard to convince ourselves that we should really spend our next few years on a bike we used to laugh at as kids (due to our ignorance of course) to work up to the bike we've dreamt of riding!

Now with all that said, I think any potential rider should read this and if they can follow it than I'm sure they're better off than me...

That is why, I sent the article to my gf who will be taking the motorcycle safety class this coming weekend to decide whether she's a rider or a passenger haha!:D

I just started on the FZ6R and already I'm looking at the Ducati 848. I think height and weight has a lot to do with a person buying a first bike.

F

fz6nick

I just read the article for the first time. My FZ6 is my first bike and I'm @ a little over 2K miles and still have a lot to learn for sure. I do have to say that the part that draws any kid/adult to a bike is seeing/hearing a nasty sportbike go by... and when you picture yourself on a bike for years and years, you don't ever think of this:

When I was a kid I saw myself on this instead:

Also, riders are of many kinds, and yeah sure, there's a ton of them that are very mellow and wise :thumbup: but then there's a ton of us that are adrenaline junkies. Also, I think that anyone that rides a bike has to have a measure of self-confidence cause riding a bike isn't for the faint of heart.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter how logical your article is, I think it's very hard to convince ourselves that we should really spend our next few years on a bike we used to laugh at as kids (due to our ignorance of course) to work up to the bike we've dreamt of riding!

Now with all that said, I think any potential rider should read this and if they can follow it than I'm sure they're better off than me...

That is why, I sent the article to my gf who will be taking the motorcycle safety class this coming weekend to decide whether she's a rider or a passenger haha!:D
Ahhh the old gsxr 1100. The baddest bike of its time.

I just started on the FZ6R and already I'm looking at the Ducati 848. I think height and weight has a lot to do with a person buying a first bike.
Didn't you just say you wanted an R6 and an R1!!!!!

I'd stick to something, get some heavy miles under your belt, and learn how to ride safely!

Senaca

I was 19 two years ago when I first bought a Ninja 250 (2006 ZZR 250 in Canada). Had a blast on it for the summer, put 8K kms (5K miles), lots of two-up riding. Rode city and country, commuted, everything. Don't regret it one bit.

Next up was the FZ6, which was '05 model. Sure, the difference in power is utterly ubsurd. It's more of the sensitivity. Although, the FZ6 or FZ6R are not nearly as sensitive as the 600 cc supersports are. Still too sensitive for learner riders.

I'm very glad I learned on a 250. I still miss that bike. I also enjoyed getting 78 mpg when I owned it, compared to high 40s on the FZ6... Haven't figured out mileage on the FZ6R yet, that will come after break-in.

The new Ninja 250s look so much sleeker than when I had mine!

Sen :canada:

FZ6R-NE

Last summer I decided that I wanted to get a bike (having never ridden one before). After about a week of searching i found a kawasaki 250 in a town about 95 miles away. me and my dad went and bought it and i rode it back and took my riding test 2 days later passing it my first try. i kept it for the summer and sold it during the winter so i could buy a fz6r. amazingly enough i bought it for 2500 and sold it for 2500 because there is such a demand for them around here.

Attachments

Edd

This is an interesting thread, thanks to the OP for their comments...

Strangely, when reading up about the XJ6 here in the UK, it seems to be a perfect beginners bike, easy to ride, forgiving and not too sporty, while still having that sporty feel to it...

Is the FZ6R tuned differently to the XJ6? Is the riding position different?

This was my sensible choice in bike! :)

Pidge

Great article! I recently bought a FZ6R as my first bike because everybody told me that a 250cc wouldn't be fast enough to get out of the way of a merging car, etc. Now, I'm finding that it's too much of a bike for me to begin on, so now I'm looking into buying an old Nighthawk or Buell Blast to learn on, much to my husbands dismay.

My husband is an experienced rider and feels that the FZ6R is light enough for me so I should be able to learn easily. He doesn't quite understand that I don't have the stopping, starting, cornering, turning skills that are required to be a great rider and I find it very difficult to learn these skills on a bike that I really don't want ending up on its side.

In short, I really REALLY want to learn how to ride and learn how to ride well, but I should have gotten a bike that I would be ok with tipping over a couple times while learning how to make tight turns and swerving techniques. Yes, I did take the basic riding course, but unfortunately that just wasnt enough to get my confidence up. Does anyone think that another riding course would help? There is one offered locally that is 6 hours and only $120, maybe they could help me gain my confidence back?:(

rjsantana20

A rider course would help you gain your confidence back. They usually ride a 250cc bike. This would be something that you can get the basics on. I know a few that went to the class and the next bike they rode was a 600cc. You can do it!

FZJ

Strangely, when reading up about the XJ6 here in the UK, it seems to be a perfect beginners bike, easy to ride, forgiving and not too sporty, while still having that sporty feel to it...

QUOTE]

I perfectly agree. I would belive they would be the same just different in looks. I think this thread has many mixed feelings as to what is a good first bike. I think a lot of it has to do a lot with rider confidence. I've heard some girls around here start with r1s because their boyfriends recommended it and guess what. They're fine. The manager at a dealership I got my bike from said there was a gal that bought an r1 because of her boyfriend recommending it and she ended up fine although he did say that he thought the bike didn't suit her. Personally I think 600's are fine. It's just how confortable you feel on taking on the task. When I first started considering a bike I thought of a 250 ninja and when I told friends that they told me that it would be too small, or good luck going up hills, or giving a passenger a ride. I finally considered a 600 and some friends told me that I was going to regret it after a month and want a 1000. After riding this for two months I can see what they are talking about. So going back to the orignal post. Are 600s good starter bikes? Well it depends. I thought it was for me but ended up wanting something bigger after a month. What might be a good starter bike for someone might not be for somebody else so that's why questions like this can't honestly be answered. The only way to find out is to get on one and find out for yourself.

wtgrant87

My FZ6R is my first bike and I have never not been able to handle the power. I wouldn't want at R6 or similar with more power and lots of top end power, but the 6R is fine.

I wouldn't recommend it to riders who do not properly learn how to ride. Take a MSF certified training course and the 6R is not too much bike to start with. Even my instructors agreed that a 6R is a great bike. They even told people to not buy a 250 because after taking the class you can already handle a bigger bike.

Blueraven

Pidge,

Have you thought about going back to the place where you took the course and practice on your own when there are no riding classes going on. I took my course at the Fron Range Commnity College in Westminster and they have all the paint lines on the ground in their parkng lot. They encourged the students to practice on their own when the lot was empty. If you have frame sliders on you FZ6R you could take off you fairings and practice like that. It would keep you from scratching them up and put a little more clearance between your bike and the ground. Practicing with the heaver bike may be harder to start but you will be better with it when you are finished. If your husband is willing he could help coach you since he is experienced. Provided that doesn't start any arguments.:D

Pidge

He's been trying to teach me a few things but I'm just scared of dropping the bike. A friend of mine who is very experienced has offered to help me out with swerving, braking, cornering, etc. I'm hoping that if I follow his lead I can see exactly what my bike is capable of doing so I can push my fear aside and just go for it!

I'm thinking of practicing in the Arapahoe Community College parking lot. I go to school there and they've already got the lines painted on. Will probably be spending my Sunday there. :)

Detrich

LOL... xP. So ironic eh? =)

... But, this is America, and we should be able to buy things that could kill ourselves if we want, right?

Johje Bueas

You make a lot of great and well thought out points. I am relatively new to riding street motorcycles. I rode a Yamaha V-Star 650 from September 2007 until May of this year. I am 6'6", so I stepped up (for comfort, style and power) to a 2009 Yamaha FZ6R. IT IS A LOT DIFFERENT TO RIDE! I am happy that I did not go for the FZ1, as I'm sure I would have to have someone else type this for me. Please be careful out there. I haven't had an accident, but have had a few "scares." I've read that this bike is considered an entry level bike (FZ6R), but I struggle with that, if I had never ridden a motorcycle, I think it would be too much. Thank you for your article, hopefully it will save some road rash, broken bones and LIVES!

arkkornkid

how in the world did a poll from another thread get locked onto this one?

JSP

Super Moderator
Status
Not open for further replies.