Potential Riders MUST READ!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boo68

Great article so true. I took the safety class using a Honda Rebel 250 then bought a Ninja 500 rode that for a year, and then sold it for the same amount the next summer and moved to a ZX6. My husband bought me the FZ6 because he felt I would be more comfortable riding a little bit upright.. he was right. But I am happy that I started out on a 500 it was perfect height(I am 5'3"), and comfy.

Happy Riding!

M

mikelb63

I have a 06 fz6 in my garage. I'll be getting my license last week.

It seems like the vast majority of people in this thread are of the opinion that the fz6 is a poor choice as a first bike. Is that the general consensus?

I spent a good portion of the winter trying to pick out my first bike. I was steered by several local, experienced bikers to the fz6. The core of there reasoning was it tame enough to learn on (great handling, sluggish throttle at lower RPMs), yet had enough power to keep my happy for several years. Believe it or not the other two bikes I was seriously considering were a SV650 and an 83 yamaha maxim.

The general impression I've gotten reading reviews and comments online is that the fz6 is a "dr jekyl / Mr hyde" bike. It is apparantly very street friendly in the lower RPM range (0-8000) and a bit of a monster from 8000-14,000 RPMs (showing off its R6 heritage?)

H

HavBlue

It seems like the vast majority of people in this thread are of the opinion that the fz6 is a poor choice as a first bike. Is that the general consensus?
To the would be new rider that has never been on the street and has zero ride experience a sport bike with near 100 horsepower is a really bad idea. The reason for this is simply that the bike requires a skill level to be ridden properly that the new rider just doesn't have. These bikes are generally not very forgiving when mistakes are made and when you consider it takes a 90 degree twist of the throttle to get it all, that doesn't leave much room for error. To me, any veteran rider that suggests a first time rider go out and buy the likes of an FZ6 to learn on should be banned from the sport, forever!!

W

Whitey Dodge

To the would be new rider that has never been on the street and has zero ride experience a sport bike with near 100 horsepower is a really bad idea. The reason for this is simply that the bike requires a skill level to be ridden properly that the new rider just doesn't have. These bikes are generally not very forgiving when mistakes are made and when you consider it takes a 90 degree twist of the throttle to get it all, that doesn't leave much room for error. To me, any veteran rider that suggests a first time rider go out and buy the likes of an FZ6 to learn on should be banned from the sport, forever!!
Well I think it also depends on the maturity of the new rider. There are plenty of examples of 1st time riders on the FZ6, that have not wadded it up and have exercised control over the throttle. Also, the MSF course will go a long way in helping you to survive on the street. A place that I think is more dangerous than riding the FZ6 as your 1st bike.

To me the FZ6 is very tame on starting off and not nearly as easy to get away from you, as say a litre bike.

For my money there is only one modern beginner bike out there, and that is the SV650, or for more money, the Ducati 695. I would not pay good money for the GS500 and I would never start on a 250, if I were buying today. I want something that could also handle interstate riding.

Now if big 4 would import the likes of say, the VFR 400, those would be TRUE starter bikes.

H

HavBlue

Well I think it also depends on the maturity of the new rider. There are plenty of examples of 1st time riders on the FZ6, that have not wadded it up and have exercised control over the throttle. Also, the MSF course will go a long way in helping you to survive on the street. A place that I think is more dangerous than riding the FZ6 as your 1st bike.

To me the FZ6 is very tame on starting off and not nearly as easy to get away from you, as say a litre bike.

For my money there is only one modern beginner bike out there, and that is the SV650, or for more money, the Ducati 695. I would not pay good money for the GS500 and I would never start on a 250, if I were buying today. I want something that could also handle interstate riding.

Now if big 4 would import the likes of say, the VFR 400, those would be TRUE starter bikes.
Even on the likes of the R1 or the Gixer and for that matter a Hayabusa it could be said that if you never twist the throttle you may be safe and not wad up the bike but then again you will spend more time trying to keep from wadding it up than actually learning to ride and this is why you don't buy one to start off with. The SV650, Ninja 500, Ninja 650, Ducati 695, Ninja 250, Buell Blast and many of the dual sport bikes are excellent bikes to gain the skills and reflexes necessary to step up to a bigger more powerful bike. Starting on a sportbike with near 100 horsepower is not the accepted norm nor is it recommended by the mainstream. This isn't to say it can't be done but it is an accepted fact the learning curve will be very steep hence the reason they started the phrase "6 month club" many years ago.

W

Whitey Dodge

Even on the likes of the R1 or the Gixer and for that matter a Hayabusa it could be said that if you never twist the throttle you may be safe and not wad up the bike but then again you will spend more time trying to keep from wadding it up than actually learning to ride and this is why you don't buy one to start off with. The SV650, Ninja 500, Ninja 650, Ducati 695, Ninja 250, Buell Blast and many of the dual sport bikes are excellent bikes to gain the skills and reflexes necessary to step up to a bigger more powerful bike. Starting on a sportbike with near 100 horsepower is not the accepted norm nor is it recommended by the mainstream. This isn't to say it can't be done but it is an accepted fact the learning curve will be very steep hence the reason they started the phrase "6 month club" many years ago.
So 75 hp is okay, but 98 is not? Where do you draw the line? When does too much HP become too much? As for an R1, there is a world of difference between it, and the FZ6.

L

lonesoldier84

well i have minimal riding experience and just bought an '06 FZ6. I bought it for most of the reasons listed in the original post. But one thing does redeem me. I am scared ****less of getting hurt. My family needs me, so I have been training myself to be a perfectly conscientious driver with my car. I have always been a good driver for the most part in that I always try to be safe on the road and drive very defensively.

Now, I went through a progression with my decision to get the FZ6. I started with putting a downpayment on a Ducati 848. Then I was talked out of it as I read portions of THAT very article on another forum where it had been copy-pasted. So I decided to get a Kawi ZX-6R with a Rev or HP limiter of some sort so that I would ride a castrated ZX-6R as my first bike....thereby allowing me my vanity, satisfying my lifelong urge for a sportbike, and respecting every notion of safety possible. Then I spoke with my cousin who had been in a great bike crash years back and was talked into starting on a dual purpose bike like the KLR650.

I then found one for a good price and was all set to pick it up this week. I decided to go with the KLR one day when I sat down and thought to myself, what is motivating this all? I asked myself, if you could have a 2001 KLR or have no bike at all, how sad would you be with no bike. The answer was very sad. So I opted for the KLR and laid my internal drive for a sportbike to rest till next year. I would learn to ride 90% on the road and 10% on the dirt.

Then as I grew closer to picking up the KLR, I started asking myself, why not just start on a non-supersport kind of sport-bike. I wouldnt be riding on the dirt that much anyway as most my riding is in and around my house. So it would be sporty but safe....

I then called the dealer and called off the sale. I started looking very intently at the 650R which I really, really liked. The SV650 was uncomfortable for my leg-size, and the 650R was a great fit. I had essentially decided on picking up the 650R. I knew of the FZ6 in the back of my mind and had always considered it the market "competition" to the 650R from yamaha. I could find no FZ6's I could afford, and my only other options for what was available as a used bike was the GS500, and the bandit. GS500 was way too small physically (legs were a pain to squeeze onto it). Bandit fit very well. Also the bandits I found were priced quite well.

Now up to this point I had been slightly drawn to the FZ6 but at the prices I had seen it at was just too much to even look into the bike in any detail. All my research was done on the 650R and the Bandit, and the SV650.

Soooooooo, what happened? Here's what happened:

kijiji.com.........found a 2006 FZ6 for 6200 asking price (canadian). That was the upper echelon of what I could afford (with some strain....I had been looking in the 3-4 range previously, but I had recently recalculated the upper echelon of what I could afford). I saw the bike and just thought to myself, well it's a close enough bike to the 650R and bandit might as well check it out. I called him made an offer of 6k, he accepted. I was all set to pick it up but reconsidered the price and started thinking bout cheaper bikes again. Called it off.

Then 2 hours after I called the guy to tell him I couldnt buy it he calls back saying, "I'll knock off more money I need this bike gone." He settles for $5300 on the phone and I know he's been jerked around for 2-3 weeks by other buyers and just wants to unload it now. I quickly accept before he has time to rethink the deal I drive by and pick it up, give him the cash. Deal's done.

Later at home, I do some research and learn the FZ6 has the engine of the 2003 R6 and my stomach gets a light sinking feeling. This is exactly what I thought I had been avoiding. But up to this point I had been told by quite a few sources that with such a stable powerband and lower rpm tame-behaviour that the FZ6 was one of the most beginner friendly bikes in the sport class.

So now I am applying the logic that with EXTREME care, diligence, patience, respect, and fear. I can survive the riding season. I understand full well if I had gotten a 650R I would have enjoyed the bike more as it has almost 20 less HP. But what is done is done.

I am waiting on my gear before I ride the bike.

My gear is:
(all will be worn at ALL times even on the extremely hot days)

-Good helmet

-Heavy-duty leather jacket

-super-high end spine protector with built in neck brace and chest protector

-Purpose built street riding pants (with armour in knees taken out)

-Asterisk knee protectors (these things cost $600 you have to see these things they are bionic ligaments that wouldnt look out of place on a robot super-soldier)

-Super-Heavy duty riding boot (full size street but not the track racing kind)

-Armoured shorts (tailbone, hips, etc) but the highest end I could find cost me couple hundred from a very good website.

-Sexy gloves

I have adapted my vision of what this riding season will be. Initially it was living on the edge rip-roaring on a Ducati 848. After reading that article on another website (it was the EXACT same article) I changed my mind (also based on reading personal accounts on thinkbike.com about deaths and personal impact statements and thinking about my own family). Then decided to leave my ego at the door and be good. Castrated Zx-6R would let me have my cake and eat it too. Then decided it would handicap me for the future in that I could develop better riding skills on the dirt. Then decided Im not drawn to dirt riding at all.

NOW my vision for this riding season is this:

>>Cruise in a gentle manner along gentle roads in gentle traffic. Just enjoy my first bike as a nice friendly companion I will treat with the UTMOST respect. The bike and I will go for casual strolls on lazy days. But on those casual strolls for lazy days I will be in terror-mode trying to keep myself alive against the infinite number of threats that exist on the roads (not saying Ill be actually terrified to the point of being a completely ineffective rider, just saying i'll be super catious).

>>I will sacrifice 70% of the fun I would have had on the bandit or SV650 in order to ensure as best I can I survive this first season. Even doing this, I will fall head over heels in love with my bike, as I have already started doing even before riding it...as I have been falling in love after I first tasted a motorcycle back when I was 12 (2 months on and off riding overseas). I have had a passion lurking in me for years I was never able to indulge until now. And now that the time has come, I know I have to do it. But nothing transcends life itself. So I will control every variable within my control to the best of my ability and mental focus.

In all of this, I think I could have done worse than the FZ6 (i.e. the ZX-6R, or the 848!!), but I could also have done much better for myself. But in all honesty I do have a certain amount of confidence I will survive the season. While the FZ6 may be learning to dance the tango with a sedated jaguar....it's still better than learning to tango with a grizzly bear.

But I am VERY interested in limiting the bike somehow. Someone posted not to limit the bike, I was wondering why limiting the bike would be a bad idea? Is it possible to just cut 20hp out of the bike and essentially turn it into a 650R???

D

Doorag

Just remember all the bike's power resides in your right wrist. If you don't give it the power it can't take it on its own.

Be safe and enjoy your most excellent motorcycle.

S

Spike

Very good article. As an older rider who hadn't owned or ridden anything with more than 30 horsepower in many years I would have like to buy my FZ in a restricted version that can be up-rated later. But no such thing exists in the US. However, I have found the FZ to be very docile if you keep the revs below 5500 or so. Short shifting makes this bike a very calm ride. How many people have the self control to stay out of the power band until they have developed the better riding skills? Probably less than 10% would be my guess.
I've had some wake-up moments on the FZ due to over-confidence and must say a restricted version would have eliminated some tense moments for me. Just my 2 cents.

A

AgentW

I am sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread already.

I'm definately what you would deem a new rider - having been riding for about 2 months. My first bike was a YBR 125 which I had until I passed my test (for about 6 weeks).

The last 2 weeks or so, I purchased my new FZ6 S2. However, it's restricted to 33BHP (25 KWh). What're people's thoughts about that for a bike, considering my [lack of] experience?

Nelly

I am sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread already.

I'm definately what you would deem a new rider - having been riding for about 2 months. My first bike was a YBR 125 which I had until I passed my test (for about 6 weeks).

The last 2 weeks or so, I purchased my new FZ6 S2. However, it's restricted to 33BHP (25 KWh). What're people's thoughts about that for a bike, considering my [lack of] experience?
Its restricted and has just over twice the power of your previous bike. I think that its a great idea to restrict them as you get the full riding experience, weight, stearing, ride quality. It will still just about do a ton with the restriction so its loads of power.
I think its a good gradual step as your training continues and your experience grows.

NELLY

Z

Zealous

I read the whole article and wholeheartedly agree, as long as the circumstances allow. I live in far NW Las Vegas. It is extremely hilly in the area with steep grades to most roads, and the summers are just brutally hot. After getting out of the area it is flat in most places, but Vegas is surrounded by mountains. With these factors a 250 just won't cut it.

I agree that you should not get a bike that is too powerful for you, and you need to work on skills like awareness and safety most importantly; not how fast you can go. In certain situations however (like the above stated), I DO believe a 250 is not logical. The main point is responsibility. If you are new to motorcycles, there is no reason to go fast. Unless you have a death wish you should be petrified of high speeds for awhile. If you are in a situation where a 250 would work, then DO NOT get a 600cc. That is obvious.

I think that one thing overlooked in the article is the danger of cager drivers to beginning motorcyclists. It is mentioned, but it is extremely important to understand this point. People on four wheels are more visible, don't have to worry about laying their car down, and no matter how many motorcycles are on the road; they will never understand their mistakes towards us if they don't ride. Take Las Vegas for example. The drivers here are absolutely horrid. If you aren't riding defensively, then you shouldn't be riding at all.

Basically there are two factors to being killed in an accident or seriously injured:

1. One is your own responsibility. Are you pushing yourself farther then you are ready? Are you getting yourself into situations that you aren't able to handle? Are you going faster then your reaction speed would allow you to avoid a mistake? Are you an aspiring squid who only wanted to ride to look cool? Did you take your MSF? If you didn't, why are you riding and putting yourself in so much danger? Research is sooo important. There is nothing cool about someone who goes lowside in a tshirt and flipflops doing a wheelie at 70MPH around a blind curve. Those people are idiots who are bound to hurt themselves or others. I'm not saying all stunters are idiots. I think stunts are cool, but only if you're experienced and not putting yourself or anyone else in danger of a horrible accident. basically they're cool in parking lots with lots of room, or at a stunt show. Keep them off the road.

2. Other drivers. They're not all meatheads either. Everyone cuts corners driving or riding at some point, even us as the article states. Getting mad doesn't accomplish anything anyway. Just watch out. Traffic is the scariest thing in the world for a new rider, so you need to be alert and ready.

Basically don't be stupid; keep your rear in the seat, eyes on the road, and rubber side down.

There are exceptions to the rule for a first bike. I believe a 600 is ok if your situation demands it and you are very careful. A 250 is great otherwise. If your first bike is anything above 600cc, you're probably an idiot.

Now on a less serious note here is a video of a bunch of squids for your entertainment. Watch for the guy who falls off his yellow bike on the freeway in front of a truck hauling a 30ft trailer. Hope he's doing ok and making better choices. :thumbup:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTEO8ka5e0M"]YouTube - Squids with mad skillz?[/ame]

S

stevesnj

That music seems to make everything seem okay after a fall. I think I will play that song whenever i ride!! :D

L

lasermax

Yes, a great article that any noobie to the motorcycling community should fully read. The new ninja 250 would be an EXCELLENT choice for a beginner, and heck, even a novice! They're so much fun to ride, light and neutral handling. Bikes have come so unbelievably far in the last few years, that almost any NEW 600cc sportbike, say from 2002 or so up till now, is just too much for ALMOST any beginner. Even most of us very experienced riders will never fully realize the full potential of some of those bikes. And, as my girlfriend Monica, aka Twisted_charmer, is a motorsports salesperson, she's tried many times to talk young men full of testosterone out of the latest and greatest offerings, in favor of a more fitting mount, like say the FZ 6, to no avail. They want what they want. That said, I'm reminded of this quote: "It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." -funny how many times that quote has stopped me from doing things... or not.;) By the way, Benny Hill rules, and the above video shows that yellow bikes definitely crash the most, so don't buy a yellow R1 as a first bike.

A

ashridge

Great article - very thought provoking.

I'm 41 years old and have been riding for 10 years. I just bought a FZ6, which is my 4th bike. Because of a daily commute into London I've been riding a Honda Transalp for the past 3 years and wanted/needed a change because I had outgrown the bike.

I test rode the usual suspects and it came down to the FZ6 or Aprilia Shiver. I'm glad my head won the argument! Having ridden the shop's demonstrator for two weeks (delay on mine arriving) I have decided to book in for some advanced riding instruction. The FZ6 is a fantastic bike and can really give you every kind of ride you want, BUT a twist of your right wrist will unleash the beast.

It is no good being able to control a bike at the bottom of its performance you must be able to control it in every situation otherwise you will not be riding for very long...

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Best
Adam

A

ashridge

I read the whole article...

2. Other drivers. They're not all meatheads either. Everyone cuts corners driving or riding at some point, even us as the article states. Getting mad doesn't accomplish anything anyway. Just watch out. Traffic is the scariest thing in the world for a new rider, so you need to be alert and ready.

YouTube - Squids with mad skillz?
Thanks for the video zealous - it did make me laugh.

To echo the sentiment of your second point, and highlighted so many times in the video, it's not always your riding that gets you into trouble.

A

abacall

It was an article very similar to this on a SV650 forum that convinced me to not buy the SV and look for a 250. I saw the 08 Ninja 250 and got one within a week (very lucky). I rode it ~2,000 miles. The Ninja 250 is an amazing bike. It handles and brakes extremely well. The power is definitely enough for a new rider and can certainly get you into trouble if you don't take it easy. The best reason I can think of to get on a 250 first is that it was designed for beginners. A mellow power band, long clutch engagement point, lots of modulation on the brakes, and quick nature can make learning a forgiving and rewarding process. If you think the 250 is "not enough," think again.
The biggest reason I upgraded to the FZ6 was the hills in the area. I've still got a lot to learn, and plan on a track day with the FZ6 to better understand its power and handling.

T

towa

Well

As a new rider, with a brand new FZ6 S (98 HP and ABS) I obviously not approve. I trained on a "big bike" and also did safety courses as part of the license.

I know riding is dangerous, and all the accidents scare me, but it is still the right hand that decides.

I use the bike to travel between Aarhus to Copenhagen on good days (600 km pr. day). I only travel in good weather, and use car when weather is bad. I drive approx. 60.000 km per year (car and bike) and I would argue that predicting others behaviour in traffic is as important as you own riding skills.

Also many accidents aren’t coursed by new riders, in fact many accidents are caused by experienced ones. In Denmark the authorities are investigating causes for accidents, and expect to release a report in early 2009. When it becomes public I will post the results.

M

mbruegge

I am a new member to this forum. I read all the new posts daily to educate myself . But I also have come to the conclusion that some members are FZ6 SNOBS. Everyone should have the right to voice their opinion on this forum...but again its just an opinion. I am a new owner of a 08 FZ6 and new rider. IN my opinion I see riders everyday riding bikes that are beyond their capabilities but that is their choice to ride the bikes they own. The opinion of this thread that a 600 cc is not a starter bike is rubbish....in my opinion.LOL
Most riders I have read on this site ride their bikes in the 4000 t0 5000 rpm band. You hardley can get in trouble riding at these rpm speeds....again only my opinion just like the opinion of this thread. I know you believe you are providing a service to new riders to steer them to a smaller cc bike but again its just an OPINION.

W

wing8872

I did the same thing. I did a lot of research and found both good and bad information on many bikes. I also found experienced riders giving both good and bad advice.

I was one of those, "I like it. I'll take it," people too and the dealer was all to happy to sell and even deliver the bike to my home. Mine was a new 08 FZ6 in black. Beautiful bike. Road it a few times and this bike told me, in no uncertain terms, "boy! park my butt in the garage. Crank me up from time to time for a few mins but don't ride me to keep my engine from seizing up. Go buy yourself a more forgiving bike and learn on him. Come back when you have more skill. I'll be waiting. The alternative is to keep riding me and I will kill you one day with your level of skills. Your respect for my power is touching as you've been careful with my throttle but you aren't good enough to handle me....yet!"

My MSF instructor agreed with the Yama. So a nice rebel 250 joined it in the garage. The rebel has almost 1000 miles on it from me and the FZ6 has 300. Needless to say, even with only a month of honest riding from the rebel, I can already see that I'm getting much better. I do take the Yama out for a ride every so often on easier to ride roads with less traffic and we do have more fun together and I'm not as indecisive now as I was. I still have a long way to go and the rebel still has some lessons for me.

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.