Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Roaddawg

What I find kinda ironic and funny is with the title, "Potential Riders MUST READ!!!!!" people are obviously NOT reading it....just voting. And, with that title, wouldn't you find it strange that the thread is asking you to vote about your decals....because THAT is a must read for potential riders WHO DON'T EVEN HAVE A BIKE TO REMOVE THE DECALS FROM!!!!) :don'tknow:

Brock Kickass

I don't mean to be a jerk or a hotshot, but I would like to make the argument that a 600cc sport bike (not a super-sport) can be a good first bike for some riders.

For a complete novice with no experience to motorcycles at all, this could be a very dangerous bike. For someone young who does not have the proper sense of respect and caution for very high actual speeds, this could be a very dangerous bike.

However, some of us have a natural aptitude for driving/riding. Also, some of us have grown up with machines you ride, as opposed to drive. My FZ6R is my first street bike, and I have found it to be excellent. The handling is stable, predictable, and forgiving. The power is quite manageable, and I find I have to be quite aggressive to ride the bike fast. Having grown in to the bike and explored its performance, I can say with confidence that lifting the front end by accident could only happen in freak circumstances. I have made some very aggressive starts from dead stop, and the front gets slightly light, but never lifts.

Again, I would like to stress that I do not consider myself some sort of super-star who can jump on a bike for the first time and ride it wide open. I grew up in a family of high performance drivers/riders, and the first lesson has always been "respect the machine". Nobody in my family can be considered careless or reckless, and in fact, quite the opposite.

My point is that every rider is different. Buying your first motorcycle is a major decision that requires much research, as well as much looking within. I am trading my 6R for an FZ8 this weekend (as long as the bank will let me) and have no regrets. Something smaller would have been disappointing, but starting on the 8 would have been too much. My FZ6R has been the perfect starter bike, and I look forward to many happy miles on my new 8.

Safe riding!

Yellow09FZ6R

As stated this can be argued all day long but i started on a litre bike and wouldn't have it any other way the broad power band made it incredibly easy to ride but I find myself being a mature person and knew my limits. Many other people might not know theirs which is were the problem is. It's a lot easier to get into trouble on a litre bike compared to a 250

SAFE-T

According to the NHTSA, motorcycle fatalities in 2004 for bikes with 501-1000cc displacement were more than SEVEN TIMES that for bikes with 500cc and under displacement.
Ironically, most of these were cruisers, ridden by middle-aged people, not 17yr-olds on sportbikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.