Never Crashed? Please read

So far, 1400 mile new rider. Been down once, but it was in my yard on wet grass. Ripped my elbow and side up on the edge of my driveway as I wasn't wearing any gear. Also did about $100.00 in damage to the bike as well as suffering a bruised ego.

all good

All good points, I especially think the commuter vs. the weekend rider has a point. Commuters might have a disadvantage. you might think the other way around because more experience equals less chance of problem but I think the opposite when it comes to commuting. If you are driving to/from the same work location everyday, taking the same roads etc. you get complacent, I know I do in my car. I think that and the fact your just on it so much more increase your chances of having an incident. Obviously experience is good I feel more capable already now than I did 3000 miles ago. Also someone else said they think about it or are scared everytime they get on and I don't think that's a bad thing. Hopefully keeps us from doing anything too stupid.

And no I don't consider dropping or laying it down while stopped or parking etc. an accident really. That does seem close to 100% :)
Was more thinking of the gravel patch hit at 60 or of course anything involving another vehicle.

Last edited:
So you rode motorcross bikes at age 12. Tell me, did you ever fall on it?

New riders are more keen to make mistakes. If you have experience on a bike, it decreases your chances of making mistakes. It's more of a phrase not a palm reading.. I have scars and stories, some dump a bike and scrape their knee... others fail to notice the warnings of the road or make the wrong choice and pay the ultimate price for it or are reminded of it for the rest of their lives. The biggest reason people say not if but when is... a person that has been through dropping a bike learn real quick... that it isn't fun... can often be very expensive or painful. People that have lived through it know the consequences of being foolish or putting your guard down for a split second... if you don't always respect the road, the bike, and never ever expect anyone to be a safe driver for you... your on your way to a spill. If something still happens.. it just wasn't in the cards. The famous saying, "Shit Happens!" Some riders get it right from the beginning... and others are just lucky.

In closing, if you are looking for a guarantee... you won't get one.

Ride safe! :thumbup:

No one is looking for a guarantee, I just thought it would be nice to know its at least possible to get through without one. And I probably didn't state it well about the experience, of course more experience will make you a better rider when it comes to all areas, hell I have gotten better just owning a bike for 3000 miles. i just think that getting complacent works against you when commuting to the same place taking the same route everyday. And trust me when I say I respect the road and not only do I not expect other people to be good drivers for me, I pretty much expect everyone is going to do something stupid!
And no I never crashed riding dirt bikes as a kid but I was never racing them either. Falling off my bicycle was enough to let me know I didn't want to crash on a motorcycle.

NooB here, but only to this site. Our bikes share too much to not check in and see how these are holding up.

3 years, 16,000 miles, no drops, no downs, and I'm not SS! Sh$t happens and its just a matter of time! lol Anyway, first street bike an so far so good. Like the PO, dirt bikes from 8y/o and throughout life, snow ski, stand up Jet Ski, Water Ski, and still Skate Board. I think dirt bikes help learn what to do when one end steps out. You certainly learn how to flick an toss!! Riding on crappy roads helps too! I've had some close calls and hope I learn from each.

I play hard, push limits, test everything so I know our capabilities. Not what can the bike do, but what can we as a pair do. Practice Practice Practice and never let your guard down. So far so good and I am ATGATT! When it happens I may break bones but I'd like to think the skin on me now is mine to keep!

Back