Military sport bike course

mradamhopkins

Has anyone taken this? I am on the standby list for the 26th and 27th next week just wanted some heads up on what to expect. Thanks!

Haha love those videos we had to watch them when I did the msf basic riders course I guess the sportbike is just a few more tips and tricks.

I took the sportbike course through the military last year in California. The guy that taught the class is the same one who teaches it for the civilians out in town so I don't expect there to be any difference in what is taught.

I wouldn't go in with any expectations. It's a simple course that starts and ends with the basics unless of course you're taking the advanced course. I had never ridden a bike prior to taking the course but I imagine I would know a lot less if I didn't. If you've been riding for any length of time, it will probably seem quite boring. Myself, I was excited to do 20 mph for .5 seconds in a small parking lot.

Good luck with the course and tell that little box for the figure 8 I said "hi".

Has anyone taken this? I am on the standby list for the 26th and 27th next week just wanted some heads up on what to expect. Thanks!

The RiderCourses the others are refering to is the Basic RiderCourse. The Advanced RiderCourse - SportBike Techniques is NOTHING like that. I teach both of these (along with others) and you will NOT be bored. There is a few hours of classroom to start off focusing on Self-Assessment and Risk, hopefully from a different point of view. The rest of the day is on the range on your bike. You will be exploring and discovering threshhold braking, different body positions and lean angles on multiple curves, decreasing radius curves and so forth. No slow speed stuff here.
Enjoy, experiment, self-assess, discover...
Let us know what you think afterwards.

I'd expect they'd teach you about the danger zones, human factors and being safe more than anything.

My take :
- don't ride faster than you are comfortable with. stay at a speed that is COMFORTABLE. You get better over time, not by pushing it, don't push on bikes, you'll feel the proficiency come in time rather than having to push now.
- If in doubt, slow down and stay in the same lane.
- Always head check when changing lanes, ALWAYS,ALWAYS,ALWAYS. Really look over and behind you, stretch that torso and neck.
- don't show off in front of cameras or hot chicks or anyone observing.
- If in doubt stay to the right (or left in Australia)
- slow down if there's potential dangers, practise, emergency braking.
- stay cool, let it go.

Thanks REDWING that's what I was wanting to hear. Something a little challenging and more insight. I don't have to take the course since I will be out of the Army next month and back to beautiful Florida but, A. It's a 2 day course and lots of range time vs class time, and B. at this point I take whatever classes I can to get out of work and all the formations haha.

Back