Marthy's Airbox mod

etrnalone

just a couple questions. with this airbox mod being done whats the solution to the power commander? do you need to have it or not. i have read in a couple places that the bikes run a little on the lean side anyway and if you do this it makes it run leaner. which will burn the valves. so for those of us without a power commander or the likes is this a safe thing to do with out hurting the engine? also without the power commander after doing this mod hows it effect the performance? better low end? better top end or midrange? i guess whats the advantages of doing it without the power commander?

abyss1406

without the PCV the bike will loose bottom end, but mid/high RPM's are better

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

abyss1406

youll be fine, your already running lean with a full exhaust as it stands with no PCV

PhatSV6

Results ?

So how did you go with the airbox mod once you fixed your clutch??

Do you have any dyno numbers mate :)

I would love to know the outcome of this one mate :):steve:

FZFishR

Here we go!!! :D:D:D

Got the velocity stack this morning and already installed! End up a little longer than what I wanted but I think it's perfect length if you don't have the FZ6 cams. It is shorter than the long stack but a bit longer than the short one. Due to the taper being so long I couldn't make them shorter.

So they won't be tune as good as I wanted but the gain in airflow should compensate for it. Can't wait to give them a good try. Not much I can do without my new clutch... I'll test the cruising range until then.

Do sound good and sharp response!
Im not exactly sure what this mod does, but im assuming the shorter stacks allow air to have a shorter/faster/smoother route into the engine? and the gold foil is to insulate the airbox from the engine right below it?

I also saw someone mention moving the TPI sensor somewhere cooler in order to trick the engine into fueling for colder air, i would like to know if you think thats worth doing, since it seems like a budget placeholder for a ecu flash/tune/PC

FZFishR

If you get something working for true ram air on the 6r please update this thread. I'd be interested in trying this mod with a how to. Loved ram air on my Z28 and my current Hemi Ram. Like Marthy said, won't make much difference except in the upper rev range. Still better then having them there as bug collectors especially if it's a cheap and easy mod.
Did they ever end up doing this?