Hot weather gear

gearhead

Cycle Gear has a sale on Frank Thomas gear. Is it any good? Alpinestars and Dianese has the reputation, but is it just marketing? I need to find good quality, hot-weather gear and I'm thinking mesh jacket and pants. Temps frequently rise into the 100's here, with 110+++ not out of the question- it's F'n HOT during the summer. Last year I rode wearing only shorts and a t-shirt because driving my car with air conditioning was very tempting. At 110 degrees on a bike it's like riding into a giant hair dryer. My Fieldsheer Razor perf leather jacket is great until 90 degrees, after that, I just wont wear it. This is why I'm thinking mesh is better than nothing and if Frank Thomas is good gear or what else do you all recommend?

My Frank Thomas perforated leathers are good quality and offer pretty good ventilation as long as you're moving. Not as nice as the other brands you mentioned. But I have a friend who has crashed a couple of times in the same XTi 2 pc. suit I have and walked away without a scratch on him. A major difference is the quality and softness of the leather.

HOWEVER- (This is just my opinion so feel free to disagree with me) No mesh pants or jacket are going to protect like that. No matter what brand. I've ridden in 100º+ weather myself and you're right, it's no fun. But I'd rather be really hot and try to keep hydrated and cool in other ways than have a mesh jacket melted to my skin in the event of a crash. BUT those mesh pants and jacket are FAR better than wearing shorts and t-shirts. So you're going in the right direction for sure. :thumbup:

I've heard of guys putting summer weather Under Armor shirts and tights in the freezer the night before a ride and once they're under your leathers, they don't loose their cold temps as fast as you'd think. I know just wearing an Under Armor long sleeve shirt under my leathers in 95º heat was so much cooler than wearing just a t-shirt under them. I don't know how that stuff works, but it does.

Jon does this opinion just reflect mesh and not textile. If not what your opinion on it. A buddy of mine went down in mesh and he'll never wear it again. Another friend wears astars textile and he claims it works just as well as leather.

Personally I'm looking for a perf leather jacket with a good liner. Preferably an astars that I can wear all year long in our wonderful socali weather :)

Last edited:
Bit the bullet...

So, I broke down and bought a mesh jacket. :eek: My textile jacket just wasn't providing enough air flow to keep me cool. And since we are already in the upper 90's with +90% humidity, the heat indexes were well into the 110's and the rides were miserable. I got the Speed and Strength Twist of Fate mesh jacket.

Speed and Strength Twist of Fate Mesh Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

It was on sale for $120 below MSRP! :eek: It has a mesh torso, but textile for the outer portion of the sleeves which should provide a little better abrasion resistance that straight mesh would. I'll let everyone know what I think when it gets here next week.

just gotta say... I love mine... when I go down, I'll let you know how it does in a crash, until then, I love it. I don't think it will do perfect in a crash, front's a bit shy of protection, but as far as mesh goes, sides, arms and back are well protected.

I am looking for leathers for cooler weather... but I already had a thread on that.

Do you have the Twist of Fate or another mesh jacket? I don't plan on racing in it, I just want it for around town. So as long as it holds up in that type of crash, it should serve its purpose. Although, I hope to never test it. For my more "aggressive" riding, it will be my textile jacket on my back.

I've got the Tourmaster Intake jacket and, let me tell you, last summer when it was over the 100's, that mesh sure did make a difference. It feels like your just wearing a t-shirt, but you still have some protection. For just plain cool factor (temp that is), I thought it was better than a t-shirt because your skin is somewhat shaded by the jacket, so your not getting that direct sun beating down on you. I also wear this jacket year round (rain, cold, heat) with the zip in liners and long johns when it gets colder, and I have no complaints.

When it comes to safety factors with mesh, of course, leather is the best, but does anyone have any legitimate links that talks/shows about the aftermath of a mesh jacket? I've heard some people say it melts to your skin in a slide and whatnot, but I have yet to see any pics or actual discussions about it. All I find is reviews of the jackets pre-crash. If you have any good info, can you please direct me to it?

So, I broke down and bought a mesh jacket. :eek: My textile jacket just wasn't providing enough air flow to keep me cool. And since we are already in the upper 90's with +90% humidity, the heat indexes were well into the 110's and the rides were miserable. I got the Speed and Strength Twist of Fate mesh jacket.

Speed and Strength Twist of Fate Mesh Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

It was on sale for $120 below MSRP! :eek: It has a mesh torso, but textile for the outer portion of the sleeves which should provide a little better abrasion resistance that straight mesh would. I'll let everyone know what I think when it gets here next week.

That's a good deal!

When it comes to safety factors with mesh, of course, leather is the best, but does anyone have any legitimate links that talks/shows about the aftermath of a mesh jacket? I've heard some people say it melts to your skin in a slide and whatnot, but I have yet to see any pics or actual discussions about it. All I find is reviews of the jackets pre-crash. If you have any good info, can you please direct me to it?

That would be an awesome Mythbusters episode: If you were going to crash, what would you want to crash in? Does all mesh melt? Is textile as good as leather? Does leather offer the BEST protection?

Rode around today in my Fieldsheer Flex perforated leather jacket. And despite it being a hot, sunny day- I felt very cool as long as I was moving... Even the sleeves on this leather jacket are perforated. So as long as you're moving it's like a cool breeze flowing throughout your upper body. I am really loving this jacket. Lotsa padding around the elbows & torso & back areas, as well as an aerodynamic hump on the back... It's really a shame that Fieldsheer discontinued this model, because I would've liked to have picked up the Flex suit if I could find it in my size... Great design imo...

No worries of getting too hot here.

We did the annual Local Ride for Dad (Prostrate Cancer awareness run - another story for another thread) yesterday and it was a balmy (sarcasim :rolleyes:) 12 degrees here (thats 54 for all our American friends :)) yesterday morning

I wore my thermal underwear and 3 layers of shirts. The heated grips came in real handy let me tell ya!!

Us Newfoundlanders are a hearty bunch - 700 bikes took part!

That's a good deal!

Yeah, too good to pass up!! I had actually tried the Intake jacket on at the dealership and liked all the removable liners. But when I got home to look at the price online, the SS Twist of Fate was just too good a deal. $120 off MSRP and $70 cheaper than the Intake.

No worries of getting too hot here.

We did the annual Local Ride for Dad (Prostrate Cancer awareness run - another story for another thread) yesterday and it was a balmy (sarcasim :rolleyes:) 12 degrees here (thats 54 for all our American friends :)) yesterday morning

I wore my thermal underwear and 3 layers of shirts. The heated grips came in real handy let me tell ya!!

Us Newfoundlanders are a hearty bunch - 700 bikes took part!

I would think that 54F (12C) degrees would feel balmy to Canadians!!:) Your dressing like I did in the winter in the 30's. (not bragging, just surprised you dressed that much) It's been cooler than normal here for this time of year (in the low 50's in the morning) and I think that temperature is nice riding weather.

700...that's a nice group ride.

I would think that 54F (12C) degrees would feel balmy to Canadians!!:) Your dressing like I did in the winter in the 30's. (not bragging, just surprised you dressed that much) It's been cooler than normal here for this time of year (in the low 50's in the morning) and I think that temperature is nice riding weather.

700...that's a nice group ride.

Yes but did I mention the 100 kl per hour winds? With the wind chill it felt more like 3c or 37 in American terms. On the highway leg of the run I was at a 45 degree angle more often than not.

I have tendonitus in both arms and wrists and I find when I'm cold my dexterity SUXs big time, I also get stupid on the bike when I'm cold,:surrender: hence the bundling.

ack, that's really cold InsureGal... :(

it's a sunny 76F in los angeles today... :)

jeez the overnight low was 78 here, it's a miserable 99 degrees today with a oppressing heat index of around 105... maybe more. Humidity is kicking our a$$, but that's life in Memphis.... just gotta find some air conditioning and sweet tea.

Needless to say, I haven't ridden much in the past 2 weeks and the near future doesn't look promising. This is the "put all your gear on while your inside, run to your bike and get going asap" kind of weather. Sweating before you throw your leg over sucks donkey nuts.

Back