Is BiLT any good or not?

Chuck12

Should I just buy a Shoei helmet for the big bucks or is there any truth to the below report? This guy below thinks possibly a BiLT helmet is a pretty good choice. Why pay more than need be? Look at the report I found below and give us all your opinion. Trying to make a good educated choice on a helmet first time around and not having to pay more than needed. But If I have to; I am willing to save up for a good quality helmet, and not be cheep and sorry.

Thanks for the input!

Short answer is that it is decent quality comparable with entry-level gear, at an even lower price with a very good warranty, but don't expect it to be more than it is - BiLT stuff won't compete with Dianese, REV'IT, Spidi, or the higher end stuff from other brands. But it will compete with entry level Speed and Strength, Shift, Tourmaster, etc. Here is a quote from another thread that might be useful:

Quote:
I've done some research and I've found out that 7 factories in Pakistan make about 80% of the motorcycle gear (boots, jackets, gloves) for the majority of companies out there (Alpinestar, Dynastar, Firstgear, SIDI, Teknic, Fieldsheer, etc). There also some factories in India and China but the majority is from Pakistan.

Why did I start researching this? Because I was on Cycle Gear's website and saw a pair of boots (BiLT brand) that looked exactly like a pair that is offered by SHIFT but at over half the price. I had never heard of BiLT so I called the Cycle Gear store in Louisville, KY and talked to them about it. They told me that it was a new "House" brand for them but couldn't tell me anything more about it, so that is when I decided to do some research. (I'm an Intelligence Analyst for the government so I'm pretty good at doing reseach, it also helps to have contacts working over in THAT country that gathers economic intelligence)

Here's what I found out. The boot by BiLT is made in the very same factory as the SHIFT boot, on the same line. SHIFT boot $100, BiLT boot $49.99. Alpinestar made in the same place and similar design $170........ Difference in the Alpinestar and other two is one higher grade of leather is used. Is that really worth $120 more?

I didn't end up buying that boot but I did buy another one from BiLT. Cost, $70 same boot different brand, $260. Oh yeah, they are made in the same factory..........

BiLT also has a weather proof boot that looks identical to my Alpinestars. Cycle Gear price $60. I paid $180 last year on Closeout for them.

This ties into my recent frustration over gear that is identical, branded by different companies. And generally to the large companies (A*, Joe Rocket, Shift, ICON, Technic, Speed and Strength, Scorpion, Cortech, etc.) simply putting their name on stuff that comes out of foreign factories without much differentiation, design, etc. It shows that motorcycle gear is all about marketing, and guess who the chumps are? Us, for paying for the A* or Icon or Joe Rocket labels. In that kind of market, the recent emergence of BiLT and Sedici as the Cyclegear house brands makes a ton of sense. Cyclegear buys the same stuff directly from the same Pakistani factories and rebrands it without going through the middleman, allowing Cyclegear to offer essentially the same products at significant discounts.

From the research I've done on this since I got the last CycleGear flyer, the quality of the BiLT stuff (5 year warranty) is about what you'd expect from the lower end of the A*, Joe Rocket, Shift, Scorpion, Speed and Strength, Vega, etc. lines at about 1/2 the prices. Entry level gear with some features, reasonably well made, but not going to hold up to comparison with the really high quality stuff. Sedici (lifetime warranty) is meant to offer quality to compete with the top of the line from these manufacturers. My take is that this is genius by CycleGear. And, honestly, consumers who continue to buy the big brands are being taken for a ride and giving away their money to pay for nothing more than marketing and branding.

The rational consumer response to the same factories making most of everything, and to the big companies irresponsibly slapping their labels often on the same products (or with styling varations to differentiate their brand) is one of three things:
1) Start buying from responsible, smaller companies that design their own stuff for purpose, run their own factories, and really care about quality. Aerostich, Vanson, Teiz, etc. Check out this thread: Best Small Companies for Gear;
2) Pay the money to get the uber high quality products that have complete product control and aren't likely to have fungible products. Dianese, RevIt, Sidi, Motoport, Aerostich, etc.;
3) Recognize that much of the gear out there is interchangeable and comes out of the same factories and go with the CycleGear brands to save money and cut out the middleman so you don't have to pay their margins and fund the cost of their branding and marketing efforts. Buy BiLT for the inexepensive stuff and Sedici for the quality.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

D52

Should I just pay a Shoei for the big bucks or is there any truth to the below report? Why pay more than need be? Look at the report I found below and give us all your opinion.

3) Recognize that much of the gear out there is interchangeable and comes out of the same factories and go with the CycleGear brands to save money and cut out the middleman so you don't have to pay their margins and fund the cost of their branding and marketing efforts. Buy BiLT for the inexepensive stuff and Sedici for the quality.

From my own experience, I do not view Sedici as a quality "brand." When I bought my first bike a few seasons back, I shopped for inexpensive gear until I decided if motorcycling was something I was really going to get into or not. I bought a Sedici leather jacket and a pair of leather-mesh composite gloves. The jacket never really broke in and always felt stiff and boxy. I especially disliked the cuff, or lack thereof, around the wrist. The stitching was crudely done and the edge of the cuff was rough and irritating to my wrists. The velcro on the gloves barely lasted one season before it stopped sticking. When I upgraded to the FZ6R, I also upgraded to a Dainese jacket and gloves. Completely opposite end of the brand spectrum and more than what I would have preferred to pay, but after hours of research online, I learned that much of their line has a "European cut" (i.e. smaller and tighter) whereas many of the middle-of-the-road brands such as Icon have an "American cut" (for the "American gut" as one site humorously put it). After a year, both pieces of gear are extremely comfortable (there is a noticeable difference in leather quality) and fit my tall, skinny self very well.

I have no experience with Bilt other than inquiring about it at my local Cycle Gear and was being told that none of the employees there actually own any.

I guess if nothing else, it's all about finding something that fits your needs, and then going with the cheapest option available.

rhnatyk

I'm a little confused by your post. You started off talking about Shoei, a company that only produces helmets (since 1958) and only produces them in Japan. Then you go on to cite research about motorcycle apparel being manufactured in Pakistan under multiple brand names.

None of the top brand helmets (Shoei, Arai, etc) are going to be produced by a "generic" manufacturer and rebranded. I don't know about Bilt helmets. But helmets aren't an item that you necessarily want to buy based on price alone.

RoadTrip

Chuck, just get you some flashy A-stars, Dainese, and Shoei gear. Make sure its the latest and greatest stuff, price be dammed. Then jump on your new bike and head down to the nearest Starbucks and get your pose on, all the cool kids are doing it. :)

For reals, though, there is value and there is smart value. I mean even a sensible guy like you wouldn't choose ugly gear just because it was the lowest price, right? If you can find smart looking gear from Bilt and you believe it is well made, then I say go for it. The only place I have ever drawn the line with Bilt is that ridiculous jacket that said 'RACE PRO' on it. I don't care if Dainese made a jacket out of hand stitched buffalo, I don't want 'RACE PRO' written on the front.

SixRFixR

2) Pay the money to get the uber high quality products that have complete product control and aren't likely to have fungible products.

Linguistics aside, I vote for form-follows-function. Some value-priced stuff works, so get that. Other stuff, not so much. You have to assess individual items, but buying "designer labels" just for the logo is just lame.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member
Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Try em all on. Wear what feels the best and most comfortable to you. The best gear is the gear you will wear and feel good in

latony007

get a bluetooth helmet, if you dont you will be dissapointed later. They are DOT tested and approved so i would not worry to much about brand and get what fits best. i love my Torc T12 with built in bluetooth and sun visor. Cant beat the vcan 136 for bang for buck.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

latony007

This... is not good advice. If you find a helmet that fits you, is DOT & Snell approved, and is comfortable enough you will wear every time you ride, that's the important things. If it also happens to have bluetooth, then great. But to only focus on that is silly. I have a Sena bluetooth setup in my Bell Star helmet. So that's always an option if you find you need BT.

As for other gear, you usually get what you pay for, just like anything else. How's that quote go? "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of savings on cheap gear."

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
to each his own, but i think thats pretty much what my advice was, look at all the bluetooth helmets and find which fits best and not worry so much about brand. Since there is about 100 of them i am sure he can find one that fits well and is comfy. Sena's are cool but i dont like that big giant block sticking off my helmet.

That reminds me, anyone have any news on the release date for that Skully helmet with the heads up display?

Last edited:

MiniMose

Bilt and speed and strength are the same (there is a third, and maybe fourth brand as well). they all come out of the same warehouse.

i have some bilt gear, and it is great (jacket and pants)... i have some speed and strength gear as well (summer jacket and helmet), i also have some sedici gear ( gloves and boots)

the bilt gear has been great, and surprisingly tough and well built for being the lowest of the low end gear. the S&S has held up nicely over the last year, and the sedici is rocking.

having said that.... the build quality for the built helmets is less than stellar, and i wouldnt trust them when you need them most. spend the dough and get a Scorpion, they are the best bang for the buck (most scorpion helmets quality are in line with helmets well above the price range)

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member