Looking for a protective hot weather jacket

jgelack

I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for a good protective hot weather jacket. I'd love to get a mesh jacket, but have been told they don't really provide alot of protection if you were to go down. Any opinions on the Rev It jackets? Just looking to be comfortable AND protected. I appreciate any information you can give me.

EsrTek

I went w/ quality Dianse product for my jacket, and it great for comfort, protection and lets good airflow. You will get your money's worth!!

Leather will last you a few downs or at least 1 major one. Textiles, I've heard and now seen, they melt. Also they are normally a 1 crash (even minor) and replace item.

Icon has some really good gear for the prices, but I had main zipper fail on an Icon in mere weeks of light use. Returned it and for like $50 more I got my Dianse from a CycleGear sale.

Motomama

The Rev'It jackets are very nice. I have a few of them including the mesh Tornado jacket. It provides great airflow and fits very nice too. The armor for the shoulders and elbows are good, but i had to buy the Force field back protector, because the back protector is just a piece of foam insert.

Out of all my gears which include Rev'IT, Dianise, Aerostich and BMW, I feel that the BMW Airflow 3 jacket & pants are the best. They are very well constructed with top quality armors in them. I've actually crashed in my Airflow pants and they held up great with a few scuff on my left knee. The price aren't cheap, but you will have them for along time and they are made very well with the top materials.

Wish you luck in finding the summer jacket.

TONI

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

RoadTrip

Heavily perforated leather is just as cool to me as my mesh / textile jackets, I recently started using A-stars summer race tech undergarments and they work great with perforated leather. The key is sticky wet skin or cotton t-shirts on the liners of a jacket is a poor transport system of sweat, the synthetic compression fit undergarments reduce sticking and allow a continuous removal of sweat and a cooling effect, I am kinda blown away how well this works. Also, I use the back protector inserts vs full race fit protectors, the inserts stay with the jacket and allow a pocket of air between the jacket and body, the race protectors strap to the body and trap heat. Finally, I have found no difference in black vs white, so get whatever color jacket you want.

jman

Good try bro but that's not exactly a great hot weather jacket. It's good at speed but I stopped wearing a jacket it town as the temperature went up. Still a bargain.
Well my non biased answer with no regard to the sale of my jacket would be that a hot weather jacket is in the eye of the beholder. My suggestion to the the op would be to buy the most protective jacket you can that meets your comfort level. To some hot weather gear is a tshirt. To others it's ditching the race suit for a perforated leather jacket. I would suggest just going to a store and trying on mesh textile and perforated leather jackets and find one that is a good compromise between safety and comfort for you.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

xleeb0y13x

Well my non biased answer with no regard to the sale of my jacket would be that a hot weather jacket is in the eye of the beholder. My suggestion to the the op would be to buy the most protective jacket you can that meets your comfort level. To some hot weather gear is a tshirt. To others it's ditching the race suit for a perforated leather jacket. I would suggest just going to a store and trying on mesh textile and perforated leather jackets and find one that is a good compromise between safety and comfort for you.
I was yankin your chain bro. Any fast riding the jacket goes on. I'd like to get a Stryker vest for around town. I have the same icon overlord as you do and felt like I was gonna pass out after about 45 minutes or so. But that was some low speed riding and about 100 degrees out.

Pinarello Rider

I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for a good protective hot weather jacket. I'd love to get a mesh jacket, but have been told they don't really provide alot of protection if you were to go down. Any opinions on the Rev It jackets? Just looking to be comfortable AND protected. I appreciate any information you can give me.
I have a Speed and Strength mesh jacket with a removable liner. It's comfortable from about 55* and up. Has a foam pad in the back, reinforced shoulders and hard elbow pads. Fits nice and breathes well. When it's 95*+, it gets hot inside when moving slowly or stopped at a light. That is not a deterant for me, though. It goes on no matter where I go.

I will be looking for a warmer jacket when we get to springtime, though. Personally, I don't care if my jacket survives another fall - I am only interested in it protecting me for the first. It's like a helmet - saves me once, and it owes me nothing.

Cerebus

Walked away with no major injuries. I heard the same thing about mesh jackets, but after going down with one on, and it protecting me completely, I feel they are just as good. I don't hesitate to wear a mesh jacket in the summer. Closest thing to not wearing a jacket.
Can I ask which jacket you were wearing? And how fast you were going when you went down?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Invader Jim

Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Jacket

I have one of these Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Jacket - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

I am happy with it. I like the neon sections to make myself more visible. I have been riding for six years and have never had personal experience to tell you whether or not mesh holds up in a crash. It protects me from sunburn though and generally is comfortable when in motion and hot at stoplights.

Whatever you decide to wear or not wear, heat stroke can kill you. Heat exhaustion can cause confusion, dizziness, fatigue, headache and other symptoms that make it much more likely you are going to wreck. Summer gear is a compromise. Wear what you think is best for you.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member