Timing change....Do it!

Rumpig

I lived in the north of Oz and temps got that high , never had a problem.
We have 91 ,95 and 98 octane , i use 95 which is the same as your 91 i think.

tdnathens

(mjv21 - Albert Chin - halfclickup) I never installed a 4 degree rotor on my bike because I did not want to take the time or trouble to modify my stock rotor. When I discovered I could purchase one and bolt it on I became more interested. When I saw that $70.00 and 30 minutes gets me 9.9 RWHP on a pretty much stock bike it became a no brainer. I have personally talked to and read about people who did this modification to stock bikes for 7 or 8 years now. Never heard a word about any problems. Several have even claimed better mileage. Where on line you can find this I don't know. I called the fellow that spoke to me about doing this to his stock FZ6R. He sold the bike but said he ran it for 6 years , no problems. Many times on 89 & 90 octane fuel at all temperatures. Soon as I get the time and energy I'm installing it on my bike.
Tom

Last edited:
(halfclickup) I never installed a 4 degree rotor on my bike because I did not want to take the time or trouble to modify my stock rotor. When I discovered I could purchase one and bolt it on I became more interested. When I saw that $70.00 and 30 minutes gets me 9.9 RWHP on a pretty much stock bike it became a no brainer. I have personally talked to and read about people who did this modification to stock bikes for 7 or 8 years now. Never heard a word about any problems. Several have even claimed better mileage. Where on line you can find this I don't know. I called the fellow that spoke to me about doing this to his stock FZ6R. He sold the bike but said he ran it for 6 years , no problems. Many times on 89 & 90 octane fuel at all temperatures. Soon as I get the time and energy I'm installing it on my bike.
Tom
Tom,

Thanks for the detailed reply! That’s some pretty reassuring information. By chance, would you happen to have a link handy to that 4 degree rotor?

tdnathens

(halfclickup) It's strange but c.c.d.f.motorcycleproducts dropped all their degree wheels. They just list one item. I still have the listing only because it is saved in my e-bay summary. No links will work. Go to e-bay, use their search for this item number. 153992603219. It works for me, shows 3 left for sale. If this won't work let me know.
Tom

(halfclickup) It's strange but c.c.d.f.motorcycleproducts dropped all their degree wheels. They just list one item. I still have the listing only because it is saved in my e-bay summary. No links will work. Go to e-bay, use their search for this item number. 153992603219. It works for me, shows 3 left for sale. If this won't work let me know.
Tom
Outstanding! Sure enough, there it is. Thanks man I’m gonna order one!

(mjv21 - Albert Chin - halfclickup) I never installed a 4 degree rotor on my bike because I did not want to take the time or trouble to modify my stock rotor. When I discovered I could purchase one and bolt it on I became more interested. When I saw that $70.00 and 30 minutes gets me 9.9 RWHP on a pretty much stock bike it became a no brainer. I have personally talked to and read about people who did this modification to stock bikes for 7 or 8 years now. Never heard a word about any problems. Several have even claimed better mileage. Where on line you can find this I don't know. I called the fellow that spoke to me about doing this to his stock FZ6R. He sold the bike but said he ran it for 6 years , no problems. Many times on 89 & 90 octane fuel at all temperatures. Soon as I get the time and energy I'm installing it on my bike.
Tom
Hey Tom, any updates on your installation? Mine may be here this week.

(half-clickup) It's dove hunting season here. Everything else is on the back burner. Maybe later this fall.
Tom
Mine will actually be delivered today (early). Gonna order a new set of timing cover gaskets before I do the swap, though... nothing worse than a gasket coming apart upon disassembly and not having a new one ready just in case.

On a separate note, how do you think fueling relates to this timing advance? I've got the trims turned up on my fuel controller for a little kick in the pants, but it's obviously quite rich as evidenced by the bike's smell at idle. Do you think it would be wise to turn the trims back down when running a timing advance?

tdnathens

(half-clickup) I will make no fuel changes. I removed the catalytic converter with an exhaust pipe change. Removed the air injection with block off plate install. This 4 degree wheel will be the final change I make on my bike. These three things cost very little. They are easy and fast to do. They make your bike run cooler, last longer, sound better, weight less, get better MPG and add measurable horse power. For myself it seems most everything else cost a lot, takes a lot of time and gives very little for the trouble you go through. If your young and want to spend the time and money to make other changes I think it's great. I used to do it and I love reading about what everyone else does to their bikes. On my bike the changes I made and will make are from reading and learning what everyone on this forum did to their bikes. If someone comes up with something new I feel is worth it, I'll make that change on my bike.
Tom

(half-clickup) I will make no fuel changes. I removed the catalytic converter with an exhaust pipe change. Removed the air injection with block off plate install. This 4 degree wheel will be the final change I make on my bike. These three things cost very little. They are easy and fast to do. They make your bike run cooler, last longer, sound better, weight less, get better MPG and add measurable horse power. For myself it seems most everything else cost a lot, takes a lot of time and gives very little for the trouble you go through. If your young and want to spend the time and money to make other changes I think it's great. I used to do it and I love reading about what everyone else does to their bikes. On my bike the changes I made and will make are from reading and learning what everyone on this forum did to their bikes. If someone comes up with something new I feel is worth it, I'll make that change on my bike.
Tom
Tom,

I completely understand where you're coming from. I've been on this bike for nearly 7 years and 65,000 miles now, and have even had the head completely torn down on the workbench for preventative maintenance in the past year, so I can appreciate your goals of longevity; I share those goals.

I backed off the trim adjustments on my fuel controller yesterday. Will be relying on the dyno tune in its entirety when I install this 4 degree advanced pickup rotor.