Chain maintenance

Craxican

im lazy :( ...i only clean and lube...well...ummmm....yeah...hmmm...o, once every 2000 miles...or when i re-adjust the chain...which is actually quite often (twice in the past 4 months) now that i have the +2 sprocket on the back and i'm slipping and dumping the clutch more

Roaddawg

Man, I feel a little OCD with my chain maintenance now listening to you guys!!!:D I clean and lube it once a week (if I ride it every week). I've only had to tighten mine once and it didn't really need it. The less you lube, the more your having to tighten, stretching your chain and grinding your sprockets down. It's cheap insurance to lube it regularly... at least IMO. Also, WenMark, you can get a stand from Harbor Freight for $39.99. I have it and it works perfectly fine.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Heineken

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

flyingminno

I usually wipe it down before spraying it with lube, and I don't use a stand. I simply grab the rim and rotate the tire about four times to expose the next side of the chain.

GoGreen09

Anyone seen this? PackJack - Home

Better yet, anyone have one? I have a stand, but since I live in an apartment complex, it's hard to use it. My parking stall is slanted so I have to wait for an open spot that's even.

joloy133

Didn't like the application for bikes w/o spools. It did give me an idea though: Can you get an axle bolt/rod with an extended head?

ksanbon

Thanks for the posts everyone.

I just finished lubing my chain for the first time at 1400+ miles (had the dealership do the first one at 680). It takes a little more time than my bicycle, but it was really easy.

I got the Harbor Freight swingarm stand and used Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube (dealer recommendation). That stuff works great. The chain still had a decent coat and a miniscule amount of grit despite the fact that I've been riding in the rain.

I'll go another 700 miles and see how it looks. If anything changes, I'll post again.

travstoll

Not to bring up a dead thread...but I didn't want to start a new one for such a simple question. I wanted to adjust my chain today, but I don't have the correct sockets. I know the right side of the axle is a 19 (I have that size). What is the bigger size on the left?

JonKerr

Elite Member

arkkornkid

just a couple of personal tips

I cleaned and oiled my chain for the first time this past weekend and thought I'd pass this along:

I was inspired by the PackJack that GoGreen09 mentioned in an earlier post. You can get by with using a common jackstand with a rag on top to protect your swingarm from scratches. Stand on the left side of the bike with the kickstand down. Use the rear grab bar and pull back towards you (and against the kickstand) and you'll feel the rear tire lift. Reach and place the jackstand under the swingarm in front of the exhaust. The front tire will want to rotate, straighen it back up and make sure the bike is stable. Be sure the release handle of the stand is facing the front of the bike or the rear tire will rub, thus defeating the purpose. It really is as simple as that, and here's a video of me doing it.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO-L1MPo0UM]YouTube - Yamaha FZ6R chain maintenance in a pinch[/ame]
and I went ahead and ordered the swingarm rear stand from Harbor Freight for next time.

and on another forum this comes highly recommended. No fling and doesn't attract dirt and stuff as bad, so keeps the chain cleaner longer. And says right on the can that it's safe for o-rings.... The only place I could find that had it was Lowe's. I went to HD and 3 different auto parts stores with no luck.

Last edited:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

arkkornkid

haha... nah, you'd have to be pretty 'roided up to manage that. That kickstand puts up a good fight.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

arkkornkid

Well, I figured I'd give an update on my previous suggestion.

The first time I serviced my chain I used Maximum (sp?) Chain Wax and it did a very nice job, didn't sling off at all and didn't really build up much grime over 600 milles. On my second service I used the DuPont Teflon spray..... and after about 75 miles, my upshifts started feeling lurchy. I hadn't changed anything about my technique, so it kinda took me a minute to figure out what the problem could be. Well, this continued for another 100 miles and I decided to service the chain again. This time I used the DuPont stuff then followed it up with the Chain Wax. Put a couple hundred more miles on it to make sure the issue was resolved before I posted and sure enough, things were immediately back to being silky smooth again.

So, IMO: The DuPont stuff is good but for shorter intervals, unless you seal it with the wax spray. So really, just the chain wax is fine too. The main benefit of the DuPont stuff was that it dries completely clean, although as long as you let the wax set for a couple of hours it doesn't fling off either.

bmw675

all this talk about chain maintenance, what about adjusting the chain?
i seen the post on How-to but who has done it? at what miles did you do it at. mine seems to still be in spec, just wondering when everyone (those that have many more miles than me) first had to do an adjustment.

arkkornkid

all this talk about chain maintenance, what about adjusting the chain?
i seen the post on How-to but who has done it? at what miles did you do it at. mine seems to still be in spec, just wondering when everyone (those that have many more miles than me) first had to do an adjustment.
I know what ya mean. While I was figuring out my issue, I broke out the tape measure and it was smack in the middle of spec. I put over 5k miles on each of my last two bikes with never having to adjust the slack... traded one in and the other is being stored at the moment. So it probably has more to do with how hard you ride than it does how many miles you rack up.