Chain maintenance

efforex

I was just wondering if maybe some one could put my mind at ease. When using a chain specific cleaner am i needing to worry about getting it on the tire or any where else on the bike in that area i know keep away from paint and what not but as in do i need to mask crap off before i start cleaning ? I know its safe on rubber o-rings but i thought i would ask dont want to ruin or damage my tires in any way from over spray or what not.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

BoneJj

Actually, mine snapped one of the crappy welds the third time I used it. Got a much better stand about $65 during a great sale from MCSS. Would NOT recommend the Habor Freight stand.
And to think I was considering one of these for my bike. I need to get one pretty soon though as it would be really nice to have for oil changes and so on. Hell, I'm only about 80 miles form my first oil change.

Funkmaxtor

I use two Horrible Freight stands to lift my bike. I have one for front and back. I've used both of these stands hundreds of times to lift a bunch of different bikes and have never had a problem with either one. I would not have a problem with buying another set. If a weld broke on one you should take it back and show them. They should replace it for you.

mplourde

Hi guys!

I cleaned my chain with the Kerosene method, dry it and relube it after. Since I washed my chain with Kerosene, all chain lube won't stay on it, slashing all the chain gard and also, the chain are SOOOO Noisy now!!! WTF!!?!?!?

Does my chain is scrap ??? Look like the Kerosene make like a "sealer layered" on the chain and the chain lube are not able to lube well.

Some other have experienced the same thing like me ? How I can resolve that problem ? I use Motul chain lube.

Now I'm thinking to wash again my chain but with Motul Chain Clean stuff, to see if that could stop my splashing problem and come back like brand new. What do you thing ?

RoadTrip

Hi guys!

I cleaned my chain with the Kerosene method, dry it and relube it after. Since I washed my chain with Kerosene, all chain lube won't stay on it, slashing all the chain gard and also, the chain are SOOOO Noisy now!!! WTF!!?!?!?

Does my chain is scrap ??? Look like the Kerosene make like a "sealer layered" on the chain and the chain lube are not able to lube well.

Some other have experienced the same thing like me ? How I can resolve that problem ? I use Motul chain lube.

Now I'm thinking to wash again my chain but with Motul Chain Clean stuff, to see if that could stop my splashing problem and come back like brand new. What do you thing ?
Worth a shot, I find the Motul cleaner to work very well at prepping the chain for lube. The key for me, though, has been to dry the crap out of the chain with repeated fresh scott towels after cleaning, the chain should feel tacky and dry, if it is still slippery / wet, then keep drying before applying the lube. I will say that I have converted to Motorex cleaner and like it even more, but its pretty similar to Motul, but seems to dry a bit better. I use Maxima chain wax for the lube.

I also find that more frequent cleaning and lighter coats of lube seem to work better, I often just clean by applying cleaner to a scott towel and rubbing off the old chain wax instead of directly spraying the chain, and leaving a full chain soaking / spraying to when it gets gunky. E.g. Full clean (direct spray)+wax, 200miles, add wax only, 200miles, paper towel+cleaner method, repeat 400miles, then repeat the full direct spray clean and chain detail after 800 total miles.

Last edited:

BoneJj

Hi guys!

I normally don't have that much of a problem but I use a cheap tooth brush to really work the chain for a nice deep clean. I do use a little spray chain cleaner that I got from autozone after I do the kerosene though and a quicky with the brush as well and it gets ride of even the smallest amount of "film". I haven't had an issue with it yet.

mplourde

When a cleaned my chain with Kerosene, I used a tooth brush too to clean well the chain. I dryed the chain with my air compressor and scott towel until the chain looks to be really dry, and feel dry when I touch it. But I got the same problem since. I washed my chain 2 times with Kerosene and I don't think I would repeat it.

Next step: I will try to use Motul Chain Clean or other stuff like it to see if that could stop the problem.

I'm starting to think maybe is the Motul Chain Lube aren't able to support the heat enought ! Will try also with another chain lube if the chain Clean would not relsolve that problem.

BoneJj

When a cleaned my chain with Kerosene, I used a tooth brush too to clean well the chain. I dryed the chain with my air compressor and scott towel until the chain looks to be really dry, and feel dry when I touch it. But I got the same problem since. I washed my chain 2 times with Kerosene and I don't think I would repeat it.

Next step: I will try to use Motul Chain Clean or other stuff like it to see if that could stop the problem.

I'm starting to think maybe is the Motul Chain Lube aren't able to support the heat enought ! Will try also with another chain lube if the chain Clean would not relsolve that problem.
motul is a high rated chain lube. I've been using it for years and never had an issue with it.

BKP

Dealership had pj1 lube blue label,hope it works o.k...
I've been using PJ1 Blue since I've had the 6R... it's worked great for me... after 12k miles, the chain is in great shape... (I use Motul chain cleaner).

rregal

cleaning the chain and sprockets

I purchased new my 2009 FZ6R new three years ago this month and logged 19,000 miles on it. I just changed out the original chain and sprockets (see attached photo). My maintenance regiment is cleaning the chain and sprockets every 1000 miles with kerosene dispensed using oil sprayer a “Grunge” brush and rags. I let the chain air dry for a few hours so the kerosene can evaporate. I then apply a liberal coat of Dupont Teflon Multi-Use lubricant over the chain rollers and side plates. After air dry for a 15 minutes I give the chain a dose of Dupont Teflon Chain-Saver. Both of these Dupont lube products are dry wax lubricants and resist dirt cling. The Multi-Use comes out of the can as a liquid and helps to displace any residual kerosene. The Chain-Saver comes out of the can foamy and creates a thicker wax coating. Around the 200 mile mark I’ll re-spray the chain with Chain-Saver.

Attachments

texas

how often should you oil and clean your chain. every so many miles or every 3 months.

Last edited:

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

mplourde

I purchased new my 2009 FZ6R new three years ago this month and logged 19,000 miles on it. I just changed out the original chain and sprockets (see attached photo). My maintenance regiment is cleaning the chain and sprockets every 1000 miles with kerosene dispensed using oil sprayer a “Grunge” brush and rags. I let the chain air dry for a few hours so the kerosene can evaporate. I then apply a liberal coat of Dupont Teflon Multi-Use lubricant over the chain rollers and side plates. After air dry for a 15 minutes I give the chain a dose of Dupont Teflon Chain-Saver. Both of these Dupont lube products are dry wax lubricants and resist dirt cling. The Multi-Use comes out of the can as a liquid and helps to displace any residual kerosene. The Chain-Saver comes out of the can foamy and creates a thicker wax coating. Around the 200 mile mark I’ll re-spray the chain with Chain-Saver.
On your front sproket, did you see if rubbers ring on it are marked by the chain ? On the picture, we couldn't see it.

rregal

rubbers ring marked by the chain

I examined the front sprocket for marks in the plastic and I found only these indentations created I presume by the chain outside figure 8 plates. See attached photo.
Does this help?

Attachments

mplourde

I examined the front sprocket for marks in the plastic and I found only these indentations created I presume by the chain outside figure 8 plates. See attached photo.
Does this help?
Yes! Thanks for the pics! That was I'm talked about! Mine do that also and I found the chain are more Noisy since...

Thanks again