Chain maintenance

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I found an excellent video on youtube detailing how to clean and lube the chain. He makes a great point about only applying lube to the inside circumference of the chain so that when you spin the tire, the lube is pushed into the places it needs to go, rather than being flung off the outside of the chain.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNSGEzbDxKY&feature=related]YouTube - Clean and Lube Your Chain[/ame]

Yone

Anybody know where to get the cleaner he's using? Is it "Motools"??

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody know where to get the cleaner he's using? Is it "Motools"??
Yes, I believe it is Motools. I just use WD-40. Works just fine. :thumbup:

cbzdel

thats a nice brush ha! I need to do this along with tightening my chain...

cbzdel

99vengeur you use wd-40 as a cleaner, lube or both?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
99vengeur you use wd-40 as a cleaner, lube or both?
I use WD-40 to clean the chain, then I have a specific lube that I picked up at the dealership for O-ring chains. I can't recall what the exact name of it is, but I can post it when I get home from work this evening. I like to clean and lube the chain when it is warm, that way the junk comes out easier and the lube goes in better.

I have talked with many people about the brush thing, because I saw it and wanted to find one. But people say that using a brush could push dirt into the chain and o-rings, possibly damaging them or wearing them out faster. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. So I just spray the chain really well and run it through a rag. It seemed to clean all the grime off just fine.

Verranth

WD-40 followed by stickier lube

My 2 cents = WD40 to clean, wipe off as much as you can, then apply your favorite O-Ring chain lube. Mine is Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube. Its $14 or $15 bucks a bottle.

My chain looks brand new every time =)

I would just do the WD-40, but I dont feel like spraying every weekend :p (about 500 miles)

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator

JSP

Super Moderator
Precisely the same method I use for both her bike and mine.

But, the FZ6R without a center stand is a PITA to get the job done. I'm going to have to get a paddock stand for her bike. :rant:
Yeah, it sucks without a rear stand. I ordered the harbor freight one for under $50 and it should be here this next tuesday. Will be MUCH better with the rear off the ground.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Yeah, it sucks without a rear stand. I ordered the harbor freight one for under $50 and it should be here this next tuesday. Will be MUCH better with the rear off the ground.
I have an electric 1300 lb hoist in the garage, but the issue was this:
1. Go warm up the chain (fun part!)
2. Hoist rear and clean chain.
3. Remove from hoist and go hose the chain, stopping to roll the bike several times.
4. Go heat up the chain (2nd fun part)
5. Go hoist the bike to lube the chain.

Really, really, REALLY want a paddock stand for her bike now... Could have done the whole process fairly quickly without leaving the driveway.

WenMark

How often does everyone clean & lube? I spoke to the dealer/sales and he said you can do too much sometimes but he was hesitant about saying how much. So what is everyone's experience since you have owned these type of bikes and have the real experience as to what is good.

JSP

Super Moderator
How often does everyone clean & lube? I spoke to the dealer/sales and he said you can do too much sometimes but he was hesitant about saying how much. So what is everyone's experience since you have owned these type of bikes and have the real experience as to what is good.
I have heard someone before mention being able to lube too much, but im not sure how that is possible or what, if anything, it could do harmful... Wouldnt it just sling off if their were too much?

I lube mine at least every 500 miles or when I can hear a more than normal chain clatter or after riding in the rain. Just had to adjust the slack today. Have 1100 miles on it now and went through one rain so I've lubed it 3 times now.

Verranth

I have heard someone before mention being able to lube too much, but im not sure how that is possible or what, if anything, it could do harmful... Wouldnt it just sling off if their were too much?

I lube mine at least every 500 miles or when I can hear a more than normal chain clatter or after riding in the rain. Just had to adjust the slack today. Have 1100 miles on it now and went through one rain so I've lubed it 3 times now.
Wow, you bought your bike after me and you've already had to adjust? What are you doing on that thing? :rof:

I have over 2K and I've yet to adjust anything. :thumbup:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I have over 3300 miles and have not had to adjust my chain. :p

I lube every 500-600 miles and clean it every oil change, wash or ride in the rain.

JSP

Super Moderator
Wow, you bought your bike after me and you've already had to adjust? What are you doing on that thing? :rof:

I have over 2K and I've yet to adjust anything. :thumbup:

I didnt really "need" to adjust it. It was on the outer specs, but still within. I just felt like putting it more in the middle of the slack spec. :thumbup:

Heineken

Elite Member

WenMark

Sounds like everyone does a pretty good job with theirs. I need to get going. Ok I don't have a hoist to lift it. Would a jack work? If so where would you suggest I put it so as not to damage anything. I know I'm cheap, unless I can find a center stand for $40 or less. Another question. How much play should we have in the chain. I have had all different opinions.

fz6rwolf

Don't do mine as much as should and no stand so just do the move the bike back, clean, repeat, then lube. Pain in the a$$. lol

cbzdel

i dont do mine as much as I should at all.. I ride in the rain all the time, and I still put like 700 mines on it before I get around to lubing it. So I will need a new chain sooner, or well :(

would it hurt anything else?? sprockets?