Bobski's windscreen comparisons

bobski

I've found the most useful windscreen information has been from a rider who has personally tried several and can provide direct comparisons. I've now used the original screen, the Yamaha Double Bubble, and Puig Touring so here are my summary thoughts. Hope this is helpful for riders seeking solutions for wind buffeting issues. Qualifier: I am 5'9" and ride in an upright position all the time (virtually never tuck).
1) original screen, if you're still using it I recommend you do yourself a BIG favor and get an upgrade, or just remove it or cut it down, it 'creates' significant air turbulence even at slow speeds, seriously!
2) Yamaha Double Bubble (Puig Racing screen probably falls in this category as well although I haven't personally tried it), significantly smoother air flow at low speeds and acceptable up to about 60mph/100kph.
3) Puig Touring, excellent at low speeds and VERY good at sustained higher speeds up to 80mph/130kph (I don't rider faster than that), I can feel air movement around my shoulders and chest but no actual pressure or turbulence and it's like my helmet is sitting in a pocket of very still smooth air with very little pressure even when turning my head for shoulder checks (was very surprising when I first felt it).
I will be leaving the Puig Touring on the bike unless it just feels like it's blocking too much air in the hot summer days, then I'll go to the Double Bubble or go Naked (only takes 5 min. to switch windscreens). Lots of other windscreen threads on here . . but I hope this consolidated summary helps someone :)

Last edited:

fltdriver

I'll through my 2 cents in:

Yamaha Clear Raised Bubble Windscreen- Vast improvement over the stock. No more of my head getting bobbled around. If I slightly tuck it takes all of the wind noise away. No pressure on body at 60-120. Best $60 investment I've made so far.

I'm 5'7ish and under 140 so the wind was really kicking my but before, now after a 1.5 hour ride I don't have any of the upper body strain from the stock screen rocking my shoulders/head.

CrazyCawi

I added linkback tags and also stickied. great info ty

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

WKD

I picked up the Puig Touring screen as well, very nice my only complaint is with the weather stripping they give you to put around it. I patiently (ok semi-patiently:mad:) put it on and now I am thinking it was a waste of time. Just doesn't look right to me. Has anyone else had the same thought? It was a real B!%@# to get it on where the bubble comes out. Oh and I learned something...the screws are plastic :jerk:. Guess I'll be looking for those White coloured replacements sooner than I thought. Anyone ever see them in colours?

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

WKD

Not the best pics, I'll try to do better when in it is a normal day. The bright light is the sun even though at the time there was rain/thunder and lightning.

I picked the touring screen up from A Vicious cycle here in Canada. Product - A Vicious Cycle

The funny thing is the picture is the racing shield not the touring one but the description is correct, it really is the touring as you can see.

Attachments

Spunky99

I noticed the same thing. I cut off about 1.5" from the stock screen and all of a sudden the buffeting stopped and I tested it up to 95 mph.....just before I crashed and totaled the bike.:)

bobski

I picked up the Puig Touring screen as well, very nice my only complaint is with the weather stripping they give you to put around it. I patiently (ok semi-patiently:mad:) put it on and now I am thinking it was a waste of time. Just doesn't look right to me. Has anyone else had the same thought? It was a real B!%@# to get it on where the bubble comes out. Oh and I learned something...the screws are plastic :jerk:. Guess I'll be looking for those White coloured replacements sooner than I thought. Anyone ever see them in colours?
I looked at that weather stripping and the ridges in the windscreen and didn't even bother trying to install the stripping, I'm fine with the screen without it, even if the top edge is 'exposed'. If I did install it I think I'd just put it across the top as far as the ridges but stop when it got to the ridges.

Last edited:

linkgt

Has anyone tried the zero Gravity windscreen? My Puig racing screen broke when I tiped my bike over 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't mind buying the PUIG again, but I would like to know someones opinion on the Zero gravity screen. Thanks

B

Barny

Thanks bobski, very helpful

I am an older rider; just sold my BMW RT after riding it for ten years including a trip to Alaska. Sold it because I want to downsize due to age and the inevitable physical deterioration that accompanies aging (enjoy it while you can).

One of the bikes I am considering is the fz6r. My Beemer had a wonderful adjustable windshield. I don't expect to be able to equal that level of comfort on the fz6r but bobski's description of the after market windshields is encouraging.

Should I get a naked bike that would take a cruiser type screen? Anyone had to make this adjustment? If so I'd be obliged to hear your comments.

Superzoom

I am an older rider; just sold my BMW RT after riding it for ten years including a trip to Alaska. Sold it because I want to downsize due to age and the inevitable physical deterioration that accompanies aging (enjoy it while you can).

One of the bikes I am considering is the fz6r. My Beemer had a wonderful adjustable windshield. I don't expect to be able to equal that level of comfort on the fz6r but bobski's description of the after market windshields is encouraging.

Should I get a naked bike that would take a cruiser type screen? Anyone had to make this adjustment? If so I'd be obliged to hear your comments.
It's not quite clear what your question is, as you say you're considering the FZ6R, but want opinions on naked bikes with windscreens. Maybe start a new thread, and describe your ideal bike characteristics.

bobski

Hey Barney, I'm an older rider too (60+) and find the FZ6R very comfortable now with the Puig Touring windscreen, and the riding position has always felt great to me. I also like the fact that for hot weather or around town riding, if you enjoy more very smooth air on your torso, it only takes about 5 minutes to remove the screen and replace it with a cut down stock screen or just leave it off completely and the air movement becomes absolutely smooth! A naked bike with a cruiser style screen would be a wild card unless you can find a reliable comparison to the FZ with the Puig.

B

Barny

Hey Barney, I'm an older rider too (60+) and find the FZ6R very comfortable now with the Puig Touring windscreen, and the riding position has always felt great to me. I also like the fact that for hot weather or around town riding, if you enjoy more very smooth air on your torso, it only takes about 5 minutes to remove the screen and replace it with a cut down stock screen or just leave it off completely and the air movement becomes absolutely smooth! A naked bike with a cruiser style screen would be a wild card unless you can find a reliable comparison to the FZ with the Puig.
Thanks again bobski! I appreciate the feedback. Based on your experience it sounds like I could be satisfied with the touring windshield.

After I sold my BMW RT I downsized to a Burgman 400 scooter and soon realized I had gone too far and started looking for a suitable bike. Sort of settled on the Bonneville, retro style being well suited to my own vintage. Then I found out that everything that looks like a crotch rocket isn't actually a sport bike. I was able to demo the new Ninja 650 and decided I didn't like it any better than the Bonnie. It was a short demo but I thought I was feeling too much heat on my right foot. Is this an issue with the fz6r? The two bikes have similar exhaust arrangements.

Yamaha is having a demo event in my area next week so I will get to try the fz then. Looking forward to that.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

bobski

Thanks again bobski! I appreciate the feedback. Based on your experience it sounds like I could be satisfied with the touring windshield.

After I sold my BMW RT I downsized to a Burgman 400 scooter and soon realized I had gone too far and started looking for a suitable bike. Sort of settled on the Bonneville, retro style being well suited to my own vintage. Then I found out that everything that looks like a crotch rocket isn't actually a sport bike. I was able to demo the new Ninja 650 and decided I didn't like it any better than the Bonnie. It was a short demo but I thought I was feeling too much heat on my right foot. Is this an issue with the fz6r? The two bikes have similar exhaust arrangements.

Yamaha is having a demo event in my area next week so I will get to try the fz then. Looking forward to that.
No problems with heat for me. Enjoy the demo ride, that should tell you a lot . . just remember that the wind buffeting can be readily remedied.

Y

Y2too1KK

thank you

Thanks for your summary point . I am plan to pruchase a windscreen . I think I can know a little how to choose the windscreen now . Thank you guys;)

B

bullfinchgold

specical windscreen

I noticed the same thing. I cut off about 1.5" from the stock screen and all of a sudden the buffeting stopped and I tested it up to 95 mph.....just before I crashed and totaled the bike.:)
any body has a specical windscrren here . both the color or the design ???:):):rolleyes: