3k mile maintainece what to expect ?

c0re

Hey guys,

I bought my fz6r back in April it's a 2011 yamaha demo bike, so it had 11 hundo on it but had a full service and sold to me at used price but with a new warranty, so that was good.

Anyways I'm approaching my 3k riding mark meaning the bike will have about 41 on it.

I was just wondering what to expect service and cost wise, what do I need and what do I not need right now, I'm figuring to take it to the dealer I bought it from as they seem pretty reputable, but I am not a mech savvy guy so I could get ripped off if I don't know what I need/how much it should cost.

I just called the service dpt and they told me they will want to change the:

Oil & Oil filter (ofcourse)

Coolent

Top off brakes and something else. (he listed things off fast and by the time I was off the phone I had already forgotten)

Lube and adjust the chain

They're might of been a couple other things, but he told me the price would be about 240 + parts but that it would be under 300.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks for the input.

Oh really, well alright then. So I should take it to another place then and just have them give it an inspection and change the oil and oil filter? When do I need to start worrying about other stuff? I referred to the manual but it has a check next to almost every thing for every time frame listed

Yamaha built pretty solid bike that require very basic maintenance. You always want to keep an eye on it but don't over do it. Coolant is good for 2 years regardless of mileage, oil and filter every 4K unless you abuse it. Clean and lube the chain every 2 gas tank or after every ride in the rain. Also make sure the chain adjustment is between 45-55mm loose. Tire condition and pressure once a week. Bleed he brakes once a year or if you feel like they are getting spongy.

thanks brother, just saved me a handful

If your not able to do a oil change yourself then I would just call around and check prices for a oil change, most of the time local speed shops have better prices as well as better techs than the stealership

3000 mile service for me was like $280 at the dealership. so, sounds about right. i'm not very mechanically inclined, nor do i trust myself for safety concerns. so, i just pay and have them do it. :|

There's pretty much no point in changing oil if you dont change the filter (most oils can go way past 3k too) I you don't change the filter all that dirt that is caught in the filter still contaminates the oil

On bikes this is even more true because of the wet clutch, on cars that don't get driven much it's not as big of a deal if you still do 3k oil changes

Last edited:

Back