Wind..I hate you so much

Fzara2000

So I was on the highway this afternoon, 70-80mph, and my head was getting thrown around in the wind, which was around 15-20mph,
56 degree weather in New Jersey. I have a Shoei full face rf-1100, a rear hump on my leather vented jacket, and a smoked (stock? I think) windscreen.

I had to literally sit on the tank (with my chest) driving home at this speed, which was super uncomfortable after a while. I was gripping the tank with my knees lightly, had a tight grip with my hands on the handlebars, holding on for dear life, altho my arms were sort of loose. I was riding the right lane (away from cars...highway was fairly empty)

I also noticed it's very hard to turn my head back to make a lane change, because when I look to the side, the wind blows my head around making it hard to change lanes quickly.

What am I doing wrong?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

behindXgrnXeyes

I am person number 2 with a great helmet and a horrible bobble on the highway...but its not to bad for me to adjust mirrors and lay on my tank, sitting way back on the seat....but I also agree...i wouldnt mind not having to do that....

Rookasaki

I had to cute my Saturday ride short because of wind. 20-30 mph winds suck! Sometimes mother nature wins...;)

Chucker

When I was out yesterday on the highway doing 70-80 MPH, whenever I did a shoulder check, my visor would start to open. I've never had that happen before, on a naked bike or a faired sportbike.

longtube55

cuoldn't agree more on the wind

Yeah, it's never a fun day when you have to try and compensate for wind speed. You can't hang it in the turns with any confidence because all it takes is one quick gust and you could be in for a world of hurt.
My semi-daily ride back and forth to class includes a short jog down I-81. It isn't much more than a mile or so, but I can't stand the wind blowing across the bridge or coming off the back of tractor trailers. That's why I try to stick to the back roads as much as possible. It sometimes takes longer but in my opinion that is why I have the bike, who cares how long it takes(if ur not in a hurry) as long as the overall ride is enjoyable.

Fzara2000

When you all ride, do you tuck in and sit on the tank like I do at that speed? I mean, you can't sit upright at that speed whatsoever, even with a new windscreen right? I'm literally lying on the tank.

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Detrich

AFDavis11

It sounds to me like you are doing a few things "wrong". First, wind on the highway doing 60-80 mph isn't really "wind". Second, if you are tucked down then the second you untuck your head will get a sudden blast of "wind". At 80 mph this really isn't wind, but simple airflow over the bike. You should be expecting it. The helmet will get hit by this "wind" and then torqued in whatever way the helmet was designed to compensate. Most helmets are aerodynamic facing forwards, not sideways. It sounds to me like you are turning your head into a blast of airflow.

Wind, in the common motorcycle sense, is a cross wind. If you are having trouble with cross winds then you need to learn to counter-steer the bike into the cross wind. There should be no reason to be concerned about wind, nor should it have any effect on the line that the bike travels.

Although I can't give you a direct answer. As stated you can either remove the screen so you don't have a sudden airflow burst over your helmet or you can increase the size of the windscreen.

I would simply suggest that you learn to raise your head straight up, then look to the right or left, after you get your helmet into the airflow coming around the bike. I have seen sportbike riders peek left or right while keeping their heads down below the shield, but I can't say whether that makes any sense or not.

Luckily for me I don't need to bang around at 80mph.

Deputyfarva252

I went for a ride today winds were 20 mph and gusting to 35 mph , big mistake. i came across a open field the cross wind hit the bike ( im tucked in mind you) and it almost threw me off the bike.My back tire skipped sideways luckly i wasnt going very fast otherwise i would have crashed, no doubt. Deff got the heart going.

Fzara2000

Alot more comfortable with cross wind and air flow on the highway today but I almost crashed from driving too close to a truck today, I think I learned a very valuable lesson lol.

My bike pulled left (hard) and then right (hard) and felt like I was about to Lose control. People, trucks=bad. Lesson learned.

CrazyCawi

Alot more comfortable with cross wind and air flow on the highway today but I almost crashed from driving too close to a truck today, I think I learned a very valuable lesson lol.

My bike pulled left (hard) and then right (hard) and felt like I was about to Lose control. People, trucks=bad. Lesson learned.
trucks as in semi's? I have no problem rocking it up sto 100mph to get passed one of them bastards I hate sitting behing them or on the side they spook me, I saw a semi tire blow out and shoot across the highway and knock a car sideways it hit so hard:eek:...So semis+me...we dont mix

Sparkxx1

If I'm behind a semi I wait for a lane change and pass them. I don't fear them, but I do respect that they won't feel me crashing into them lmao.

CrazyCawi

on this topic...any tips on cornering during cross wind burts? Im hoping jonkerr may chime in on this but others im sure have good advice as well....Now Im talking freeway speeds, traffic flowing, and your going through a corner....(not talking about buffeting im talking actual cross winds as we get alot of open freeway in minnesota)

AFDavis11

I have no good advice, but what I do is just ride the bike, keep my body relaxed, and quickly counter steer into any wind. Fear or tenseness will add problems when dealing with wind. Once you learn that you can still control the bike the fear and concern dissipates and you begin to treat wind like the motion of a roller coaster, less scary, more fun.

I hit a big crosswind the other day commuting to work. I think the back end slid out. Scary, but it was over so fast that I just thought about how impressive it was.

The bike is tall and light, not the best options in wind.

Spunky99

Before I crashed on Saturday, I was testing out my stock windscreen that I cut about 2.5" off and it was great. None of that wind knocking my helmet around at different speeds or anything. A nice steady air flow over the screen to about my arm pits. I was very pleased.