Wind..I hate you so much

Y

yellowfz

I have no good advice, but what I do is just ride the bike, keep my body relaxed, and quickly counter steer into any wind. Fear or tenseness will add problems when dealing with wind. Once you learn that you can still control the bike the fear and concern dissipates and you begin to treat wind like the motion of a roller coaster, less scary, more fun.

I hit a big crosswind the other day commuting to work. I think the back end slid out. Scary, but it was over so fast that I just thought about how impressive it was.

The bike is tall and light, not the best options in wind.
+1
Wife and I went for a ride Saturday with a friend of hers and her husband from her work , winds were 15 to 20 mph out of the South (they got tired of the wind and headed for home , they were on a Goldwing) , my wife and I ride in the wind quite often (have to or we would not ride at all), her little VStar 650 handles it well .
We rode with the wind for a while , but bad thing about that is you have to go the opposite direction to get home again .
Would rather ride in a high steady wind than a very gusty wind , steady you can adjust to , gust will just sweep you away all of a sudden .

jccity6

So I was on the highway this afternoon, 70-80mph, and my head was getting thrown around in the wind, which was around 15-20mph,
56 degree weather in New Jersey. I have a Shoei full face rf-1100, a rear hump on my leather vented jacket, and a smoked (stock? I think) windscreen.

I had to literally sit on the tank (with my chest) driving home at this speed, which was super uncomfortable after a while. I was gripping the tank with my knees lightly, had a tight grip with my hands on the handlebars, holding on for dear life, altho my arms were sort of loose. I was riding the right lane (away from cars...highway was fairly empty)

I also noticed it's very hard to turn my head back to make a lane change, because when I look to the side, the wind blows my head around making it hard to change lanes quickly.

What am I doing wrong?
I had the same helmet before and now that I have an Arai I realize how much more the Shoei got tossed around. Not that the helmet is the only prob. but it wont help. I cut my screen down by at least 3 in. and it is much cleaner air now. Takes a little getting used to at 80+ with more air on your torso but its clean and not trying to push my helmet off from air below the chin
my .02

yellowFZ6r

I cant relate as well. Last Sunday I rode home from out of town, maybe 2 hour ride, in probably 30-35 mph winds doing 75-80. It was definitely a miserable ride, and I was just relieved when I got home because there were times where it actualyl made me nervous, and im 100% comfortable on my bike!!