warm cold lubing chain *warning, graphic image*

rorku5

I just can't get my head around it,, on the can it says to lube chain when warm,, but after cleaning the chain,, I can't ride it unlubed to warm it up can I??
Id have to lube the thing cold wouldn't I??
Any tips for a dummy like myself??

Rich007

The only thing you are doing when you are lubing the chain is putting a layer on the outside, the internals are already lubed and sealed with o rings. What you are essentially doing is lubing the outside of the o rings. Do not wire brush the chain to clean it either of you risk chewing up the o rings.

NUISANCE

This may be the wrong thing to do but after I clean it and it's still on the rear stand I pop it in first and let the chain warm up while it's in the air still before I lube it up. Might be wrong but it's how I do it.

BKP

You might want to reconsider that method... From another forum:

"I will start off by saying that I am a worthless squid rookie and I suck at everything in life.
I was about to go for a ride today and my chain was pretty nasty, so I put it up on the stands and got out the wd-40 and a rag. I started the bike, put it in gear and let it idle. I sprayed the chain down really well and I put the rag up to it and it got caught and took my hand with it through the rear sprocket. I had to have everything above my last joint amputated on my index, pointer and my ring finger on my right hand. Thankfully I am left handed. It was a stupid mistake on my part and now I will forever pay the price for it. Say what you will, flame away, I don't care. I have accepted it and I take full responsibility. I made a choice (not knowing any better) and I will live with the consequences for the rest of my life. I thought I would post this so that 1.) no one else ever makes this mistake and 2.) To show that you don't have to be riding for a bike to get you hurt."

Yeah, I know it's graphic. Graphic is best when you want to get a *very* important point across...

Maadi

I just can't get my head around it,, on the can it says to lube chain when warm,, but after cleaning the chain,, I can't ride it unlubed to warm it up can I??
Id have to lube the thing cold wouldn't I??
Any tips for a dummy like myself??
I usually go for a short ride to warm it up before I clean it.

rorku5

Cheers rich, maddi, I might not do that nuisance, just in case,, and that shits full on bkp!!!!! I'll go a rag maybe toothbrush, , so it's sweet to go for a quick ride between cleaning and lubing??

bleedinblue

Elite Member

NUISANCE

This may be the wrong thing to do but after I clean it and it's still on the rear stand I pop it in first and let the chain warm up while it's in the air still before I lube it up. Might be wrong but it's how I do it.
Did I say go anywhere near the chain while it was running? I am pretty sure I didn't but thanks for putting words in my mouth. It says CLEAN THE CHAIN then warm it up THEN LUBE IT. I didn't say have it running while you clean it, lube it or even go any where near moving parts.

1. Put the engine on the stand after the chain is warmed up. Easier to remove the old crap when it is warm than when it is cold.
2. Clean the chain with WD40, motul or what ever you want.
3. Turn the bike on and put it in 1st letting the chain warm up. If you are stupid enough to touch the chain at this point you deserve to loose a few fingers.
4. After the chain is warmed up turn off the bike and apply the lube
5. Drive the bike away with all 10 digits and not have to visit the nurse AKA me in the hospital.

Last edited:

rorku5

Thanks again, it came up a treat, ,, dunno if anyone ever deserves to lose fingers though, ,,,, I for one appreciated that word of warning, it didn't seem like he was putting any words in mouths, , just a friendly reminder of what could happen. .

NUISANCE

When he said "You might want to reconsider that method" it was aimed at me. He insinuated that I suggested you go near the chain while it was running or that I go near the chain while it is running. If someone is that damn stupid they deserve to lose a finger or 2.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Did I say go anywhere near the chain while it was running? I am pretty sure I didn't but thanks for putting words in my mouth. It says CLEAN THE CHAIN then warm it up THEN LUBE IT. I didn't say have it running while you clean it, lube it or even go any where near moving parts.

1. Put the engine on the stand after the chain is warmed up. Easier to remove the old crap when it is warm than when it is cold.
3. Turn the bike on and put it in 1st letting the chain warm up. If you are stupid enough to touch the chain at this point you deserve to loose a few fingers.
5. Drive the bike away with all 10 digits and not have to visit the nurse AKA me in the hospital.
calm your panties bro

BKP

Nope. You didn't say you go near the chain... and I don't see where I was putting words in your mouth.

Lefty, up there, had no intention of going anywhere near the sprocket with his now less than functional fingers.
When you put a bike on a stand in your garage, turn it on, and put it into gear, you've, frankly, just become a Darwin candidate. That was my only point.

Good luck, now, and in the future...

bmw675

Nope. You didn't say you go near the chain... and I don't see where I was putting words in your mouth.

Lefty, up there, had no intention of going anywhere near the sprocket with his now less than functional fingers.
When you put a bike on a stand in your garage, turn it on, and put it into gear, you've, frankly, just become a Darwin candidate. That was my only point.

1. Lefty did have intentions of coming near the moving chain.
2. The PSA is always appreciated, but I think it was obvious that he wasn't repeating what stubs did.
3. I wouldn't consider having the bike on in gear automatically making you a Darwin candidate. It's reckless actions after doing so that can cause problems.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
2. The PSA is always appreciated, but I think it was obvious that he wasn't repeating what stubs did.
3. I wouldn't consider having the bike on in gear automatically making you a Darwin candidate. It's reckless actions after doing so that can cause problems.
Or complacent actions... Getting too comfortable... Just putting your hand in the wrong spot on accident.

Hell I did it myself last week and almost lost my finger. Not on the bike but a drill press. Use the damn thing EVERY day at work. Tightened up the chuck with the key but for some damn reason I forgot to take the key out. The key is tied to the base of the press so we dont lose it. Turned it on and it caught my finger and sucked it in with the tether. Pulled away just in time and all it got was a chunk out of my finger. Thank God I slipped out of it. If not, it would have just kept spinning and ripped my finger right off. Or got my whole hand/arm and pulled my whole hand off..

NUISANCE

calm your panties bro
Actually I switched to boxer briefs, founds that panties rode up to much when I was riding, but thanks for the insight though.

You said rethink my method, then posted up a story of some moron who lost some fingers. Why would I rethink my method unless I was doing what lefty was doing? And yes he did when the bike was running with the chain moving the decided to clean the chain.

How does having the bike on the stand while running make me a darwin canidate? The stand is solid, so unless I am on the bike practicing my moves for the twisties how would I become a darwin canidate? I'm not touching the moving parts and how it is going to fall off? Thanks for your insight that I am an idiot, wait sorry, a darwin canidate.

Finally someone who can read.

Lock this up and get it over with already.

CrazyCawi

Actually I switched to boxer briefs, founds that panties rode up to much when I was riding, but thanks for the insight though.

You said rethink my method, then posted up a story of some moron who lost some fingers. Why would I rethink my method unless I was doing what lefty was doing? And yes he did when the bike was running with the chain moving the decided to clean the chain.

How does having the bike on the stand while running make me a darwin canidate? The stand is solid, so unless I am on the bike practicing my moves for the twisties how would I become a darwin canidate? I'm not touching the moving parts and how it is going to fall off? Thanks for your insight that I am an idiot, wait sorry, a darwin canidate.

Finally someone who can read.

Lock this up and get it over with already.
He didn't call you a Darwin candidate directly.