warm cold lubing chain *warning, graphic image*

BKP

1. Lefty did have intentions of coming near the moving chain.
2. The PSA is always appreciated, but I think it was obvious that he wasn't repeating what stubs did.
3. I wouldn't consider having the bike on in gear automatically making you a Darwin candidate. It's reckless actions after doing so that can cause problems.
Ok, look.

My admonition about putting a bike in gear in a garage, on a stand, was just that. It's a stupid f'ing thing to do. Period. The picture and story were an exclamation point of *one* possible ending.

Riding without a helmet is a stupid f'ing thing to do as well. It doesn't mean you're going to wreck and juice your melon into applesauce... in fact, I'll wager no one that rides without a helmet *dreams* that it'll happen to them. I'll go further and bet that *many* accidents befalling lidless riders are *NOT* even their fault. But, it happens... so often that it skews the stats.

The point is mitigating risk.

This is not pointing fingers at any individual. As a matter of fact, it's not meant to be personal at all. I would say the same to a riding buddy running on worn tires, or without armor. It doesn't mean they're going to do anything that will end badly... It simply makes it more possible...

Why is it that it's necessary to turn a well meaning admonition personal, or detract from it's intended purpose by nit-picking the ever-loving shit out of it?

It's a stupid, dumbass, thing to do. Simply because it sets the stage for bad things to *possibly* happen, in a myriad of ways. Period.

Have a nice day...

And, ride safe...

NUISANCE

:cough:

We should tell these guys to take the bike off the stand when they do that. I looks like they have never done it before and have no idea how to ride anyway.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTtqI8_m3f8]Moto GP Bikes Get Warmed Up - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5DILIDC-T4"]Dani Pedrosa's Winning MotoGP bike Warmup - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9108FaTcyQU"]Termignoni - MotoGP 2011 Simoncelli's Honda RC212V warming up - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9108FaTcyQU"]Termignoni - MotoGP 2011 Simoncelli's Honda RC212V warming up - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuPLnMvfGBA"]TERMIGNONI - MotoGP 2012: Dani Pedrosa's Honda RC213V warming up - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

BoneJj

I tend to just use a larger tupperware type container, with a large plastic liner under the bike. Fill the container with a little bit of kerosene and use a small hand pump to pump the gas up and over the chain to rinse it. Sometimes there is a lot of grime and the kerosene needs to be swapped a couple times. I do this until the chain is clean, I also use a small brush to work the lube off the chain, I do have a grunge brush as well.

Afterwords I will leave it on the stand and run it on the stand for a couple minutes to heat the chain up a little. Sometimes I will use my heat gun to add some heat to the chain nicely, it has a rather low heat setting that I like to use for this kind of thing.

The heat does help a lot with aiding the lube to spread easier on the chain. Once it is on nice and smooth I let it sit for a bit and then go for a short ride around the neighborhood. I sometimes put an extra shield piece that I made out of some plastic to catch any flinging lube bits so that I don't have a bigger mess to clean up later.

My method tends to work pretty well for me and I will probably continue to use it. I do however want to try to switch to a different type of lube. Something a little less messy and that thickens up faster. I'll have to research things a little more.

JSP

Super Moderator

:confused: Most all of them are just getting bump started then straight to neutral. ???

And I have seen many professionals screw up big time. Cops shoot themselves, pros lose fingers (didnt Jesse James just lose part of one???), etc. Seriously. Its an added risk that isnt really needed. Why so adamant in arguing about it? Dont really care if you do it or not, just accept that its not the best practice and has some pretty serious consequences that can happen as a result of it.

Last edited:

Brock Kickass

In the words of Ron Burgundy: "Boy, that escalated quickly!"

I run my bike in gear on the centre stand to lube the chain all the time. I am aware of what the chain can do to me, and I am careful not to let my hands get too close because I need my fingers.

Like the classic ATGATT argument, there are different degrees of risk that different people are willing to take. Personally, I am willing to apply chain lube from a spray can with a straw on it with my bike in gear on the centre stand as opposed to getting a friend to push my bike across a parking lot while I spray the chain.

Everyone just relax a bit. Instead of concentrating on who said what, just concentrate on keeping all of your fingers. I've been on this forum long enough to know that most of the people here are not mean-spirited in the least; especially the "regulars." Sometimes people get carried away making their point when they're concerned for their safety, and sometimes people take it personally when others are just concerned about their safety. I'm sure, though, that nobody in this conversation has a problem with anyone in this conversation.

Bottom line, running a bike in gear on the stand is not a guaranteed way to lose your hand, but it can be dangerous. If this is the way you choose to maintain your chain, keep your hands away from it for crying out loud! If you are not comfortable with doing it that way, get your buddy to roll your bike around in neutral while you clean/lube your chain. Just don't let your guard down; if your buddy isn't paying attention and pushing too hard with his headphones on he won't hear you screaming when your fingers get sucked in to the sprocket and severed. :)

BKP

:cough:

We should tell these guys to take the bike off the stand when they do that. I looks like they have never done it before and have no idea how to ride anyway...
Oh, for God's sake... You know something... have at it... I really don't give a shit one way or another what *you* do...
I"ve a friend who insists on quoting Gump... "stupid is as stupid does..."

I'll have to let him know he's been right all this time...

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FJRGuy

I clean and lube the chains on my bikes, at least the ones that have chains anyway, with the bike on a stand and in gear. I know and understand the risk, but I'm lazy. :)

I generally believe that it's not a safe practice, but it's a calculated risk. I take no offence to a warning and reminder what can happen when working around a chain under power. In fact I appreciate the reality check! :thumbup:

FastFreddy

I've done the drying out part and the apply lube part with the wheel turning in 1st gear on the stand a couple of times, knowing that it was dangerous at the time. I only put the lube nozzle near the chain, my hands were well back and I don't have long hair. I only did it a few times, then decided the stress and worry wasn't worth it.

This is how I clean my chain :
After cleaning the chain with kero spray to remove grit between links, I dry the chain with a rag, wait 5-10 minutes, then lube up with the cardboard behind the chain to catch overspray. I normally take the key out when doing this, so I don't even have to think about it.

What to do in those 5-10 minutes :
The kero from the rag is also good for cleaning crap off the rim while I'm near there.

Then afterwards I wash the rear tyre with soapy water to make sure there's no kero, lube or general greasy stuff there.

Last edited:

SurfJunkie

No need to clean, then ride, then lube.

The correct and SAFEST way is:
1. Go ride normally for about 10-15 mins. ( or time it right and clean/lube after a ride. )
2. Put it up on the rear stand when you get home.
3. Put your shitty clothes on.
4. Clean the chain like normal. Grunge brushes do damage to chain o-rings. Get rid of it in favor of rags. ( Typically speaking this means no key required. Spin the rear tire with your free hand. Watch the rag hand and rear sprocket. You can still do some nice damage even hand powered.. )
5. Lube chain and walk away till you ride next. ( depending on lube product. Motul says to let dry before riding. )

Heat guns, buckets of kerosene , running bike in gear, etc. are all not needed. The above takes about 10 mins or less without the warm up ride. Why over complicate it / introduce risk over something so simple ?

Maadi

No need to clean, then ride, then lube.

The correct and SAFEST way is:
1. Go ride normally for about 10-15 mins. ( or time it right and clean/lube after a ride. )
2. Put it up on the rear stand when you get home.
3. Put your shitty clothes on.
4. Clean the chain like normal. Grunge brushes do damage to chain o-rings. Get rid of it in favor of rags. ( Typically speaking this means no key required. Spin the rear tire with your free hand. Watch the rag hand and rear sprocket. You can still do some nice damage even hand powered.. )
5. Lube chain and walk away till you ride next. ( depending on lube product. Motul says to let dry before riding. )
This is pretty much exactly what I do. Except I also clean the front sprocket. Last time I did this, I guess I put too much lube on, because when I got to work the next day I saw splatters of dark stuff "slung" on the chain. Is that due to too much lube (I did wipe the chain after it had sat a while), or did I not clean it well enough? I use WD-40 for the cleaning part, just because we have it and it's easy. Time to look for something else??

SurfJunkie

This is pretty much exactly what I do. Except I also clean the front sprocket. Last time I did this, I guess I put too much lube on, because when I got to work the next day I saw splatters of dark stuff "slung" on the chain. Is that due to too much lube (I did wipe the chain after it had sat a while), or did I not clean it well enough? I use WD-40 for the cleaning part, just because we have it and it's easy. Time to look for something else??
Ill also do the front sprocket/cover every other chain clean.

What you are seeing could be flung WD-40, or flung "lube" of your choosing. I used both the Motul clean and lube. Now i use Maxima powersports clean with Motul lube.

The Motul stuff actually dries somewhat so I really see minimal fling. Still a little, but very minimal. You can also minimize fling by : after chain lube, use a rag with cleaner on it to clean the outside plates of the chain off. Lube really only needs to be on the o-rings, and a little on the rollers wont hurt.